Do you skip your underwear while hunting?

Last few years I've started skipping the ole underoos . I know that sounds weird, but generally. regardless of the time of year. I'm wearing baselayer leggings, either merino or synthetic. Having underwear or boxers under teh leggings makes it a royal pain to take a piss and generally the underwear starts bunching up uncomfortably as well. I've found that the leggings also work as a great stopper for getting ticks on my legs so double bonus.

I'm mostly bring this up as more of an anecdote/testing to waters to see if people find this as a bad idea in western hunting. I've been doing this for hunting/hiking for about 2.5 years now without issue.

OP
D
I'll take that as a no.. haha
Haha. No. They boys stay tightly packaged while elk hunting. Couldn’t imagine hiking in the mountains when it’s 90 degrees out and having them dangle down like mudflaps.

The under armour tight fitting leggings fix the dangle down problem

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You must be a steer, no way in hell an ol herd bull is doing this !
I think it depends more on body build, when I was over weight I could not get away with it. In the military, at one particular place with lots of physical activity and sand, no one wore underwear and being like 3% body fat I never had any issues.

Now that I have lost weight, I can get away with going commando again, but I don't, normally.

yfarm

WKR
Inguinal Intertrigo, get this a couple of times and commando is the normal.
Need dryness and air circulation to prevent
Anything that holds heat and moisture makes it start and get worse.
Prevention: Daily washing, anecdotally think yellow dial soap is a significant preventative. Steroid creme immediately at the first sign of an outbreak. Keep dry with air circulation means hunting commando with shorts when ambient temps are over 90 with heat index in the 100s. Was checking the ranch yesterday with the dogs driving a ranger with shade, wearing running clothes with snake boots and was still wet. Down here my prevention mode is early April until November and have to watch carefully when I go back into long pants. Had an old cowboy from down here tell me the most important thing in his saddlebag was a tube of antifungal creme from Mexico. Not much worse than jeans,boots,chaps and a saddle in high temps.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Boxer briefs my friend. No sense in the boys flopping about on a long hike.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will sub the undies for long baselayer if it’s not going to warm up. If we’re talking early season where it’s around freezing in the morning and seventies in the afternoon I use zip off base layer over the undies.

Used too but got tired of picking sand spurs and such off the fellas, ya know old guys situation. :sneaky:

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I typically wear Calvin Klein boxers but have never found the perfect pair of boxers for backpacking/ hiking. They all bunch up and it’s quite annoying. I have worn some very think under armor leggings with no underwear before and that’s pretty pleasant. Just don’t want to wear leggings for an extended period of time

KenLee

WKR
It's so damn hot when deer season opens in South Carolina, we often hunt ladder and box stands in ONLY our underwear.
Thermocells are your friend.

ibefshn

FNG
Any sent problems with leggings on backpack trips or are you talking straight merino leggings?

As long as you’re comfortable, do what works for you. The base layers you’re wearing accomplish basically the same thing as boxer briefs anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, at 135 pounds my underwear was causing some discomfort from my pack. 4 miles with 150 pounds today and no underwear fixed it.