Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Your “rear rest” simply fills the void. Bino harness is great because you lay it flat, sideways, tall ways, very versatile for different angle needs.

You still need to control the rear of the gun with your off hand like you mentioned. My go to is the little “saddle” that gets formed between thumb and pointer. That’s where the toe sits. Hand and finger position changes slightly depending on additional fine adjustments needed, while still controlling the rear of the gun in the saddle.

Yes, that's what I was trying to explain. I was practicing controlling the butt stock with the toe cradled in the between my thumb and pointer finger while gripping my bino harness with my last three fingers in order to better stabilize that hand.

What I'm having trouble understanding is how @Formidilosus was recommending to use the bino harness. I don't know if he's using it while wearing it, or taking it off and putting it under that hand like a rear bag. Taking it off and putting under that hand doesn't seem to be as useful as being able to use it while wearing it.

I normally keep it on but if I fight with it I’ll just unbuckle the bottom straps and leave it around my neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks for the ideas. Unbuckling one or both sides and leaving it on seems more maneuverable and very quick to deploy. I'll give it a shot next time.

And.... Shot my scythe (first suppressor) for the first time today on my 6.5cm. wow! What an amazing difference both in recoil and noise. I've never used any muzzle devices

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the ideas. Unbuckling one or both sides and leaving it on seems more maneuverable and very quick to deploy. I'll give it a shot next time.

And.... Shot my scythe (first suppressor) for the first time today on my 6.5cm. wow! What an amazing difference both in recoil and noise. I've never used any muzzle devices

When my scyth showed up I was hoping I wouldn’t be underwhelmed…. After a few shots I don’t want to shoot anything with out a can now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What I'm having trouble understanding is how @Formidilosus was recommending to use the bino harness. I don't know if he's using it while wearing it, or taking it off and putting it under that hand like a rear bag. Taking it off and putting under that hand doesn't seem to be as useful as being able to use it while wearing it.

Post #2,182. See if the video shows a bit of what you are asking.

Last edited:
Ran this drill for the first time yesterday and it was humbling for sure. I have plenty of room for improvement with an initial score of 11/20.

Standing - 2/5, I honestly felt like I just got lucky on the 2 that broke in the correct spot as my wobble zone had to be 18" and very unsteady. I am typically trying to find a tree branch or fence post to shoot off standing though and can't remember the last shot I took standing unsupported on a big game animal. It was an eye-opening experience in the drill and not a shot I'd want to take on a game animal further than 30 yds.

Sitting Unsupported - 1/5, This felt like the position where I had no chance of hitting in the circle, and my wobble zone was almost as bad as standing. I was bracing my left elbow on my left knee with my other leg folded in. I'd like to know if there is a position that anyone really likes, as I could really improve in this position.

Sitting Supported - 3/5, I went 2/2 on the first round with no time limit and used my backpack as a rear rest, so it was a pretty poor performance the other rounds without a rear rest being only 1/3.

Prone - 5/5, I was actually very steady shooting off the pack with my bino harness as a rear bag to support my hand and resting the rifle butt in the web between pointer finger and thumb. This is the position I practice and have shot in the most, so not super surprising.

Ran this drill for the first time yesterday and it was humbling for sure. I have plenty of room for improvement with an initial score of 11/20.

Standing - 2/5, I honestly felt like I just got lucky on the 2 that broke in the correct spot as my wobble zone had to be 18" and very unsteady. I am typically trying to find a tree branch or fence post to shoot off standing though and can't remember the last shot I took standing unsupported on a big game animal. It was an eye-opening experience in the drill and not a shot I'd want to take on a game animal further than 30 yds.

Sitting Unsupported - 1/5, This felt like the position where I had no chance of hitting in the circle, and my wobble zone was almost as bad as standing. I was bracing my left elbow on my left knee with my other leg folded in. I'd like to know if there is a position that anyone really likes, as I could really improve in this position.

Sitting Supported - 3/5, I went 2/2 on the first round with no time limit and used my backpack as a rear rest, so it was a pretty poor performance the other rounds without a rear rest being only 1/3.

Prone - 5/5, I was actually very steady shooting off the pack with my bino harness as a rear bag to support my hand and resting the rifle butt in the web between pointer finger and thumb. This is the position I practice and have shot in the most, so not super surprising.

Very similar to how it usually goes for me. When on the 20 second clock for 2 shots per position the 2nd prone shot can be compromised. Standing and sitting unsupported are pretty pitiful. Dont like doing the drill when others are at the range because I become "that guy" at risk of shooting the target stands @ 100 yards when offhand.

When do this position I sit with legs crossed, pretty flat. I brace both elbows in my knees. It takes a bit of flexibility to do this, and it’s pretty important to be able to quickly adjust natural point of aim.

When do this position I sit with legs crossed, pretty flat. I brace both elbows in my knees. It takes a bit of flexibility to do this, and it’s pretty important to be able to quickly adjust natural point of aim.
I'll give this a shot next time. Luckily, I have good flexibility, although I'm having to work harder to keep it in my 30's now. :ROFLMAO:

TaperPin

WKR
I feel for you guys that shoot squared up to the target - seated and standing must feel very unnatural - or is angling your shoulders ok for those positions? I’m not casting shade, just an observation. I assumed shooting squared to the target would eventually fade, but it hasn’t and probably won’t going forward, so I’m just curious. When did it start to become popular 2010ish?

I feel for you guys that shoot squared up to the target - seated and standing must feel very unnatural - or is angling your shoulders ok for those positions? I’m not casting shade, just an observation. I assumed shooting squared to the target would eventually fade, but it hasn’t and probably won’t going forward, so I’m just curious. When did it start to become popular 2010ish?

Unsupported i doubt many are shooting truly squared to the target. Even tripod/barricade shooting depending on what the support hand is doing, a lot of shooting isn't perfectly square to the target.

I'm trying to remember my positioning, but I doubt my shoulders were truly square to the target as @wind gypsy mentioned above. I move might feet into a slightly wider stance (similar to pistol shooting), so my shoulders were probably fairly square to the target. The wider stance helped me steady a little better, but it definitely wasn't great.

I tried both positions laid out a few pages back by @Formidilosus and @mxgsfmdpx. I had a larger wobble zone and felt less steady when tucking my elbow against my chest like mxgs showed, so I ended up using the method that Form showed.

I guess I should also say that I'm shooting a 9.5# gun when fully loaded with the suppressor, so it is a little heavy for off-hand shots, but it's not terribly front heavy with a 20" barrel and the scythe on the end.

TaperPin

WKR
Unsupported i doubt many are shooting truly squared to the target. Even tripod/barricade shooting depending on what the support hand is doing, a lot of shooting isn't perfectly square to the target.
That makes sense. I’ll have to watch closer when someone at the range is shooting. After the hunting season I’ll have to set a scope with eye relief to shoot squared up while prone and play with it more sitting/standing. It feels quite a bit like writing left handed, or driving on the left side of the street right now. Lol
I'm trying to remember my positioning, but I doubt my shoulders were truly square to the target as @wind gypsy mentioned above. I move might feet into a slightly wider stance (similar to pistol shooting), so my shoulders were probably fairly square to the target. The wider stance helped me steady a little better, but it definitely wasn't great.

I tried both positions laid out a few pages back by @Formidilosus and @mxgsfmdpx. I had a larger wobble zone and felt less steady when tucking my elbow against my chest like mxgs showed, so I ended up using the method that Form showed.

I guess I should also say that I'm shooting a 9.5# gun when fully loaded with the suppressor, so it is a little heavy for off-hand shots, but it's not terribly front heavy with a 20" barrel and the scythe on the end.
I seem to have alligator arms so it works best to just hold the forend like a shotgun. With an elbow against the chest I have to support the rifle on finger tips to get enough elevation - this actually scores better than a shotgun hold, but isn’t very practical while hunting, especially if there’s any recoil involved.