Elk rifle preference

cnelk

WKR
I have been hunting for 55 years and one of my hobbies was collecting and shooting rifles of many types and cartridges…Winchester Model 70s, Sako 85s and Browning Bars are the only rifles that remain… They are all 30-06 or 308 caliber…. If I had to grab just one rifle it would be a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06…. Any elk within 450 to 500 yards can be cleanly killed with good shot placement. I would not shoot past that distance with it, though….

Yes sir!
I have twin Winchester Model 70s in 30-06 and 270 (pre-64)
Great rifles

Yeah 308 is definitely heavily available. The problem with the tikka 30/06 is finding one available haha. Bow hunter I love those accubonds run them with my 270. I just want a bigger bullet. The actions on the tikka are insanely smooth. Y’all are awesome appreciate the time!
I think a 308 would be a solid choice, works well on deer and elk, most available ammo there is right now, and with a tikka you have a great tool

donmateo

FNG
I hunt with a Springfield .30-06. Good to know I need to step up to the 180gr partitions. In Texas hunting Whitetail all I use are the 165gr SSTs.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken bulls with the 338 WM, 300 WSM, 30-06, 308, 7-08, and 270 Win. I have seen them taken with the 300 WM, 7mm RM, 7mm Wby, 270, 243, etc., etc.

As a backpack hunter I prefer a light rifle (sub 7lbs with scope, sling and rounds in the magazine). Heck, as a day-hiking hunter I prefer a light rifle! Anymore, I use light rifles in 308 Win, 270 Win and 6.5 CM. Despite being a bit of a rifle nut, I no longer own any magnum rifles, having had everything from the 270 WSM up to the 375 H&H.

I think the biggest mistake guys make on first-time elk hunts is going to a heavier and/or harder recoiling rifle (ie, a magnum). You don't need a magnum, and it really should be a heavier rifle than necessary to mitigate recoil. A light rifle is a blessing in elk country.

My advice to the OP is stay away from a 7mm RM or 300 RM. I think the smartest thing you could do is get a lightweight 270 to match your midweight 270. It will be familiar and comfortable. I've seen more elk taken with the 270 than with any other round, and mostly with 130 gr. el-cheapo factory ammo. When anyone new to elk hunting here in Montana asks me for a rifle reccomendation I tell them to get a Tikka T3 in 270. Put a Burris 3-9 with a Ballistic Plex on top in Talley lightweight rings. Add a Butler Creek Mountain Sling, and head into the mountains.

hunting1

WKR
I have taken bulls with the 338 WM, 300 WSM, 30-06, 308, 7-08, and 270 Win. I have seen them taken with the 300 WM, 7mm RM, 7mm Wby, 270, 243, etc., etc.

As a backpack hunter I prefer a light rifle (sub 7lbs with scope, sling and rounds in the magazine). Heck, as a day-hiking hunter I prefer a light rifle! Anymore, I use light rifles in 308 Win, 270 Win and 6.5 CM. Despite being a bit of a rifle nut, I no longer own any magnum rifles, having had everything from the 270 WSM up to the 375 H&H.

I think the biggest mistake guys make on first-time elk hunts is going to a heavier and/or harder recoiling rifle (ie, a magnum). You don't need a magnum, and it really should be a heavier rifle than necessary to mitigate recoil. A light rifle is a blessing in elk country.

My advice to the OP is stay away from a 7mm RM or 300 RM. I think the smartest thing you could do is get a lightweight 270 to match your midweight 270. It will be familiar and comfortable. I've seen more elk taken with the 270 than with any other round, and mostly with 130 gr. el-cheapo factory ammo. When anyone new to elk hunting here in Montana asks me for a rifle reccomendation I tell them to get a Tikka T3 in 270. Put a Burris 3-9 with a Ballistic Plex on top in Talley lightweight rings. Add a Butler Creek Mountain Sling, and head into the mountains.
Listen to Brad, what he is telling you is the truth! My kids have taken a few elk now with .308 and 125 gr NBT. I like above grab my 6-lb .308 99% of the time and can't remember the last time I have carried a magnum. Stuff keeps dying.

A quick comment on what you carry…. Are you hunting or hiking? If you’re sight seeing fine get a gun you can carry all over Hell’s half acre.. But if you’re hunting slow down. Sit. Move a little. Sit. Sit in the morning. Sit in the evening. And when you find yourself in the right place at the right time let your gun do the rest of the walking. My scope alone weighs 1 lb 9 ounces. I’ll carry whatever I believe is the best tool for the job regardless of weight. You have all year to let sore muscles recuperate. I’m thinking about a Remington Sendero for my next gun. Yep! Heavier guns sit still when the wind is blowing and your hands are shaking.

Here’s my philosophy: We plan. We spend. We pray we draw a tag. We dream. We put everything we have into it. All of that can come down to a single opportunity. The moment of truth that can and will make or break you. When that moment arrives I am damn sure making it count! The effort I put in prior to that is all a waste if I can’t make it happen. So I don’t go for those otc tags. I don’t look at what state is the shortest drive from home. I’ll drive to the end of the earth and carry a 20 pound gun if I know it’s going to seal the deal when I get there. Yes I’m a bit of an animal when it comes to my elk hunting. An extremist maybe. But my success rate is extreme too so no regrets ever. Search and…. Seek and Destroy!

One more thing…. Every choice of gear or guns depends on factors. New hunters definitely cover more ground because they are exploring and getting a feel for the mountains. Myself I don’t carry my missile launcher up a mountain every morning. It’s gaining elevation in a rifle scabbard on the side of my horse. If you’re with an outfitter you might be doing the same. Once I put my horse in park I have some work to do. If it’s still dark my gun will be lashed to the back of my pack which makes for much easier carrying and maneuverability. But even if it’s light out and my gun is shouldered it’s not a race. Anyone can carry most guns a couple hundred yards at a time before stopping for a few minutes to get some oxygen to your muscles and have a look around and hydrate a little before marching on. And when you see that elk you’ve been looking for you should have a gun that you’re comfortable with. And I’ve said before…. Nothing more but definitely nothing less. For me it’s a happy medium. Not a lightweight mountain rifle but not some old heavy barreled wooden one either. Currently my gun is a Remington model 700 Alaskan Wilderness Rifle. Lighter than a standard 700 to make up for the Hubble telescope on top. Lol I love it! Ya gotta love your gun! Me and that one have many memories together. D6ED488A-3D63-404A-9339-FF0ECE643820.jpeg

OP
bigbuckkilla

Man….I just played with the sig sauer cross 308. I think I may be in love…..I’m so torn lmao.

Ummm not really sure, pretty much what I want, thinking around 2500!
If it is whatever you want I would do a christensen arms ridgeline with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 in 280ai.

Instead of the sig cross look at the Christensen MPP. Way better gun and lighter weight. I wouldn’t buy one of those sig rifles until they role out their 4th or 5th gen and all the kinks are worked out.

Inside 350 there are a ton of great options and the elk won’t know the difference if you do your part. Any of the classic rounds in the .30-06 family would be fine choices. 6.5 CR, 7-08, 7 mag, .300 mag, .300 WSM, .35 Whelen are all great choices.

If you have a sentimental attachment to the .30-06 don’t overthink it and go for it bud. It’s a great cartridge.

I chose a .308 because of versatility, ammo availability, short action, and ability to use in AR platform.

WKR
I hunt with a Springfield .30-06. Good to know I need to step up to the 180gr partitions. In Texas hunting Whitetail all I use are the 165gr SSTs.
I don’t believe you do. I killed my best bull in 2008 with an ‘06 and 165 Barnes TSX.

These days my go to is a .270. And I shoot 130 Partitions or 130 TTSX. I see no need to go up in bullet weight.

The 180 certainly isn’t a wrong choice in ‘06, but lots of elk have been killed cleanly with 165s.

TxxAgg

WKR
30-06 pops up in stock here every week or so

Eurooptic has blued and stainless 30-06 in stock this morning.

We have only had to track elk shot by magnums, seems the pea shooting 6.5, .308, amd .270 work efficiently. No need to over compensate in our camp.
Overcompensating to one person can be shooting a gun they can handle/are comfortable with to another person. No harm either way, however it's not the "magnums" issue a properly placed shot with a properly constructed bullet didn't put the animal down. Sounds like a hunter issue, not a rifle issue, and reflects in talking down on larger chamberings as compensating.

PaulIV

FNG
I can’t get on the 6.5 hype train lol I don’t know why, it’s super popular down here in South Carolina.
Totally understand but they do work. My sons and I have killed several elk here in New Mexico and we have never used or needed a 30 caliber. The 6.5x284, 6.5 prc, 270 and 243 worked just fine from under 100 yards to over 500. I do have 300 wm and 300 prc but they never get chosen to hunt with.

Overcompensating to one person can be shooting a gun they can handle/are comfortable with to another person. No harm either way, however it's not the "magnums" issue a properly placed shot with a properly constructed bullet didn't put the animal down. Sounds like a hunter issue, not a rifle issue, and reflects in talking down on larger chamberings as compensating.
Thank you!

CoStick

WKR
Well I responded to a guy who referred to non-magnums are pea-shooters, so the response was appropriate in context.