Exo Mountain Gear pack

First time elk hunting in Montana mountains with a pack. Looking at either the K3 3200 or 4800. I want something adequate for mostl likely 1-3 day hunt at a time but nothing so bitch that I’m swimming in it. Either the price I’m trying to find something in the middle that would work for the shorter hunts but yet also be able go for 3-5 days In the future. To me it looks like for not much more weight or size you gain a lot more room with the 4800? What’s everyone’s thoughts? Thx

wnelson14

WKR
The owner of Exo does 10 day sheep hunts in the 3200. Either will work, both compact down for day use.

TX_Diver

WKR
I have a 4800 and never thought it was too big for day hunts.

Probably selling it this year if you're interested. Trying a kifaru 22 mag that a buddy turned me onto.

OP
H

Ebby

WKR
4800 for sure. Cinches down to same size as 3200 but a lot more room when you need it. If you have to carry food and water then you will really appreciate the space. I actually just bought a 6400 bag because I wanted more room and they compress down so well.

Lee

OP
H
4800 for sure. Cinches down to same size as 3200 but a lot more room when you need it. If you have to carry food and water then you will really appreciate the space. I actually just bought a 6400 bag because I wanted more room and they compress down so well.

Lee
I didn’t really look at the 6400 to much but your the 2nd person to say that so I will definitely look at that bag as well. Thx

One thing to keep in mind is the dimensions. As much as I like the 6400 is deeper than it’s wider. So full the load will be further away from your back especially if you have meat in the load shelf.

I'm gonna throw in a third opinion:

Get the 6400.

Somewhat recently I was making a similar decision(with SG bags though) and decided on the big 7900.

The weight savings is minimal between the sizes. The price difference is minimal. Most of the bags will collapse down for a "daypack" mode... but none of them will expand if you need it... and then you're out there spending $250-$300 on a different bag.

Just buy the big one and be done with it.

Jbxl20

WKR
We decided to do a local backpack hunt in a state forest for 2 nights. Rifle season mid December. I had my 6400 loaded for a 2 night trip. Rifle, saddle gear, climbing sticks. Real food, a couple beers, axe. Etc. get a big one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The owner of Exo does 10 day sheep hunts in the 3200. Either will work, both compact down for day use.
Splitting part of his gear with his friend/ guide too if you listened close to his pack video. He can't fit another thing in that pack either. He also put an empty water bladder in it for the video. Gonna be real tight once he puts water in that. His packing would have been much simpler using a 4800, but Steve chases ounces.

mlgc20

WKR
It depends on your gear. I can easily hunt for a week out of the 3200. I have the 4800 and 6400, but I don't need that much space too often. I do like the horseshoe zipper setup of the 4800. But, still overall prefer the size of the 3200.

Paul J

FNG
First time elk hunting in Montana mountains with a pack. Looking at either the K3 3200 or 4800. I want something adequate for mostl likely 1-3 day hunt at a time but nothing so bitch that I’m swimming in it. Either the price I’m trying to find something in the middle that would work for the shorter hunts but yet also be able go for 3-5 days In the future. To me it looks like for not much more weight or size you gain a lot more room with the 4800? What’s everyone’s thoughts? Thx
4800 is very versatile and packs down small, but sure the 3200 would do the trick as well.

Rob5589

WKR
I just looked up the EXO packs because, honestly I didn't know what they were. I chocked on my coffee! $600 is a lot of frog skins!!:shock:
All the top tier packs are an expense; Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, etc. But you're buying a high quality piece that will handle heavy loads and last a multitude of seasons.

Jbxl20

WKR
I just looked up the EXO packs because, honestly I didn't know what they were. I chocked on my coffee! $600 is a lot of frog skins!!:shock:
All the top tier packs are an expense; Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, etc. But you're buying a high quality piece that will handle heavy loads and last a multitude of seasons.

That’s weird since you just posted you have an EXO k2 in another thread?