Driving vs Flying to AK

I know guys who have done it. Small enclosed trailer with 2 freezers and a generator. Worked like a charm, run the gen at night when you stop. Freezers are just giant coolers during the day.

If you have the time, drive it at least once in your lifetime. Between the arctic wilderness, the wildlife, the pipeline, and being around other like-minded people, it's one of a handful of distinct American road trips. As @Wedlor says, freezer and a generator works a trick.

You could probably piece together a combi trip too--for example driving then an air taxi out of Coldfoot like Coyote Air (don't know them personally--just that they're there)

Here is my itinerary sample driving versus flying to Alaska, non hunting trip.

Driving dragging a Uhaul trailer with the wife and 3 kids:
Day 1. Cheyenne to Thermopolis, Wyoming so we could swim at the Star Plunge.
Day 2. Thermopolis to Great Falls, MT. Stayed at Military Lodging at the Air Force Base in Great Falls.
Day 3. Great Falls to Red Deer Alberta, crossing the border took about an hour with guns. They did not make us unpack the Uhaul. Stayed Holiday Inn Expess.
Day 4. Red Deer to Fort St. John. One of the kids was 2 she got poop bound so we ended up at the Hospital that night. Stayed Holiday Inn Expess.
Day 5. FSJ to Muncho Lake Campground. Stayed in a tent. All 5 of us, yes there were bears.
Day 6. Muncho Lake to Whitehorse. We stayed in a hotel in town. It was right on the ALCAN. I do not know the name of it. Sucked, but it was fine.
Day 7. Whitehorse to Tok. Every hotel in Tok was $300 or full. So we slept in the truck topper and the truck in the campground.
Day 8. Tok to Anchorage.
We saw 14 black bears, 1 grizzly, over 20 moose, 10 caribou, stone sheep, mountain goats, and millions of bison.

When we moved back to the lower 48 later that year for another DOD job. We did the same thing in reverse, but I did it alone. Wife and Kids flew back.
Day 1. Anchorage to Beaver Creek. Got a hotel very heavy snow in September.
Day 2. Beaver Creek to a gravel pit near Muncho Lake. Why pay to camp if you are sleeping in your truck.
Day 3. Muncho to Fort Saint John.
Day 4. Fort Saint John to Great Falls.
Day 5. Great Falls to Tonapah Nevada.
Day 6. TNP to Ridgecrest, CA.

Saw no bears, or moose, but I saw sheep, elk, caribou and millions of bison.

Wife and kids flying in 10 hours Anchorage to San Diego.

The 6 days, I spent I slept every night and other than the first day I drover 12-16 hours a day. You can't do much more than that, there is too much wildlife and fatigue will kill you.

I drove it and loved it 3 drivers on way up 2 on way back.up was awesome gained an hour every day cooked in daylight. Back was 14 hrs per day driving losing an hour a day cooking in the dark. But I would do it again in a heart beat!!!

Faulkton and Brookings mostly........a bit with Ryan in Watertown. Covid and an injury have sidelined me for a bit.
That's awesome I'm from Watertown. If you ever get back here and want to catch walleye and perch sometime look me up, I have access to 2 private lakes that are very good!

That's awesome I'm from Watertown. If you ever get back here and want to catch walleye and perch sometime look me up, I have access to 2 private lakes that are very good!
I'm surprised you have any fish left being that close to Minnesota.

Is that bull moose still hanging in Fleet store?

Back