Emergency Chain saw for the pickup

arudelic

FNG
Agreed on going with a battery saw. Especially if it's not something you're going to be using for a long duration.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a bunch of saws floating around from a
Couple 066s down to a few little arborist saws. Have both Husky and Stihl (Ford v Chevy IMO…sorry) even an old Mac and a couple old Johnsereds that are sitting on a shelf somewhere I think. If you’re looking at an arborist sized saw I wouldnt trade my electric for two of them. No contest. If you’re doing this as a professional, daily in big(ish) trees, nothing substitutes for displacement. I’m just too much a wuss these days to deal with that much weight. Cut all my firewood last year with the little Milwaukee and my back thanked me for it.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Yall with the battery saws, how well are they working in very cold negative or single digit weather? I had a cheap battery saw that wouldn't even spin the chain a while back. When we got home I was going to throw it away but it worked fine. I'm hoping it was just that brand, been eyeballing the DeWalt saws for a while now because I already have plenty of batteries.
They don’t like cold. I used mine down to single digits last year and it maybe cut 20% of the run time off it, just guessing. I’d say if you’re in a heated cab you’ll be fine. If you can take a spare battery and charger to keep plugged in, even better. If I was on a sled I’d have a gas saw with me.

The only people I know personally who don’t have an electric chainsaw in their truck for emergencies are the ones who’ve never tried one.
I’m not trying to build a business, I’m cutting one or two trees out of my way.
Even doing that, I rarely need to charge batteries

Yall with the battery saws, how well are they working in very cold negative or single digit weather? I had a cheap battery saw that wouldn't even spin the chain a while back. When we got home I was going to throw it away but it worked fine. I'm hoping it was just that brand, been eyeballing the DeWalt saws for a while now because I already have plenty of batteries.

I bought into the Milwaukee M18 ecosystem, and absolutely love it. They're actually designed to work well in sub-freezing temps, down to about -31F. I haven't gotten them that cold, but when you start getting below -20F you'll typically start seeing gelling and freezing problems with most lubricants anyhow. I suspect a hand warmer near the battery under a blanket for a few minutes at -30F would be more than enough to have it working properly.

Hat745

FNG
Might want to look at the electric ones, no gas smell/spill can keep the saw in the cab of the truck .

Bluefish

WKR
Check out farmertec for cheaper clone saws. Built a 660 last year for about 1k less than a stihl. Not a saw to carry around, but handy when needed. My bike saws are a 192 and a 201. Too valuable to leave in a truck.

Electric is probably a good use case. Won’t be doing many cuts so cut/run time won’t be an issue. No need to store fuel to go bad. Not like cleaning up major storm damage where you will be going through tank after tank of fuel.

If going with a gas saw, leave it ungassed and carry some canned fuel which stays fresh for a long time.

Dogone

FNG
I have a 50$ Chinese import.works well and don’t worry about loosing . But electric is probably the way to go especially if you already have batteries.

manitou1

WKR
No doubt the electric stuff works. I'll stick with my gas stuff though. Never found mixing gas to be an issue. Stay away from the husky's and you wont have bar oil leaking everywhere

What are they calling a cut?
Good question. Maybe a #2 pencil, lol.

After using the 6ah battery that cut probably thirty logs in the 4"-10"range I think my 12ah will do just fine for camping fire wood.
It beats hauling wood up the mountain when we camp or hunt... and I hate hauling stinky gas with hunt and camp gear.

I have an Echo 590 that is a cutting beast but I prefer the lighter, non-gas saw just for clearing two tracks or cutting fire wood while on the mountain. One less thing to spill or haul.

I saw a video last year that stated if you open the bar oil plug and then re-tighten it after a cutting session for saw storage or transport that it relieves the positive pressure and eliminates or reduces bar oil leakage. It did work on my gas saw.
My Milwaukee hasn't leaked using this process either, but I do not know if it ever would have as I have been doing it with the M18 since I got it.

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
I have a Stihl 251 that generally sits unused. I have all Dewalt 20v tools and their little battery saw is awesome. I take that on hunting trips for cutting firewood. Throw 2-3 batteries under the back seat and go. It does a great job with average cutting and I have no reservations about cutting a moderate tree that might fall across the road. I'd go electric for a random use truck saw and not think twice about it.

johnw3474

FNG
I have a top handle echo Cs-355. That thing is great for clearing tops or small blow down off a road or trail real quick. You can grab limbs with one hand and be cutting with the other. Its also pretty small, so stores well.

IW17

Lil-Rokslider
No doubt the electric stuff works. I'll stick with my gas stuff though. Never found mixing gas to be an issue. Stay away from the husky's and you wont have bar oil leaking everywhere

What are they calling a cut?
This is an underrated statement.

IW17

Lil-Rokslider
For what you're describing, electric sounds ideal. If you must go gas, Echo cs-2511t. Commercial grade, weighs 5lbs, 5 year consumer warranty. It's small enough that I'll put it in a small day pack and hike around with it when we clear trails and shooting lanes. This is mine in the back rack of my quad. Tiny little thing but eats through way more than would be expected for a saw it's size. IMG_20200821_154901.jpg