Elk rifle preference

OP
bigbuckkilla
Well guys I pulled the trigger on a rifle. I hope I do not disappoint you guys but I plan on spending several hours at the range. Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag. It’s an awesome looking gun with a very smooth action. Any suggestions on scopes? My rifles have a 3x9-44 hawke and vortex.

No disappointment here, my M70 300 Win Mag has been a great rifle. I like lighter weight, Leupold 3-9 VX3HD is a good option from my experience with it.

Edited: Mistakenly read it was a 300 Wby mag.

Last edited:
OP
bigbuckkilla
No disappointment here, my 300 Win Mag has been a great rifle, and the 300 Wby is right there with it in all-around capability and ups the ante in velocity. I like lighter weight, Leupold 3-9 VX3HD is a good option from my experience with it.
Yeah I like that scope a lot. I’m military so I get discounted prices on several vortex so I may do that Idunno yet though

OP
bigbuckkilla
Has anyone used the tally lightweight scope mounts? Curious if a 50 would fit on the low height option.

Well guys I pulled the trigger on a rifle. I hope I do not disappoint you guys but I plan on spending several hours at the range. Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag. It’s an awesome looking gun with a very smooth action. Any suggestions on scopes? My rifles have a 3x9-44 hawke and vortex.
Great choice. You will never regret that. That gun has great potential so make sure you top it off with a scope that is worthy and capable of utilizing the capabilities of the gun. Lots of guys use 3-9 power scopes. But there’s nothing wrong with 4x being your minimum and a 4-12 will come in handy I GUARANTEE IT. Leupold makes a 4.5-15 that I personally think suits your gun.

You get what you pay for and not just in a product but in the warranty. Leupold scopes come with lifetime unconditional warranties AND you don’t even have to be the original owner. You can find one on the side of the road and if there’s a problem send it to them and they’ll repair it. If it’s beyond hope they’ll replace it no questions asked.

I’m sure I’ll ruffle a few feathers but I think Vortex scopes suck. If anyone has one and hasn’t looked through other quality scopes they don’t know what they’re missing. I borrowed one last year and couldn’t tear that POS off of my gun fast enough. Forgiving eye relief is a big deal. When I shoulder my gun I get a full field of view every time. Instantly. With that Vortex I had to lean in and out until my eye was the perfect distance from the lense if I wanted that. No thanks. There are other good scopes out there but I can speak from a shitload of experience and tell you that a Leupold is a rock solid investment.

As far as Talley mounts it’s all I use. Leupold bases and rings suck. I want a one piece unit. No lapping needed. Bigbuckkilla I’m not sure what height you need. But I can tell you that Talley answers their phone on the first ring and if you tell them what gun and scope you have they’ll give you the product number in no time. I never order online. I call them and make sure I have it right because they offer lots of options and I don’t want to pay return shipping. 4859A01E-D9D2-4E43-9427-B9621DF37AE8.jpeg

Great point Indian Summer. Eye relief is a number that means little if it needs precise position and maneuvering to use in the field. Shooting from a bench is different and what seems like good eye relief, doesn't hold up in the field.

Leupold's are made useable with a large window that is easy to get down on for a shot and find full field of view from different positions in the field. Shooting prone over a pack or downed tree, off shooting sticks, leaned against a tree or off-hand, I don't have to think about it. YMMV.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider

Congratulations on your purchase. The 300 wm is definitely a good choice. Look at Talley one piece rings, Bud’s Gun shop has the best price. There are a lot of good scopes… Huskemaw blue diamond is a great scope and is my first choice for my hunting rifle. Leupold and Zeiss are great scopes as well, I’ve never had an issue with them either. If cost is an issue, I ran Burris for years and they definitely withstand the recoil.

Good luck with ammo, it’s slim pickings everywhere. I haven’t seen any 300 wm available on a shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulIV

FNG
Congrats on your purchase, it’ll get it done for sure. I like the nightforce nxs compact on my lighter weight rifles.

OP
bigbuckkilla
Great choice. You will never regret that. That gun has great potential so make sure you top it off with a scope that is worthy and capable of utilizing the capabilities of the gun. Lots of guys use 3-9 power scopes. But there’s nothing wrong with 4x being your minimum and a 4-12 will come in handy I GUARANTEE IT. Leupold makes a 4.5-15 that I personally think suits your gun.

You get what you pay for and not just in a product but in the warranty. Leupold scopes come with lifetime unconditional warranties AND you don’t even have to be the original owner. You can find one on the side of the road and if there’s a problem send it to them and they’ll repair it. If it’s beyond hope they’ll replace it no questions asked.

I’m sure I’ll ruffle a few feathers but I think Vortex scopes suck. If anyone has one and hasn’t looked through other quality scopes they don’t know what they’re missing. I borrowed one last year and couldn’t tear that POS off of my gun fast enough. Forgiving eye relief is a big deal. When I shoulder my gun I get a full field of view every time. Instantly. With that Vortex I had to lean in and out until my eye was the perfect distance from the lense if I wanted that. No thanks. There are other good scopes out there but I can speak from a shitload of experience and tell you that a Leupold is a rock solid investment.

As far as Talley mounts it’s all I use. Leupold bases and rings suck. I want a one piece unit. No lapping needed. Bigbuckkilla I’m not sure what height you need. But I can tell you that Talley answers their phone on the first ring and if you tell them what gun and scope you have they’ll give you the product number in no time. I never order online. I call them and make sure I have it right because they offer lots of options and I don’t want to pay return shipping. View attachment 390648
I actually just ordered a leupold vx-freedom 4-12x50 with back country scope mount and high rings! I’d like to use medium but everywhere I google it says medium height does not fit 50mm, I suppose I will call Talley Monday and see what they say. If I have to return the backcountry scope mounts through leupold it’ll be ok!

OP
bigbuckkilla
Congratulations on your purchase. The 300 wm is definitely a good choice. Look at Talley one piece rings, Bud’s Gun shop has the best price. There are a lot of good scopes… Huskemaw blue diamond is a great scope and is my first choice for my hunting rifle. Leupold and Zeiss are great scopes as well, I’ve never had an issue with them either. If cost is an issue, I ran Burris for years and they definitely withstand the recoil.

Good luck with ammo, it’s slim pickings everywhere. I haven’t seen any 300 wm available on a shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate it. I actually bought 3 boxes of ammo at the gun store they had federal 150gr 300wm, so I picked it up just to practice with the gun and I’ll order some probably 165-180gr noslers. Or if you have a recommendation I’d try that as well

OP
bigbuckkilla
Haha also my barrel is threaded, do you guys suggest from experience for what to put on that bad boy? A silencer would be bad ass but I was looking at some muzzle brakes. Accumark from weatherby and APA The answer. What do y’all use if any?

I use a brake. It’s incredible how well they do their job. I’m so old I don’t know anything about suppressors but if they achieve the same amount of recoil reduction AND quiet the gun down then great. Unless they make cleaning the gun anymore difficult.

OP
bigbuckkilla
I use a brake. It’s incredible how well they do their job. I’m so old I don’t know anything about suppressors but if they achieve the same amount of recoil reduction AND quiet the gun down then great. Unless they make cleaning the gun anymore difficult.
What brake do you use? My thread is 1/2-28 and I’m looking to put it on myself unless smithing is involved.

I appreciate it. I actually bought 3 boxes of ammo at the gun store they had federal 150gr 300wm, so I picked it up just to practice with the gun and I’ll order some probably 165-180gr noslers. Or if you have a recommendation I’d try that as well

Are you planning to reload the brass from the Federal loads or buying the next batch of ammo as well?

elkguide

WKR
.30 is my go to caliber and even though I have 5 different .30 caliber rifles, 9 out of 10 times when I head to the woods, it's one of my .300 Win Mags that I take with me. Whitetails, bear, mule deer, elk and even coyotes have fallen to one of my Win Mags. Most of my rifles are wearing Swarovski glass but have some with Burris, Bushnell, Leica, S&B and Maven. I use Talley rings on many of my rifles and I have had no problems with them.
I think you'll be very happy with your Weatherby.

My 300 Win Mag has special place in my hunting memories. First elk in 1998 (bull), largest muley (1999) along with a few more, and a few whitetails back in the Midwest. 2002 I got the itch for a 35 Whelen AI, had it built on a pawnshop M98 action and have not carried the 300 Win much since.

The 300 Win Mag is a superb round based on my success. Previously, I loaded with a 180 or 200 gr bullet. For me (back in the day) that was the main reason for a magnum, to push heavier bullets at good speed. However, if I ramped back up the use of my 300 Win Mag, lighter monos or bonded bullets would get a good look.