Elk rifle preference

Recoil isn’t awful for me, I am just trying to figure since it’s going to be walking and hunting I’d like to be able to shoulder and fire if needed. But I also have plenty of time to adjust to the gun I decide on.
That has nothing to do with caliber and everything to do with your scope. If you’re ok with a little thump get the .300 Win Mag. But there’s definitely nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag either. I have one of those and a .300 RUM. Love that 7!

Anyone using a 6.5? I bought a CVA Cascade in 6.5 PRC and I’m working up a lot for it. All the ballistic tables show it plenty powerful enough for elk even out to a decent distance I know people who have taken elk with a creed more with great results. Always interesting to get different perspectives.
Why? You can certainly handle more gun than that. So why?

TxxAgg

WKR
30-06 pops up in stock here every week or so

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
I'd spend money on a great scope for your .270, maybe lighten it up with a new stock if you feel the need. Otherwise, you own plenty of rifle already. A new rifle with a questionable scope on top isn't going to contribute to any amount of increased success. If it is a guided hunt, you won't be carrying anything other than your rifle anyways, so spend your money on making it as reliable as possible with a great scope should be the first expense.

I’m from the “Whatever it takes to inch the odds in my favor and punch that hard to draw tag I’m going to do” crowd. The “failure is not an option” kinda guy. Make sure you have the best rest you can afford too.E81D30C0-0885-4F24-A3B8-FC7580E88AB2.jpeg89D454CF-F372-4CE6-B501-BA58B741FA3B.jpeg

Currymac

FNG
Oof looks like we’re going to get hostile with the caliber debate! Doesn’t really matter though the bullet will do it’s job as long as I do my job. Plenty of Ballistic tables to prove it and plenty of real world experience to validate it. Everyone has their preference. I also shoot archery and I know the whole whole cutting action vs hydrostatic shock thing is different mechanisms to kill an animal but if I can fling a pointy stick at an elk or moose, my effective 6.5mm bullets will do their job as well.

CoStick

WKR
I’m from the “Whatever it takes to inch the odds in my favor and punch that hard to draw tag I’m going to do” crowd. The “failure is not an option” kinda guy. Make sure you have the best rest you can afford too.View attachment 388701View attachment 388702
We have only had to track elk shot by magnums, seems the pea shooting 6.5, .308, amd .270 work efficiently. No need to over compensate in our camp.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
Ruger No 1? 1885 Browning?

I’ve killed five elk, including one nice bull, with a Ruger No 1 in ‘06. Nothing wrong with a single shot.
If I could find an Encore to buy, I sure would, and if I had the chance to elk hunt with my well known and trust No.1, I sure would LOVE that.

We have only had to track elk shot by magnums, seems the pea shooting 6.5, .308, amd .270 work efficiently. No need to over compensate in our camp.
You realize what you just said right? Under the right circumstances I don’t doubt that those guns got the job done. But to say that a heavier projectile retaining more energy is less effective is well…. funny. I think what you’re implying is that whoever had those magnums wasn’t a very good shot and if that’s the case no gun can make up for that. My last 24 elk shot with 7mm Rem Mag and.300 RUM took 25 shots. No escapees. The extra bullet wasn’t even needed either. He was the only one that didn’t hit the dirt in the blink of an eye so I sent another one for good measure.

CoStick

WKR
You realize what you just said right? Under the right circumstances I don’t doubt that those guns got the job done. But to say that a heavier projectile retaining more energy is less effective is well…. funny. I think what you’re implying is that whoever had those magnums wasn’t a very good shot and if that’s the case no gun can make up for that. My last 24 elk shot with 7mm Rem Mag and.300 RUM took 25 shots. No escapees. The extra bullet wasn’t even needed either. He was the only one that didn’t hit the dirt in the blink of an eye so I sent another one for good measure.
I know what I wrote, just sharing field experiences. I am sure others have seen it as well. Look how much you lug around to shoot it well.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I know what I wrote, just sharing field experiences. I am sure others have seen it as well. Look how much you lug around to shoot it well.
You reference lugging stuff around and having to shoot it well, again this means the shooter making a bad shot not the rifle making a bad shot. It is impossible for a larger round that causes more damage to be less lethal than a smaller round in the same spot.

Same exact shot with the same impact point with a larger projectile will do more damage. If anything else happens its another variable not the rifle.