Do you hunt alone

OP
RichP

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies! I don't feel like a social reject now.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you haven't already read them, Kevin Dill (in the moose forum) has some great info on hunting moose alone and the additional gear that makes processing much easier. Worth a read IMO.

Perrin713

FNG
Whitetail hunting in NY I prefer to hunt alone. Waterfowl I prefer to have a partner along with hunting in Montana.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I hunt alone 90% of the time. I go sporadically and find it difficult to plan with others.

Being a new hunter, I also haven't really been invited along with many people with more experience, despite my efforts. One older fellow invited my to his elk camp the past few years and I've learned a lot.

Billinsd

WKR
Yes I do, because finding a hunting partner that I'm compatible with is harder than it was to find my wife at almost 40 years old!!!

I hunt alone for all my whitetail hunts. Something about sitting in a tree for 12 hours is better than therapy. All my Western hunts have had others involved, but that will change next year.

ChrisS

WKR
I really like having someone to camp with, but the actual hunting portion is much better alone IMO.
Same thing here. I prefer to hunt alone, but I don't like camping alone. It really wears on me and my mental toughness in this regard is my weak spot.
Something about sitting in a tree for 12 hours is better than therapy.
I just can't do that. I'll shoot a couple does from my buddy's property, but I'm out of the tree by 10am. It's not in my nature so I prefer still hunting in the Adirondacks where I can walk 5-10 miles without crossing a boundary.

I really enjoy hunting alone. I really enjoy hunting with good friends.
If you do tackle solo hunts, just be realistic about your fitness level, and backcountry abilities. You do not have to be a 'super hard mountain athlete' with thousands of dollars worth of the latest gear to enjoy yourself on a solo hunt... just use your head.
On the flip side, if you hunt with other people, realize you may have to adjust your expectations for the trip to enjoy yourself.
Any time out in the woods/mountains/prairies/water is well spent.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I'm alone about 50% (used to be about 90%) of the time now, I'll usually split my time between my own tags (which historically I hunted alone, but more and more I'll have a friend with the same tag) or helping friends with their tag(s), also, my girlfirned is getting more into hunting, so she's becoming a constant scouting and hunting partner too

1000yrds

FNG
I always hunt alone, not just bow hunting but all my hunting gun, bow or muzzleloader! granted i always let my husband know where i will be at and what stand i will be in. I feel a sence of accomplishment when i get out and do it all myself! so I say go for it, just make sure that someone knows where you are! good luck and trust me you will love the peace and serenity you will feel out there in the woods on a nice fall day sitting in the woods by yourself.

If you're with a guide you're not alone. That's the exact opposite of alone lol. I hunt alone all the time but hunt with others quite often as well. I like both.

Tyglick

FNG
I’ve done both plenty of times. It doesn’t bother me if I’m alone. But if I had to choose I would go with a partner. I’ve got great hunting buddies and it makes it a great trip every time!

If I had a nickel for every time my local hunting buddies said “ I’m going with you on the next out-of-state, big game hunt and adventure.” Surprisingly, they always back out when asked for their deposit money to the guides, transporters, or outfitters. I guess their new vehicle with 18,000 electronic components and bi-monthly dealership repair fees or the overleveraged new house is more important to them. Choices in life...
Public lands, over the counter ;) Cheaper and they have less excuse to back out.