Enough gun?

Weldor

WKR
This. 223 was a poodle shooter; 30-06 was the bare minimum for hunting in Alaska; the 270 shot light bullets and was too small for an ethical hunter to use on anything but deer; a 375 H&H was a good place to start on big bears and 338 win mag was for wimps, but I really liked a coworkers 458 Lott; Etc.

Those are all opinions I held not too long ago. Then I sat down and decided to prove I was right, now I carry a 223 bolt gun in country with bears; came across some brown bear tracks last weekend that my entire foot fit into without touching the edges, of course I have pathetic little size 9-10 feet, so that is not necessarily a "big bear."

If I was not able to pick my bullets, I would certainly opt for a larger caliber. But, being able to pick my bullet, I will go for a smaller caliber.

To the OP, @Billy Goat covered it well with the vehicle comparison (and less wordy than what I first typed). Energy does not kill, energy transfer kills. Energy transfer is driven by the projectile, this is why an arrow can kill, or a baseball bat. Energy transfer to vital organs will kill more efficiently than energy transfer to the entire organism (why 120,000ish ft-lbs of a vehicle going 35 mph is not instantly lethal in all cases, of course that energy transfer is quite a bit more complicated than just the KE number as well).

Edit: Last point, it is KE, not energy. Energy covers a significantly broader range to include momentum, temperature, gravity, magnetism, Etc. Energy transfer applies to all of these.
Agree, my dad's favorite brown bear cartridge was the 375 H&H back in the 70's.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m sitting in my 5500 class pickup right now giggling at boomers and their thin framed baby 1 tons in here talking crap. What a bunch of sillyness and horrible analogy.

Taperpin is so excited for these threads lately, it’s almost as bad as JGRaider and Leupold threads. I think TP might have officially taken over as lead “baby 1 ton boomer”.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
If you're not driving a 18 speed tandem rig, you have no room to speak on size. You're 1 ton pickup is a glorified ford ranger.
I loose, most I've ever done is 16 speed tandem on a tractor.

A fire department I was on had this old logging truck that was converted into a tanker, it could have used a tandem rig. I was one of the few guys who could drive a manual and got stuck driving it when needed. The flywheel did not always get things aligned and shifting was a game of trying to get it to slip into gear. It was so underpowered that unless you were going down hill, if the shift took longer than 1 or 2 seconds you had to go back into the lower gear and build speed again. More gears than 4 would have been amazing. Though, the breaks were undersized for the load too, and it was probably good that getting to 45 mph was about impossible.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
So to get this right for the record, are these correct?

16klb prius =.223 & 77 tmk
1 ton = 270 win
5500 = 300 mag
18 speed = 33 xc
16klb prius =.223 & 77 tmk
1 ton = 6.5 CM, 270, 300s (usually used for what the Prius does well, but some edge cases used to justify them)
5500 = 375 H&H up to a 50 BMG, lets face it, if a bull elephant is trying to stomp me at 20 yards away, well Form has some work to do before I take green goblins for that job (need some photos an how the elephants skull is paper thin)
18 speed = light artillery, because anyone not hunting sheep with a Anzio Ironworks 20 mm is just a poser and 40,000 ft-lbs is the minimum for ethically hunting anything bigger than a yote

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I’m sitting in my WIFE'S 5500 class pickup right now IN THE PASSENGER SEAT WHILE SHE IS AT THE WHEEL giggling at boomers and their thin framed baby 1 tons in here talking crap. What a bunch of sillyness and horrible analogy.

Taperpin is so excited for these threads lately, it’s almost as bad as JGRaider and Leupold threads. I think TP might have officially taken over as lead “baby 1 ton boomer”.

FIFY

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
OP speaking...

To those who disagreed with me respectfully - with construtive criticisms - we can just agree to disagree. Thank you for your comments. I respect your opinions and learned a few things.

To those who chose to vent and rudely criticize my respectful post - consider being thankful that you have a forum where you can share your thoughts without getting ugly.

Over & Out.

OP speaking...

To those who disagreed with me respectfully - with construtive criticisms - we can just agree to disagree. Thank you for your comments. I respect your opinions and learned a few things.

To those who chose to vent and rudely criticize my respectful post - consider being thankful that you have a forum where you can share your thoughts without getting ugly.

Over & Out.

Now you know why I didn't post anything more than I did...