Draw weight on a hunting/3D bow

Lol! I've heard that before but it's just not true. The difference is if you rev your engine it won't build more horsepower... your body will build more muscle/vasculature/stronger tendons/ligaments, etc.

If that's the case I should stop working out and sit on the couch šŸ˜œ I've been working out HARD for the last few years and at 38 I feel better than I did in my 20's.

Ummm, that's exactly how an engine builds horsepower.

Your body will build more muscle, but that in tern can breakdown joints.

I reckon all the body builders with broke down bodies are because of poor form.

Fat as I know, there's no replacing the cartilage in the joints, but maybe I'm wrong. That's what the arthritis doctors tell me anyways.

Your thinking is opposite for me. I'm toying with getting a 40-50# bow for practicing and 3d and moving back to my 80# bow for hunting.. Sure it puts me in the position of having 2 different arrows builds but missing the target with an arrow off a 50# bow doesn't touch the disaster that occurs with an arrow off an 80# bow

OP
streetdoctor
Your thinking is opposite for me. I'm toying with getting a 40-50# bow for practicing and 3d and moving back to my 80# bow for hunting.. Sure it puts me in the position of having 2 different arrows builds but missing the target with an arrow off a 50# bow doesn't touch the disaster that occurs with an arrow off an 80# bow
My second bow is a 2014 CS34 so upgrading that isn't a bad backup plan either... if I can convince the wife.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I went from 84 to 72 this year when I got a new bow because I got a deal on the 70lb limbs and then proceeded to not get the penetration I expected on an elk. Iā€™m going back to 80+ with a 550 plus arrow. To the guys saying you wonā€™t see ā€œmuch of a difference from 70 to 80ā€, please find me a 70lb bow that I can shoot a 570 grain arrow at 278fps with a 28.5ā€ draw. If you can pull 80 then there is no reason not to do it.

Yes I shot plenty of 3d with my hunting setups in previous years. It wouldnā€™t hurt to have a dedicated 3d setup if youā€™re really into it, but I used it more for practice.

Ucsdryder

WKR
To me, your joints are like an engine. You can burn up the bearings pretty quickly if you really want to push things, or go easier on it and make it last a lifetime. My knees are only lifting (Ɨ) number of pounds, less weight I carry everyday (belly) the longer they will last. I was told years ago an engine is only going to make so much horsepower over its lifetime, you can make it last, or burn it down going full throttle everywhere.
Well you know, if you sit on the couch and donā€™t do anything those joints wonā€™t get over worked and that cartilage wonā€™t get broken down.

Iā€™ve worked out 6 days a week for the better part of 20 years. I turned 40 this year and can still run circles around most guys in the gym and in the field. Some Crestone and protein powder, and a pre workout to get my butt in gear is all Iā€™ve ever taken. One day it might catch up with me, but the last 20 years have been damn fun! šŸ˜‰

Well you know, if you sit on the couch and donā€™t do anything those joints wonā€™t get over worked and that cartilage wonā€™t get broken down.

Iā€™ve worked out 6 days a week for the better part of 20 years. I turned 40 this year and can still run circles around most guys in the gym and in the field. Some Crestone and protein powder, and a pre workout to get my butt in gear is all Iā€™ve ever taken. One day it might catch up with me, but the last 20 years have been damn fun! šŸ˜‰

There's a difference in just sitting on a couch, and being active and exercising without overdoing it. I saw several engines loose bearings from not being used, cam bearings will actually dry out, then you have a dry start when you fire it up a few times a year. So it's not no activity, it's activity that is consistent, without pushing things.

Exercise is definitely the answer, just like regular use, it's the overdoing it that is the problem. Most I see don't have proper form drawing a bow anyways, I haven't run into any of the older guys who wished they had shot more draw weight.

This is coming from someone who has been there, I have shot 85#, even a few years ago I setup a bow at 75# with a heavier arrow. I realized I wasn't benefiting from that heavier arrow.

Let your experience dictate your decisions I reckon. I have started to listen to wisdom from others.
I'd like to put off a crossbow as long as possible.

OP
streetdoctor
There's a difference in just sitting on a couch, and being active and exercising without overdoing it. I saw several engines loose bearings from not being used, cam bearings will actually dry out, then you have a dry start when you fire it up a few times a year. So it's not no activity, it's activity that is consistent, without pushing things.

Exercise is definitely the answer, just like regular use, it's the overdoing it that is the problem. Most I see don't have proper form drawing a bow anyways, I haven't run into any of the older guys who wished they had shot more draw weight.

This is coming from someone who has been there, I have shot 85#, even a few years ago I setup a bow at 75# with a heavier arrow. I realized I wasn't benefiting from that heavier arrow.

Let your experience dictate your decisions I reckon. I have started to listen to wisdom from others.
I'd like to put off a crossbow as long as possible.
I did 75 Hard this summer and realized the term "overdoing it / overtraining, etc" is wayyyy overused. Obviously you have to be sensible but even two work outs a day every day for 75 days didn't feel like too much and after a couple weeks my body adapted. The body is much stronger than the mind.

LostArra

WKR
I did 75 Hard this summer and realized the term "overdoing it / overtraining, etc" is wayyyy overused. Obviously you have to be sensible but even two work outs a day every day for 75 days didn't feel like too much and after a couple weeks my body adapted. The body is much stronger than the mind.
Age?

We ain't talking weeks, or even months.

It's cumulative effect of years, not on muscles, just joints. You can train your muscles, your joints wear out.

Everyone is built differently, some can handle it longer than others. I wasn't gifted good genetics on that front.

Ucsdryder

WKR

It's cumulative effect of years, not on muscles, just joints. You can train your muscles, your joints wear out.

Everyone is built differently, some can handle it longer than others. I wasn't gifted good genetics on that front.
I agree with everything you wrote. My buddy looks like he should be in good shape, doesnā€™t lift weights, doesnā€™t overdue it and had shoulder surgery last year. His other shoulder is ready for surgery now.

As far as weight lifting and strength training Iā€™m a firm believer in slow and steady wins the race. That and proper form canā€™t be stressed enough.

OP
streetdoctor

I've been a career firefighter for nearly 20 years. Have to take a punitive annual VO2max test. Whether you are 20 or 59 you have to meet the same standard. I'm 38. Both my parents were 350+ lb from the midwest, I understand bad genes. We aren't going to agree on this. Physical fitness is the answer. :)

OP
streetdoctor
38. I've had one back surgery from a work related injury in 2019. I had knee surgery 18 months ago from another work related injury. I've broken my scapula. Last year I broke my pelvis, 7 vertebrae in my lower back, and a rib. I was back to work in 7 weeks including a five day stay in the hospital. The injury was in June and I carried the bull in my photo out solo in September. In my experience hard work is almost always the correct answer. I feel better now than I ever have. My VO2max this year was 60.

danwolf

FNG
38. I've had one back surgery from a work related injury in 2019. I had knee surgery 18 months ago from another work related injury. I've broken my scapula. Last year I broke my pelvis, 7 vertebrae in my lower back, and a rib. I was back to work in 7 weeks including a five day stay in the hospital. The injury was in June and I carried the bull in my photo out solo in September. In my experience hard work is almost always the correct answer. I feel better now than I ever have. My VO2max this year was 60.
Damn man, I'm 38 as well. Broke 2 vertebrae 15 years ago and feel it still. If I let up on any fitness routine to keep pain free. Totally agree hard work is the answer.

*zap*

WKR
Cam design effects how hard a bow pulls along with draw weight...so you really need to evaluate both. Guys shooting Mathews @ 70# with no trouble at all could not even draw my GTO @ 70#.

ymmv....

OP
streetdoctor
Damn man, I'm 38 as well. Broke 2 vertebrae 15 years ago and feel it still. If I let up on any fitness routine to keep pain free. Totally agree hard work is the answer.
I'm the same way. A day on the couch and I get flare ups. If I keep moving I feel great. The last year has been more of a challenge for sure, I had a son born august of 2021. So it takes more creativity to stay active compared to what I'm used to!
Cam design effects how hard a bow pulls along with draw weight...so you really need to evaluate both. Guys shooting Mathews @ 70# with no trouble at all could not even draw my GTO @ 70#.

ymmv....
I agree with this for sure too. The rx7 ultra I shot was stupidly smooth to the point 70 felt like 60 but at my DL it's not very efficient. The ventum pro 33 at my DL is nearly as smooth and significantly faster. My older CS34 feels way more stiff and I don't think I would want 80's for it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I shot 84lbs for about 5 years back in the day, then shot 70 for a long time, bow performance jumped and i dropped to 62 or whatever a 60lb limb maxed out at.

I shoot the same for 3d and hunting!