Drone Etiquette

Man , I'm gonna have watch my skinny dippin places from now on. Although if someone caught a you tube video they may think it was a national geographic nock off on "save the whales " to much pasta this winter. Gotta loose a few pounds for fall Mountains. Lol

ODB

WKR
Drones and trail cameras both annoy the hell out of me because they are not under immediate control by the user. As stated above, there seems to a be a difference regarding public photography when the photographer is right there. I’ve done a fair amount of so-called “street” photography and I can tell you unequivocally it takes a lot more balls to stand 10’ for a person and take their picture without their permission than it does to shoot them from across the street with a zoom lens. There is a self-moderating aspect of having that kind of proximity to your subject. A drone lowers that inhibition to zero.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
Man , I'm gonna have watch my skinny dippin places from now on. Although if someone caught a you tube video they may think it was a national geographic nock off on "save the whales " to much pasta this winter. Gotta loose a few pounds for fall Mountains. Lol
#dadbod

bozeman

WKR
In all honesty, does that invade privacy, I think it does to an extent; however, the fallout from shooting one down could be quite costly. I am glad you didnt take an irrational/emotional action that you and your family probably would live to regret.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
In all honesty, does that invade privacy, I think it does to an extent; however, the fallout from shooting one down could be quite costly. I am glad you didnt take an irrational/emotional action that you and your family probably would live to regret.
Oh don’t get me wrong if I knew there would have been no legal ramifications that thing would have been done for. But with my three young children being present I actually decided to act all grown up for once. If I had confronted the operator/operators down stream when I went looking for them, I would have voiced my opinions to them. Whether that would have ended in me getting my ass kicked, we will never know.

I hear some of the hunting video guys talking about having to get permits to film, is it the same with drones?

bsnedeker

WKR
I hear some of the hunting video guys talking about having to get permits to film, is it the same with drones?
If they plan on making a commercial product with that footage I would assume it would be the same requirement.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Button

WKR
Seems like you are knowledgeable about drone hunting. I’m a FNG to drone hunting and have a few questions. Maybe you could help me out…
  1. Do you have a tag for drones?
  2. Is so, did you get your tag through the drawing?
  3. How many points did it take to draw that tag?
  4. Is point creep becoming an issue with getting drone tags?
  5. What is the NR tag allocation? (I heard it was going to 90/10 next year).
  6. Do they sell raffle tags for drones? Or just the landowner tags, ranch only or unit-wide?
  7. Do you need a permit to film with the drone?
  8. What kinda scope you put on your weapon for taking down a drone?
  9. What caliber is best for taking down a drone?
  10. Do you dial or hold over when taking a moving shot at a drone?
  11. Can I take one with my compound bow, or would you recommend my crossbow?
  12. Is a scoped muzzleloader legal, and would that season overlap with the archery season for drones?
  13. Does camo matter when you are drone hunting?
  14. How many trips did it take for you to pack out your drone last year?
  15. What is the furthest shot you’d take on a drone?
  16. Can your bullet corner cross through the air when shooting at a drone?
  17. How many drones have you killed?
  18. Do you cook the drone?
  19. I’ve heard calling can be an effective technique for drones, is there an app that can be used in the field?
  20. I’m not sure where to start on my hunt, would you mind sharing a few of your honey holes with me?
This is pure gold.

School me on drones and wilderness areas please?
Off of the top of my head, I'm not too familiar with the regulations concerning drones in national forests, but I know that there are no drones at all allowed in congressionally-designated "wilderness areas." The commercial software we typically use won't even allow us to operate drones in wilderness areas. Can't use them on Georgia WMA's either, but I don't know about other states. However, visual line of sight guidelines, as well as altitude restrictions and other things, apply across the board anywhere drones can be flown.

UpTop

WKR
Not a fan of them either. Love the “captain obvious” guys bringing up that it’s illegal to shoot them. I’m pretty sure everyone can gather that without your help. Doesn’t change the fact that 99% of the time when we see one the first thoughts going to be wondering how fun it would be to sling some birdshot at them.

Pro953

WKR
Privacy does not bother me too much. But boy do I hate hearing them when I am out in the woods.

Makes me fantasize about some signal jammer that sends said object flying off into the sunset. Not worth the drama, but it’s nice to dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of the final reasons i sold my house at the beach, drone out front of my house looking in slider, went out and schooled the guy, said he would leave. did not, called the po po and asked for advice, they had no effing idea what to do or say, told "pilot" popo was inbound ,which they weren't and he took off.
beach house for sale!! ,(off course having my son jumped out back by drunks was a real seller too).

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
Drone operators are, obviously, the problem here. Drones are very useful and incredibly powerful tools, but like any tool, they can be and often are used inappropriately by the person using it.

I've had too many negative encounters with idiot/asshole drone operators to recall, but one stands out.

Last fall we were at a public park with some friends, families with small kids, having a birthday party for my 5 year-old son. A couple of older dudes started flying their drones a few feet over the heads of the kids on the playground, close enough that the kids were jumping and trying to grab them. I walked over to the two operators and politely asked them to not do that any more and that I thought it was unsafe if not totally inappropriate.

Not long after that interaction one of the operators apparently lost control of his drone and it flew into/under the picnic shelter where a bunch of us were hanging out under, crashed into one of the pillars holding the roof up and narrowly missed hitting my wife's face by a few inches at most. After bouncing off of the structure a few times, it remained hovering at about face level and stationary. I walked over, grabbed it out of the air, and returned it to the owner with the promise that if it came near us again, the drone would not be the only thing getting broken.

The guy was totally unapologetic and seemed to think that I was the one being unreasonable...

2ski

WKR
For those saying not to shoot it because it's illegal. How are they going to find out who anyone is in the middle of the woods? Shoot it down. You're on video. But how do they know who you are? And is law enforcement going to put too much time into it really?