Emergency Chain saw for the pickup

I will say that on the saws that dont see a lot of use. I like to use the cans of pre-mixed gas. Yea its spendy but not a big deal if you aren't burning much. Seems to last longer for whatever reason

I have a Stihl 371 and if its not fresh gas, don't even try.

I have a 362 thats a prissy lil bitch. Likes fresh gas, doesn't like to start when hot, not all that impressive in the power....I like that stupid echo a lil more each time I run the 362:ROFLMAO:

Matt5266

WKR

Seeknelk

WKR
I will say that on the saws that dont see a lot of use. I like to use the cans of pre-mixed gas. Yea its spendy but not a big deal if you aren't burning much. Seems to last longer for whatever reason

I have a 362 thats a prissy lil bitch. Likes fresh gas, doesn't like to start when hot, not all that impressive in the power....I like that stupid echo a lil more each time I run the 362:ROFLMAO:
Yes, I forgot to mention. If relying on a saw for emergency use sometime in the unknown future, make sure you have a fresh unopened can of the premix. Seems like it stays potent way longer even if it's been opened.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
My go to chainsaw for home/work/truck is a Stihl Ms170. 8.6lbs with a 16” bar. Cuts really well for its size. It’ll going to struggle on a monster oak but I don’t have those in my woods.

It sits most of the year and I’ve always run non-oxy 91 and Amsoil Saber at 50:1, which is the same for my weeds ships and other 2-strokers.

Stihls just run.

The only gas saws I have left are stihl. Others crapped out on me when needed. Very happy with my farm boss but probably too much saw for your needs.

My electric gets a lot more use than I thought. I went Dewalt because I already had batteries. It is not my go to for a just in case truck saw. No gas. No leaks. It has its limits but with it and a Fiskars axe, I have cut and cleared more than you would think possible.

How big of stuff are yall cutting with cordless? Say a 30"ish tree across the road. They have enough snort to buck up enough to get through? How many batteries you goona need?

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I've been running Husqvarna 435s for about 10 years now.

All my crews have one in the truck because we work on resort style barrier islands where tropical storms and hurricanes come thru often.

I've gone thru about 6 of them at the farm. They run like crazy and do big work when needed.

I always buy them refurbished online. They will come in a generic brown box and all have been good to go.

I like the work they get done and I like being invested minimally to be able to toss them when they start acting up.

Great value.

TaperPin

WKR
I have a pair of matching Stihl saws. Larger saws. One left at cabin. One at my primary. I chunked a big saw in my dinky Tacoma to go backcountry scouting this weekend. Overall just a monsterous orange case in and out of a truck canopy that is already pretty dinky.

I am progressing my dirt bike single track riding. I see many central Idaho dirt bike guys with saw cradles on the front fork ( a direction I am heading).

Can anyone recommend a smaller saw that fills this niche? I've already attempted to compare some online specs of Husky and Stihl, but many models show Not Available. I don't need a Pro saw.

Just a smaller Oh Shit saw to clear a blowdown if it occurs after I am already backwoods.

The carry case is nearly as important. Something to readily catch all the bar oil and schmutz. And something I will not be terribly heartbroken when some DeGen rocks my window and takes it from the back seat when I am away from the rig.

Always been a Stihl guy simply for the fact the bar can be left stuck in a tree if you pinch it and the power head comes home. Think all Husky saws the bar in on the inside???

Explain 3/8" vs .325 if you can. The .325 is the Big Boy chain, yea?
Our fire crew had a small 028 Stihl that comes with the smaller .325” chain. We changed it to 3/8” to match our other saws and the extra width slowed it down a noticeable amount.

That 028 isnt made anymore and probably a lot more saw than you need. The 026/260 was the higher performance “professional” small limbing saw with similar hp and lighter weight. Used these go for more than I can handle.

I’ve heard the new small saws are actually tuned quite well and don’t benefit from porting as much as old models.

Wrench

WKR
I keep my fuel and oil in MSR fuel bottles. I have one bottle that I just used last month with fuel that is at least 5 years old. Keep non ethanol fuel in a sealed metal container and it is good for almost ever.

Our fire crew had a small 028 Stihl that comes with the smaller .325” chain. We changed it to 3/8” to match our other saws and the extra width slowed it down a noticeable amount.

I do like a skinny chain on the lil saws

I’ve heard the new small saws are actually tuned quite well and don’t benefit from porting as much as old models.

You are fooling yourself if you think anything is tuned for anything but emissions

How big of stuff are yall cutting with cordless? Say a 30"ish tree across the road. They have enough snort to buck up enough to get through? How many batteries you goona need?

16" bar

1724698732983.png

1724698884758.png

1724698786914.png

Run time depends on battery size of course. I can probably test my 20v dewalt next weekend. I carry two 10Ah batteries and can charge in the cab while driving if necessary.

TaperPin

WKR
I do like a skinny chain on the lil saws

You are fooling yourself if you think anything is tuned for anything but emissions
I don’t have any idea first hand - that’s just what a saw tuner had mentioned during a dyno test of the porting on some old and new small saws.

I’m with you on carbs - I’ll never trust a saw that doesn’t have both high and low speed idle screws!

Yall with the battery saws, how well are they working in very cold negative or single digit weather? I had a cheap battery saw that wouldn't even spin the chain a while back. When we got home I was going to throw it away but it worked fine. I'm hoping it was just that brand, been eyeballing the DeWalt saws for a while now because I already have plenty of batteries.

I found with electric a lot depends on the tree...dont have much issue with dead trees of any kind, green live oak or white oak I don't even try to cut with electric, let the magic smoke out of my 1st one trying...

Yall with the battery saws, how well are they working in very cold negative or single digit weather? I had a cheap battery saw that wouldn't even spin the chain a while back. When we got home I was going to throw it away but it worked fine. I'm hoping it was just that brand, been eyeballing the DeWalt saws for a while now because I already have plenty of batteries.
Ran my dewalt in the teens cutting firewood for the wall tent on more than one occasion no issues...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am a Husqvarna guy but in my Jeep and/or pickup I have the Milwaukee 18 Volt Chainsaw and Hackzall saw with the long pruning style blades. I use the Hackzall way more as it's better on battery and works great for downed trees, etc.

*zap*

WKR
you can store an 'emergency' saw with the bar off of it. My vote would be a commercial top handle.