Drone Etiquette

Just conversationally......:coffee:

I would be less than happy about a drone hanging around overhead watching me or my family. On private property (mine) I'd be considering destructive action, but I'd also be aware that someone would be recording that and concerned (a little) with the legal ramifications. The truth is that I'm not familiar with the/any laws pertaining to drones, video recording, air space overhead and etc.

A shoot-first theory for me....with my luck....would have me bringing down a $5k drone belonging to law enforcement or some other authorized entity using it for legit purposes. The water would be pretty hot and I'd get burned. A drone on NF land could be a yahoo thing, but it could also be...I suppose... a LE thing looking for drug activity, illegals, or other things.

Personally I think conservative folk should advocate for drone registration and instant background checks. All drones should be required to wear blaze orange. DLP shoot-downs of drones should be legal....in this case DLP meaning "defense of lifestyle and privacy".
🙃

If being used by LE, the drone would not be sitting over you forever. I was quite surprised at laxity of drone regs in comparison to some restrictive requirements for hunting.
NF Drone regs:

WRM

WKR
Does camo matter when you are drone hunting?
This is a joke question, right? Of course it matters. You must not have heard KUIU is releasing Dronazz pattern this week. Catch up, man--you'll never fill that drone tag!

Oh, and the rifles!!!!

Like it or not, when you are out on public property, from a legal perspective, there is no expectation of privacy, anyone can film and/or take all the pictures they want, despite the creep factor. Legally, a person can be on public property, and film and or take pictures into private property, all they want.

Last edited:

Blazin67

FNG
I had some city building inspectors flying a drone around my backyard for about 10 minutes, I surmised they were using it to determine if I had a illegally built a permanent shed/storage building on the side of my house. It was a free standing 20x10 canopy style carport. It flew around for a while looking at it from all angles, never received anything from the city but looks like another tool for them to harass the innocent! I thought about pulling out the double barrel and just pointing it at the damn thing but I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over well...

KurtR

WKR
We use a drone to film the dogs training brings a new perspective in having over head video. Common sense would keep me from filming any one not involved with what we are doing. Its no different than guns it the idiots running it and not a drone problem but a dumb ass problem

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Whatever the fine would be 100% worth it to shoot that stupid thing out of the sky. I smashed one up into pieces a year ago when it hit my truck on a county road and never could find the guy to kick him in the head, and never heard from the law after I reported it. Most people hate drones, cops are no different and the cop I talked to said don’t worry I would have done the same.

bozeman

WKR
Wow....wild west cowboys out in full force today....I 'woulda' if it hadnt been for X......always cracks me up. You didnt take action, so why come pontificate about it on an internet forum. SMH........

The short youtuber that does elk hunts basically outed himself for using a drone to find water on a antelope hunt earlier this year. He was setting up and a local showed up to reclaim his spot claiming his ground blind had just blown away, he question how an out of state guy was able to find an unmarked water source. The scene just before that was shot from a drone.

FYI-shooting down a drone has the same legal standing as shooting down a Cessna so tread carefully. Not saying it would be prosecuted that way, but the capability to go away for a long time is there.

I am a FAA licensed Remote Pilot.

Doesn't mean what's happening wouldn't make me mad too!

I work closely with drones in my job. There are some changes coming that will require drones to broadcast the location of the remote controller, and there are either already or will be mobile apps that allow anyone to receive this information. However, the biggest problem with drone regulations right now is enforcement, which is virtually non-existent when it comes for the average drone user doing stupid shit and will no doubt extend to this case.

A good example is the "visual line of sight" rule: You absolutely do have to have visual line of sight of any drone you're flying by yourself/without visual observer (per 49 U.S.C. 44809). However, there's practically nothing to stop you from flaunting this rule, and many don't even know this is a requirement in the first place.

As for shooting a drone, there have been a few cases that were dismissed by judges, but it's still pretty damned illegal. But just as with drone regulations, enforcement of said illegality of drone-shooting can also be a problem. Should one decide to do so, I am sure there are a myriad of ways to avoid being caught.

I understand birds of prey like falcons do not like drones and take exception to them in their space. So if you just letting your falcon exercise his wings and got assaulted by a drone, guess self defense? ;)

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
I work closely with drones in my job. There are some changes coming that will require drones to broadcast the location of the remote controller, and there are either already or will be mobile apps that allow anyone to receive this information. However, the biggest problem with drone regulations right now is enforcement, which is virtually non-existent when it comes for the average drone user doing stupid shit and will no doubt extend to this case.

A good example is the "visual line of sight" rule: You absolutely do have to have visual line of sight of any drone you're flying by yourself/without visual observer (per 49 U.S.C. 44809). However, there's practically nothing to stop you from flaunting this rule, and many don't even know this is a requirement in the first place.

As for shooting a drone, there have been a few cases that were dismissed by judges, but it's still pretty damned illegal. But just as with drone regulations, enforcement of said illegality of drone-shooting can also be a problem. Should one decide to do so, I am sure there are a myriad of ways to avoid being caught.
School me on drones and wilderness areas please?