Do you have a long term hunting goal?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Offer still stands Luke, when you want to go after Mule Deer, or even elk.

If you got any hunts planned in November I'm all about it...pretty booked up here with sheep/caribou in August, sheep/caribou/moose in september, deer and mountain goats in October....after that though I'm down.

sdr

FNG
I have several long term hunting goals. The top of the list for me is the world slam of sheep.

I want to take a mule deer buck in every state with a combo of bow, different rifles, handgun, muzzy, shotgun and spear. Also to travel the world and hunt as many wild deer as possible. Plus the NA deer slam with muzzleloader including Brockett since they are NA deer even though nobody includes them.

Mine is kinda lame I guess, but to just be able to get out and enjoy hunting with my friends and family regardless of what animals I'm chasing as much and as long as possible.

I'll be lame with you bro. I hope to bowhunt for another 40 years. The biggest problem I'd like to face is to arrow a bull when I'm 80 and say to myself, "now how in the Hell am I going to get this out of here?"

My long term goal......do better than I did before.

Im out to one up myself.

If I killed a 150" last year, its gotta be at least a 151" this year.
If I killed 150 coyotes last year, its gotta be 151 this year.

Luckily, I only have to kill a VERY small bull this year.

Spend more time hunting, scouting, and photographing wildlife across North American geographies.

I would like bring my younger family members into the fold.

Perhaps incorporate other activities into the experience of an athletic hunt, e.g. kayaking, climbing, mountain biking.

I honestly don't have an animal bucket list, and have never looked at it that way.

Jager

WKR
Spend more time hunting, scouting, and photographing wildlife across North American geographies.

x2 lol

Living in Aust. to do trips to the US, I need to prioritise the animals I would like to hunt. Elk being my first, though I realise I need to be flexible on this, which is a bit of fun with all the research.

Elk

Muley's

Moose

Caribou

and on and on and on. lol

and that's not including bettering trophies here in Aust.

Never really though about this.....till now but I would say for me is to hunt deer and elk and other species all over the west and to be successfullmwhether its a record book animal or not I'll work my ass for the record book animal but just being out and hunting whether bow or rifle is a good day and too see different states and chase muley's or elk in there respective territoy and to just flat out push myself to succeed and not let failure be an option for me.

Oh and also like many ppl is to go to Alaska one of these days and hunt moose, caribou, sheep and mt goat and also to hunt like species in the NWT or BC. On of the 3 places for said species lol

My goal in life is to complete the Colorado Big 8. Need a sheep and a Goat and my mission will be complete. Hunt a grizzly some day. Arrow a bull 360+ and a Mulie 190+

TEmbry

WKR
For sure! I want to take a representative slam with my bow. One of each of the following:

Moose
Caribou
Deer (Check)
Elk
Sheep
Mtn Goat
Mtn Lion
Black Bear
Brown/Grizzly Bear
Musk Ox
Bison
Pronghorn (Check)

I'd also like to take the North American Deer Slam, all in velvet and all qualifying for Pope and Young to make it more interesting:

Sitka Blacktail (Check)
Columbian Blacktail
Mule Deer
Coues Deer
Whitetail Deer (Check)

To round out my bucket list are a few other random animals both in America and internationally I hope to run an arrow through one day...

Alligator
Wild Boar
Wolf
Chamois (New Zealand)
Tahr (New Zealand)
Water Buffalo (Australia)
Turkey Slam in NA (3/4 the way there)
Ibex (Middle East somewhere, perhaps Turkey)

I've hunted in 10 States (hope to reach 25) and I'm still only 22.... I feel if I stay focused I can reach all of these milestones within reason by retirement age.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to shoot the slam with my bow. That said the polar bear and a couple of the sheep could be the show stopper due to the costs by the time I'm ready for those. I have a long way to go though as I'm only 9 down. If it doesn't happen I'll be ok with that because I would assume one of the big reasons it wouldn't (other than the one listed above) is lately I've been having more fun watching my kids hunt and I can slowly see my focus shifting to that

Rocky

WKR
I'm trying to shoot the slam with my bow. That said the polar bear and a couple of the sheep could be the show stopper due to the costs by the time I'm ready for those. I have a long way to go though as I'm only 9 down. If it doesn't happen I'll be ok with that because I would assume one of the big reasons it wouldn't (other than the one listed above) is lately I've been having more fun watching my kids hunt and I can slowly see my focus shifting to that

I think the US banned or will be banning the import of polar bears. I know someone who moved it up and shot one a few years ago so he could be sure he could get in back to the US. I just a heads up.