Elk rifle preference

You reference lugging stuff around and having to shoot it well, again this means the shooter making a bad shot not the rifle making a bad shot. It is impossible for a larger round that causes more damage to be less lethal than a smaller round in the same spot.

Same exact shot with the same impact point with a larger projectile will do more damage. If anything else happens its another variable not the rifle.
True. But most of us live in the real world and not in a vacuum.

A lot of people overestimate their recoil tolerance. This leads them to fearing their rifle which lead to flinching and jerking. This can lead to bad shots and clean misses. Both the hunter and the game would have been better served shooting a milder cartridge. But folks’ egos get in the way.

When it’s all said and done folks should shoot the hardest hitting cartridge that they can consistently shoot accurately. Doesn’t matter if it’s the maligned 6.5 CM or the manly 340 Weatherby.

I don’t “lug” anything I don’t normally carry. My trekking poles get my 56 year old fat ass where it needs to go faster. It has Quick Sticks to put them together so they double as shooting sticks. My Bog Pod is also a multi task tool. It holds both my binos and spotting scope for glassing and my gun has the accessory to drop it right in place to serve as my main gun rest.

Besides…. Is there anyone here that wouldn’t carry another pound if they knew it could up their offs of shooting bigger bulls in less time? Or in some cases any bull at all instead of eating tag soup. I get the placement thing. Who doesn’t understand that. But who doesn’t also understand the benefits of more energy at longer distances which by the way does mean better bullet placement further out.

To each his own. But I came up through the ranks like everyone else. I learned a few things the hard way. The important part is that I learned. More and more every season. Enough that by having the optimal tool for the hunting methods I decided give me the best chance of locating and killing elk…. failure is NOT an option. Elk country is big. Huge! My setup makes it look significantly smaller and that’s a very good thing.

There will always be 70-80 hunters out of every 100 that go home empty handed. If those guys don’t make changes and improvements in tactics and tools of the trade they’ll be in that group forever unless lady luck throws them a bone. But you gotta be able to reach out and grab that bone sometimes.

You would not pull the trigger on this bull with a light gun. And if you did and were lucky enough to poke a hole in it which is doubtful, you wouldn’t find it because I know what’s on the other side of that ridge. Thick, nasty, and all seriously steep downhill. I want my elk to flop over dead right now without a follow up shot. None of that “Shoot him again shoot him again!” stuff. So far so good. 40C6169C-28C8-4C93-97BC-BF2263459E7E.jpeg

Last edited:
When it’s all said and done folks should shoot the hardest hitting cartridge that they can consistently shoot accurately. Doesn’t matter if it’s the maligned 6.5 CM or the manly 340 Weatherby.
^THIS!^

Shoot what you can. Not more. But definitely not less for God’s sake! I know you 6.5CM guys can shoot a more adequate elk cartridge. If not go get a brake or suppressor. For your own success rate but also out of respect for the animals that you attempt to kill.

Currymac

FNG
You know what, let’s add location to this discussion. I’m in western Washington where the timber is so think you’re lucky to see an elk passed 100 yards and even then shot opportunities are slim and quick. Best case is you spot an animal at the edge of a clear cut. Last elk my buddy shot was 120 yards and that was rare.this is important in peoples decisions. I wouldn’t take my 6.5 PRC to a wide open mountainous country and try a 500 yard shot on a big bull. I’d take a cartridge better suited for that style. Or my bow for archery season. But here where I get the chance to hunt a 6.5 is plenty rifle. Even eastern Washington for mule deer to farther ranges.

You know what, let’s add location to this discussion. I’m in western Washington where the timber is so think you’re lucky to see an elk passed 100 yards and even then shot opportunities are slim and quick. Best case is you spot an animal at the edge of a clear cut. Last elk my buddy shot was 120 yards and that was rare.this is important in peoples decisions. I wouldn’t take my 6.5 PRC to a wide open mountainous country and try a 500 yard shot on a big bull. I’d take a cartridge better suited for that style. Or my bow for archery season. But here where I get the chance to hunt a 6.5 is plenty rifle. Even eastern Washington for mule deer to farther ranges.
100% agree! I always say that nearly every question on these forums about guns gear and tactics has to be answered based on where and what kind of hunting we do. I hunted western Washington down near the Columbia River and I would have been fine with my 12 gauge shotgun. Mind you it has a custom rifled barrel and Leupold 2-7 power scope so it’s not just any old shotgun. But there it would be a sufficient tool for the job.

OP
bigbuckkilla
Good info from experienced guys really enjoy the discussion and appreciate the time! I’m pretty familiar with recoil and shooting. I’m honestly leaning towards a 7 mag. Just practice for the next several months. I think it will be a fun gun.

It’s a great choice for sure. I absolutely love shooting my 7 Rem Mag. The only reason I bought a .300 was I just bought an outfitting business in Montana and I knew my gun would be taking some serious abuse in lots of nasty weather and my 7 has a wood stock. I wanted a synthetic one and I didn’t want two of the same caliber. I figured there might come a day where I would hunt even bigger game too so I bought the Ultra Mag. I love that too and nothing walks away after being hit with a 200 grainer going that fast. My 7mm does hold tighter groups too. Plus you don’t have to get a freaking side job to buy ammo for it! Lol Good luck. Get the best scope you can afford and enjoy!

cnelk

WKR
I shoot one of those 'manly' 340 Weatherbys. ;)

That 225gr bullet going 3100fps does things to animals that smaller calibers can only hope to do.

I know because Ive used and seen about every well known elk caliber there is.

Id say, pick a caliber, get to know it and make good shots

Ron.C

WKR
such a subjective topic.

Shoot whatever make of rifle you wish. May be a cheap savage axis because you are limited on funds, may be a high end Cooper because you are not.

Try not to skimp on your optic ( I'd rather shoot with a cheaper rifle and a better optic/bases then the other way around.

Caliber of choice- so many to chose from that will do the job perfectly fine as long as you do your part. Pick one you shoot well, practice and keep your shots within distances you know you can shoot and within the limits of that caliber.

and FWIW, I shoot a 7mm-08 Rem Mtn rifle with a Leupold VX3 CDS with 140gr Barnes TTSX's . Yes I can shoot a larger caliber but this one works for me and my hunting style.

Last edited:

Ron.C

WKR
I shoot one of those 'manly' 340 Weatherbys. ;)

That 225gr bullet going 3100fps does things to animals that smaller calibers can only hope to do.

I know because Ive used and seen about every well known elk caliber there is.

Id say, pick a caliber, get to know it and make good shots

A buddy has a 340 wby on a custom Brno build. Beauty for sure and it hammers!!!

Last edited:

Ron.C

WKR
Good info from experienced guys really enjoy the discussion and appreciate the time! I’m pretty familiar with recoil and shooting. I’m honestly leaning towards a 7 mag. Just practice for the next several months. I think it will be a fun gun.

My best friend has hunts exclusively with a 7mag. He's taken elk from around 50 yards to his last at around 400 yards and dropped where it was standing. Not to mention the pile of bears, deer, moose and a goat. A great round!!!

BTCribo

FNG
Looking for a long range Competition gun that I can take elk hunting and make quick kills at <=800yds. I just moved to southwest Colorado so went I went scouting a couple months ago it looks like there could be Extremely long range shots. I'm looking at the Christensen Arms Mesa LR in .338 LM. Is that overkill for an elk, or is that a good choice if I'm going to be practicing extreme long range shooting? I want to make sure its got enough energy to expand an HPBT at those crazy ranges; while also be able to make mile long shots with match FMJBT ammo.

BTCribo

FNG
Looking for a long range Competition gun that I can take elk hunting and make quick kills at <=800yds. I just moved to southwest Colorado so went I went scouting a couple months ago it looks like there could be Extremely long range shots. I'm looking at the Christensen Arms Mesa LR in .338 LM. Is that overkill for an elk, or is that a good choice if I'm going to be practicing extreme long range shooting? I want to make sure its got enough energy to expand an HPBT at those crazy ranges; while also be able to make mile long shots with match FMJBT ammo.

Also I shoot irons only. I havent used a scope since I was 13. I grew up mainly bowhunting and that got me way better at using irons than scopes. say what you will but I've used my fathers 300WM to make 5 shot 6 inch groups at 500yds. though I lived in new jersey so there weren't ranges that are a mile+ long. I'm wondering if now might be the time to switch? thoughts?

Hey all, I’m new here and new to elk hunting. I am doing a drop camp hunt in Colorado with my family this season. I am just curious what some of your favorite rifles are for hunting. I have some ideas that I like but I want to have a good round for more than just elk. I am leaning on the tikka t3x, in maybe 30-06. If y’all have time drop some rifle/calibers you guys enjoy mountain hunting! Appreciate the forums and all y’all’s information and knowledge.
What is your budget for rifle and optics?

RussDXT

WKR
Also I shoot irons only. I havent used a scope since I was 13. I grew up mainly bowhunting and that got me way better at using irons than scopes. say what you will but I've used my fathers 300WM to make 5 shot 6 inch groups at 500yds. though I lived in new jersey so there weren't ranges that are a mile+ long. I'm wondering if now might be the time to switch? thoughts?

If your able to hold a group like that with irons I wouldn’t mess with it.

utahkid39

FNG
Bought myself a tikka 6.5 PRC haven't got to shoot an elk with it yet but wouldn't hesitate at reasonable ranges with a good shot opportunity. Its a lot lighter and more enjoyable to carry than my 300 RUM but that thing has killed a few elk. Depends on where you plan on hunting elk I guess is what would be the deciding factor for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t “lug” anything I don’t normally carry. My trekking poles get my 56 year old fat ass where it needs to go faster. It has Quick Sticks to put them together so they double as shooting sticks. My Bog Pod is also a multi task tool. It holds both my binos and spotting scope for glassing and my gun has the accessory to drop it right in place to serve as my main gun rest.

Besides…. Is there anyone here that wouldn’t carry another pound if they knew it could up their offs of shooting bigger bulls in less time? Or in some cases any bull at all instead of eating tag soup. I get the placement thing. Who doesn’t understand that. But who doesn’t also understand the benefits of more energy at longer distances which by the way does mean better bullet placement further out.

To each his own. But I came up through the ranks like everyone else. I learned a few things the hard way. The important part is that I learned. More and more every season. Enough that by having the optimal tool for the hunting methods I decided give me the best chance of locating and killing elk…. failure is NOT an option. Elk country is big. Huge! My setup makes it look significantly smaller and that’s a very good thing.

There will always be 70-80 hunters out of every 100 that go home empty handed. If those guys don’t make changes and improvements in tactics and tools of the trade they’ll be in that group forever unless lady luck throws them a bone. But you gotta be able to reach out and grab that bone sometimes.

You would not pull the trigger on this bull with a light gun. And if you did and were lucky enough to poke a hole in it which is doubtful, you wouldn’t find it because I know what’s on the other side of that ridge. Thick, nasty, and all seriously steep downhill. I want my elk to flop over dead right now without a follow up shot. None of that “Shoot him again shoot him again!” stuff. So far so good. View attachment 388775
Well.... did you kill him?

Well.... did you kill him?
Actually he wasn’t what I was looking for. If you look close he’s just a small 5 point. I watched him and a few others for 3 days before pulling the trigger on a different bull. But I know his turf and in a year or two he could be in trouble.

I have been hunting for 55 years and one of my hobbies was collecting and shooting rifles of many types and cartridges…Winchester Model 70s, Sako 85s and Browning Bars are the only rifles that remain… They are all 30-06 or 308 caliber…. If I had to grab just one rifle it would be a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06…. Any elk within 450 to 500 yards can be cleanly killed with good shot placement. I would not shoot past that distance with it, though….