Do you hunt alone

CJohnson

WKR
I learned the hard way (more than once) that it's better to hunt alone than to depend on others to meet you at a boat ramp. I grew up hunting whitetails in front of dogs and always enjoyed the social aspect of hunting. As dog hunting phased out, and I grew up, I learned to enjoy the solitude of being alone. Not super familiar with Western Backcountry, but I don't mind hanging out with myself. Once my boys get older, I'll welcome them to come along if they enjoy it. I don't have any plans to force them into though.

I hunt whitetail alone frequently, as my schedule often does not align with friends work and other responsibilities. I've been on a number of out-of-state hunts and never considered going solo.....travel and such has always been with a partner or group. Kudos to the OP for having the fortitude to plan and go for it on your own. I think this fall I will be doing quite a bit of solo bowhunting and am looking forward to it.

GAF

FNG
Most of my hunting is done alone. Whitetail, Mouflon sheep/Axis deer, and Black bear have all been solo.

95% of my local whitetail hunting is alone. All my western trips have been with my dad. Alaska trip will be with my Dad. Even on my elk trips, I have been by myself while actually hunting. Dad can't keep up with me in the mountains, he prefers to hunt down low. So, we usually split up, I hunt high and he stays lower. Other than him, there is really no one else i want to hunt with. Very difficult to find like minded people who are willing to work and hunt as hard as yourself. Once Dad decides he cant or just doesn't want to go anymore, I will just go at it alone.

JWP58

WKR
I hunt alone mostly.

Not because I enjoy it. All my friends work shift work and time off at the same time is almost impossible. That and most just want to hunt from the road. Heading out tomorrow for a few days in the mountain solo.

Now when hunting with my dogs I prefer to be alone.

couldn't find anyone free to hit OTC CO Elk so I went alone left on Sat. 4 AM home Friday at 1 AM. I slept in the truck and cooked on the tailgate. It was a tough hunt and I was a first time Elk hunter.
I would say it would be better with a 2 man team but I hunt whitetail alone for years now so it wasn't that bad.
I would go solo if I had to. Good luck with the Moose

Mosby

WKR
I got tired of friends and family constantly backing out from hunts after talking and planning for months and started hunting alone years ago. They always said they will go "next year". Of course, they never did and I wasted a lot of time and energy talking about hunts that never happened. That got old. Easier to make my own arrangements and hunt my own hunt.

I prefer hunting with others especially as I have gotten older but if my choice is hunting alone or not hunting at all, I hunt alone.

kiddogy

WKR
hunting alone opens up a lot of options and makes it much easier to adjust your plans and strategy.

bout the only benefits to having a partner is for packouts , the ol flush an punish or it never hurts to have a slow friend along in the event of a bear attack.;)

I do plenty of solo hunting! I am quite comfortable with my abilities in the woods. Whenever I plan a hunt I do it for a solo trip and then invite my favorite partners. If they can make it, great!, if not I am not disappointed! There is something about doing it all yourself that is very rewarding. A campfire is a great companion after a tough days hike. I do like new technology in having a spot emergency messenger with me. I never "check in" with home as I feel that defeats the purpose of being alone in the woods but its comforting knowing I emergency contact.

We rented a satellite phone from the transporter on our recent moose hunt outside Bethel, Alaska. Well worth the money. Not needed for safety reasons on our hunt but we had communication, if necessary. Never again will I hunt solo or with a friend in risky, remote situations without a satellite phone.

macdaddy

FNG
I hunt alone 90% of the time. The rest of the time I am hunting with my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic is a current dilemma for me. Here at home I both ways, alone and with friends and family. I have two completely different hunting plans going throughout the season. Whwn I'm alone I go on hunts that are for whatever reason repulsive to the others and/or if it is a particularly wary animal.

However, I'm now wanting to branch out and do some western backcountry mountain hunting and I can't find anyone who wants to join in. But I didnt want to go alone in the beginning. I thought it would be wise to get some experience with the foreign environment. But after 2 years of watching hunting season go by I'm preparing to bite the bullet and go alone in 2020.

Nevvon

FNG
I normally hunt alone. That is mostly because most folks that hunt that I know do not want to go that far from the camper and the beer. I hunt with my uncle on public land near his house, he cannot get out and around like he used too so I am mobile and he sits in the blind. We stay together and enjoy each others company at the end of the day. I really enjoy the solitude of hunting alone. Although I have been at a few camps where I truly enjoyed the comradery as well. I guess you can say that I am a hunter of opportunity. I just hunt, alone or in a group.

As my name on this forum implies I hunt alone 99% of the time. Even in the back country here in the west. It isn't by choice but I can't find anyone who wants to hunt the way I do. They all either want to road hunt and get drunk or they want to hunt easier terrain. Or they won't stay after they fill their tag so at that point I might as well be alone to begin with. I think finding a good wife is way easier than finding reliable person to hunt with.
I have been lucky to have 4-5 great guys to hunt with. We push each other beyond what we think we should do! As for drinking, that happens but its usually a race to drink as much as you can before dinner and the 9pm bedtime!

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
One of the most freeing moments of my life was when I realized that I could hunt alone and be perfectly fine. I have so much more opportunity now that I don’t have to mesh my schedule with someone else’s. Now with the tech like a inreach it really isn’t much more dangerous than going it alone.

Marble

WKR
Did my first out of state hunt solo this year. I loved it. Same reasons everyone else has said.

I like being 100%in charge and responsible for everything.

I've found a lot of guys lack the total drive that I have to go all day and climb anything.