Looking for Hunting FRENS. (Purple Heart dudes hunting adventures) Advice/assistance welcomed.

Hesko

FNG
Greetings my dudes,

I am 36 year old Purple Heart Retired Marine looking for love, JK. But I have gotten my first Western hunt under my belt and now I am addicted. Endless researching the next trip, draw odds, tactics, etc. I was lucky enough to get a donated tag through Wyoming donation system due to the above stated Purple Heart. I was able to get my first bow elk kill which blew my mind, just going hard in the mountains and all that training gave me purpose. It was hard going from a squad leader in combat at 20-22 years old to civilian life, I missed the challenge and purpose. But now a days I have 5 kids and I stretch my 3 weeks a year to hunt to the Max. Also, Thank you Wyoming Wildlife Federation for your assistance on that hunt, NOT GUIDED, but some local hunters helped. Can say with confidence I made life long friendships at camp and saw some of the most amazing country.

Now my best friend here in the Carolina's has a hard on for sitting in a tree and not blinking to wait for the one, covered up in chemical scent blocker and looking at moon phases. Not to shit on traditional east coast deer sitting, but I am over that style of hunting, My broken ass back can't even handle my saddle system for more than a few hours. However, I live in the Mountains and hunt a 2,000 acre WMA aggressively which fills my void until I get to go out west again.

THE PLAN:

1. Dec 1st, log on like every one else and hope I get in a waiting room to buy every DAV tag I can in IDAHO, bear, deer, elk, etc. Ideally I would like to hunt spring bear and fall early archery near the Wyoming boarder.

2. Wyoming preference points for a General Elk tag, this one seems locked down.

3. I got points in Montana, and Wyoming, and plan to put in for the NW lottery next year for Elk. So I will have Wyoming general tags every other year (If non-are donated), Idaho as a fall back for a under 200 dollar hunt OTC, Montana building points for the years Idaho and Wyoming fall through Due to the $1,200 price tag, and then fit i New Mexico any years I get drawn. Also, Colorado is a OTC consideration if everything else goes to shit, it is my understanding that Colorado is over loaded. My east coast friends that have made it west have spent years and years not filling tags in Colorado. I wasn't present so no clue if it has to due with elk or hunter density or both. That being said those 3 weeks a year when I live out of my ruck and am putting real life skills to task while punching the man card are worth it, even in Colorado lol.

I am not asking for handouts or charity, but if their are any other patriot types who take getting in elk shape serious and putting out to the max (not sex) please consider sending me a message. I am trying to find people to hunt with on many of these hunts as I think its more safe than solo hunting. Any advice or assistance in the above states or in general would be greatly appreciated. I mainly archery hunt but am mixing in some rifle stuff in the near future.

Note: Not the biggest bull but it was a clean harvest/ethical shot, 50 yards and dropped. The whole hunt was nothing but amazing and my 5 kids have already eatten 1/4 of that meat in one month. My 2 year old daughter comes up to me and says "elkkkk Ellllkkkk", or meat, so proud.

Semper Fi.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3283.jpg