Drone Etiquette

Azone

WKR
Anyone ever had a problem with being “droned” while in the National Forest?
I went out to one of my favorite swimming holes yesterday with the family and had someone fly a drone over us for about 15 minutes. It irritated me to no end and the thought of watching a load of number five shot slam into that thing after going through a full choke crossed my mind. I took a walk down the river to see if I could find it’s owner to ask them to please stop but came up empty. Shortly after this it stopped and never came back. I understand the National Forest isn’t my private property and I have to share it with everyone but the drone thing should be illegal imo, total invasion of privacy.

I haven’t had any issue with drones while enjoying national forest land except on wildland fires when we had to ground helicopters. 🤬

I've had one fly 40 ft over my head while Turkey hunting. Had one flying around while mule deer hunting. Several have hovered above me while fly fishing, so many that I won't be surprised when I see myself in someone's shitty YouTube fly fishing video backed to crappy music. I hate drones more than point creep.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
If I had a gun- I would shoot it 100%.
100% and have no regrets.
It was extremely hard not to but my kids were with me and I didn’t want things to escalate with them around if shit got western.
I haven’t had any issue with drones while enjoying national forest land except on wildland fires when we had to ground helicopters. 🤬
Those responsible should be cited and FINED for that crap.

HookUp

WKR
Drones are flying cameras. What's the difference between someone taking your pic in public from eye level or above your head? There is very specific rules for drone pilots including the drone operator has to have a line of sight on the drone at all times. This would mean the legal range of a drone is a few hundred yards at most.

And for all you gun slingers shooting a drone is illegal. I wouldn't shoot anything that is possibly recording me.

Maverick1

WKR
If I had a gun- I would shoot it 100%.
100% and have no regrets.
Seems like you are knowledgeable about drone hunting. I’m a FNG to drone hunting and have a few questions. Maybe you could help me out…
  1. Do you have a tag for drones?
  2. Is so, did you get your tag through the drawing?
  3. How many points did it take to draw that tag?
  4. Is point creep becoming an issue with getting drone tags?
  5. What is the NR tag allocation? (I heard it was going to 90/10 next year).
  6. Do they sell raffle tags for drones? Or just the landowner tags, ranch only or unit-wide?
  7. Do you need a permit to film with the drone?
  8. What kinda scope you put on your weapon for taking down a drone?
  9. What caliber is best for taking down a drone?
  10. Do you dial or hold over when taking a moving shot at a drone?
  11. Can I take one with my compound bow, or would you recommend my crossbow?
  12. Is a scoped muzzleloader legal, and would that season overlap with the archery season for drones?
  13. Does camo matter when you are drone hunting?
  14. How many trips did it take for you to pack out your drone last year?
  15. What is the furthest shot you’d take on a drone?
  16. Can your bullet corner cross through the air when shooting at a drone?
  17. How many drones have you killed?
  18. Do you cook the drone?
  19. I’ve heard calling can be an effective technique for drones, is there an app that can be used in the field?
  20. I’m not sure where to start on my hunt, would you mind sharing a few of your honey holes with me?

Drones are flying cameras. What's the difference between someone taking your pic in public from eye level or above your head? There is very specific rules for drone pilots including the drone operator has to have a line of sight on the drone at all times. This would mean the legal range of a drone is a few hundred yards at most.

And for all you gun slingers shooting a drone is illegal. I wouldn't shoot anything that is possibly recording me.
The difference for me would be if someone was sitting on a rock taking photos of my family swimming for 15 minutes, that person and I would be having a conversation.

With a drone- that person is choosing to hide somewhere and photograph my family without physically having to interact with me.

I would react how I stated 100% with no regrets.

Seems like you are knowledgeable about drone hunting. I’m a FNG to drone hunting and have a few questions. Maybe you could help me out…
  6. Do they sell raffle tags for drones? Or just the landowner tags, ranch only or unit-wide?
  12. Is a scoped muzzleloader legal, and would that season overlap with the archery season for drones?
  19. I’ve heard calling can be an effective technique for drones, is there an app that can be used in the field?
  20. I’m not sure where to start on my hunt, would you mind sharing a few of your honey holes with me?
Sorry, self defense. It is just a reaction.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR

If some random person came walking along on the riverbank and deliberately started taking pictures of your wife while she was in a bikini you wouldn’t have a WTF moment and tell them to **** off? Knowing that it’s someone’s property and I was more than likely being filmed is what caused my better judgment to prevail.
I’m also not a huge fan of them given that some local tweakers were using one to scope out peoples equipment yards and shops in my area prior to robbing the places a while back. There was also no way in hell the pilot had a line of sight on it, unless they were across the river in designated wilderness.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
Hit up Jlhois and maybe try some drone osso buco. Just be careful if you gut shoot your drone and let it sit overnight, probably won’t end well.

Rob5589

WKR
All I know is non residents are getting F'd again... Hopefully Buzz will weigh in.

Rob5589

WKR

Same to me; creepy taking video and or pics of random folks swimming/recreating.

Well drone hunting is basically wingshooting. So I’m thinking the proper equipment would be a 12 gauge with number six shot. I had one fly over backyard a while back. I threw a stick at it but missed unfortunately. I would’ve enjoyed having a conversation with whatever asshole was flying a drone over my yard. I still have plenty of sticks.

Rich M

WKR
We have a low end unit for work. Figure $1,000 - it helps us do site reconnaissance and such for larger parcels. Furthest out mine will go is about 1/4 mile - and no, it doesn't have to be line of sight - just as long as the radio signal gets there and back. My youngest lady employee runs it most of the time.

How folks think they are discretely watching others - them things whine & buzz. If they had a quiet one, you'd never know it was there.

They use em down here for law enforcement too - guys 25 miles offshore have reported drones hovering & watching them.

Can't wait til they give folks back their privacy again.