Do you actually use the safety in a bolt rifle? I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I hardly use the safety on my bolt gun, and when I do it's only because I have the background nagging thought in my head that "I might as well", or out of habit.

I'm not walking around with a round in the chamber, or the bolt cocked on an empty chamber, so I can't even engage the safety if I wanted to. If I'm at the range I'm not putting a round in the chamber until I'm settled on target. Maybe I use it hunting if I put one in the chamber in the last few moments before I shoot, so it's on safe if I'm adjusting my position, or if I need to stand up and move over. Maybe I've talked myself into its utility.

But hunting with an AR is a different story. I always have one in the chamber because it's too loud to load, and I only hunt with an AR when I need fast follow ups, which are often preceded by a fast first shot.

BBob

WKR
I hardly use the safety on my bolt gun

I'm not walking around with a round in the chamber, or the bolt cocked on an empty chamber, so I can't even engage the safety if I wanted to. If I'm at the range I'm not putting a round in the chamber until I'm settled on target.
No, hardly ever for the same reasons you stated.

To add: FWIW I also de-cock when I closing the bolt.

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I remember many years ago, my dad caught me with my safety off. I got whacked upside the melon. Safety is always engaged until I'm ready to shoot.

OP
jjjjeremy

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Why not? Safety is always on unless I'm taking a shot.
So you cock it on an empty chamber for the sole purpose of engaging the safety? What is the benefit of doing this, just for maintaining habits?

rclouse79

WKR
If there is not a round in the chamber you are safer than someone walking around the woods with a round chambered and the safety on. You must have been in the mood for a flogging when you posted this, or you are new to the Rokslide crowd. You might as well have gone over the top and said you don’t use your safety and you glass with the scope on your rifle. Good luck with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.