Effective Range Challenge Info

I just finished the shot kneeling with a twist. Lower arrow is my 55 yards, top arrow is my 37 yards. This was a 14 mile an hour winds, so I wasn’t very steady. But fairly happy with it.
0d4c221ec346f6f76e91209658b2044c.jpg

2c79ce1e9b74898fd493d4e7619b8e29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short tracking job today!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I tried it. Surprised myself, I shot straight gangster style. Had the bow parallel to the ground and string was drawn straight into my chest. Wasn't but 25 yards as I figured I'd miss. First 2 were a little low, 3rd was pretty good on elevation. Definitely more of a trick shot with a 62" recurve, couldn't get to my normal draw length but it was fun to try.
View attachment 176194

I'll edit this to show my compound I shot later in the day.

Shot was interesting as my 80 yard shot is from the center of the farm lane. I had a fence to contend with. I really thought my arrow would hit it but I figured what the hell, atleast I shoot cheap arrows.
View attachment 176315

First arrow is center, shot a second arrow from the same position it went a little right, but the wind picked up as I was shooting. It feels like Kansas around here the past month.
View attachment 176316

I didn't move up and shoot from any closer. Maybe that's more of the point of it, but I felt pretty good with the first one.
I've missed as many at the 2/3 yardage as I have the MER!

Thanks for putting this challenge together! I’ve practiced normal seated and kneeling shots but haven’t tried it with rotating my core like this.

Here’s seated (on a bucket) with rotation. Top is 60 and bottom is 40
eb45b4caf6796b0df4362798135c013e.jpg

Here’s kneeling with rotation. Bottom is 60 top is 40

5f3144d1a77ac677ba6ed00ad1f16a0f.jpg

Thanks again! Looking forward to shooting the rest of the challenge!

Missed getting my shot in today. Hopefully get it first thing in the morning. If not be a few days behind.

Getting to be the time of year on the farm where it's more to do than hours of daylight.

I've missed as many at the 2/3 yardage as I have the MER!

It used to be known I could hit anything with my first shot, it was the subsequent shots I'd mess up, over thought the situation. I think with a lot of these it's the use of different muscle groups makes the second shot hard, they are still trying to figure out why they were getting used the first time.

BigWoods

WKR
Day 5 - First at 60yds went 4" right. Second at 40yds went 2" low of center but otherwise good hit.
IMG_20200501_121308.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
Shot again in the wind. Holy cats.

Days 4 and 5, did both at 50 and then both at 30. 3/4 were centered on the kill zone with the 4th an inch high centered up with the kill zone so really happy with that. I assume the high shot was the 50 external rotation because it earned me this as well.

KIMG2876.JPG

I bowfish with a recurve and cannot remember the last time I slapped my forearm. Thanks, Phil. 😉

BigWoods

WKR
Shot again in the wind. Holy cats.

Days 4 and 5, did both at 50 and then both at 30. 3/4 were centered on the kill zone with the 4th an inch high centered up with the kill zone so really happy with that. I assume the high shot was the 50 external rotation because it earned me this as well.

View attachment 177604

I bowfish with a recurve and cannot remember the last time I slapped my forearm. Thanks, Phil. 😉
Arm slap was one of my first thoughts when I saw that shot; fortunately it didn't happen for me; Glad for my Traverse's longer brace height.

jfs82

WKR
This has been fun. I can only shoot from 30(29.75 technically) max at home (up against my living room wall out the backdoor) so I've been shooting that, also while learning a new bow that I just got set up a few days ago (no peep in there yet either).

Shooting a PSE evoke 31 28.5 inch draw, 70lbs, spot hogg single pin (never shot single pin before and it feels weird to me, not sure I'll stay with it. shot 5.jpegshot 1.jpegshot 2.jpegshot 3.jpegshot 4.jpeg

Shot all of these the last two days. with mild breezes in the 5-10 mph range but I'm shooting such close distances I assume it's not a big deal.

Shot 1: the good shot is the short shot.

Shot 2: both felt fine, all of these scenarios make me really conscious of my bubble level.

Shots 3-4: these both felt totally natural to me, I've always had loose hips so this positioning was no strain.

Shot 5: Close shot is the clear miss high. External rotation really tweaked an old injury I have with a bunch of scar tissue built up around my rib from several dislocations.

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
Let me know how you do on this one, tough one for sure.

Shot Scenario 7

jfs82

WKR
Scenario 7shot 7.jpeg Scenario 6day 6.jpeg
Had nice weather, no wind today.
Scenario 7, I also switched what knee was bent for both shots. Felt good there. I definitely did need a little extra time to stabilize, but I could see trying to stabilize too long and getting the shakes form holding an odd position for a long time.
Scenario 6, Ok I guess, I'd certainly like some more precision but I was guarding the ribs a little as well.

Last edited:

BigWoods

WKR
Scenario 7 went surprisingly well. The first shot at 60yds from a cold bow was just a hair high. Second at 40yds was about 2.5" left. Good to try this to give that confidence in the field should I need to.

The target was at an angle from me which narrowed down the center.

Kindly documented by my 5y/o.
IMG_20200505_172503.jpg

Center orange is about 4.5"
IMG_20200505_172819.jpg