DIY Texas Aoudad hunt

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
It's Aoudad! Maybe that's why they are called Barbary Sheep in New Mexico, most people can't spell Aoudad.

Northpark

WKR
Did any of you utilize shooting sticks or trekking poles as shooting sticks? Assuming there’s a high chance of some pretty steep angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Three of us killed rams. Shots were 225, 350, and 440 yards with multiple opportunities out to 1000 yards. All ours were shot prone off packs.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
It's Aoudad! Maybe that's why they are called Barbary Sheep in New Mexico, most people can't spell Aoudad.

Didn’t even realize I misspelled it! Thanks.

FlyGuy

WKR
If you have access to 10’s I would consider borrowing/buying/renting. My 1st trip I had a pair of 8/32 EL (my standard elk bino’s) and a pair of vortex rangefinding bino’s that I’d just won from a monthly GoHUNT drawing.

The EL’s were far better glass, but they were just too underpowered out in that country so after that 1st morning I used the vortex 10’s.

Other option would be to bring 15’s, they are great for picking out Barbary.

For the rest of it, it will be similar to hunting mule deer. Glass a TON. Crazy how well those critters blend in. Don’t bother hunting over water IMO. Just look around you and decide what spot looks like it’s the most insane to try to climb to-then glass those spots first.

I’d take the 300. Shoot to 450y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Originally I wanted to break this up into sections covering prep, gear, the hunt, and then review, but will play it by ear on how the thread goes.

Physical Preparation:

I’m in relatively decent shape, 5’11 180 but want to dial it up before the hunt.

Currently lifting MWF and doing run/ruck TThS, with casual bike on Sunday. Will transition to lifting twice a week and replacing the third day with rucks. I live in Houston with very few places to “hike” so most of rucking is flat. Considering getting a box to step work with.

Hunt preparation:

Mike, the outfitter with WTHO, sent a ton of maps and GPS points for the ranch along with some areas to get started with. Duckhunter175 reached out and offered a ton of good advice and pointers from his hunt, as a number of others on this thread.

I plugged everything into onX and started digging through ranch and getting more familiar with the roads and topography. Still working through it all and will be continuing.

Two months out, so have a little time but it’s creeping up quick.

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Originally I wanted to break this up into sections covering prep, gear, the hunt, and then review, but will play it by ear on how the thread goes.

Physical Preparation:

I’m in relatively decent shape, 5’11 180 but want to dial it up before the hunt.

Currently lifting MWF and doing run/ruck TThS, with casual bike on Sunday. Will transition to lifting twice a week and replacing the third day with rucks. I live in Houston with very few places to “hike” so most of rucking is flat. Considering getting a box to step work with.

Hunt preparation:

Mike, the outfitter with WTHO, sent a ton of maps and GPS points for the ranch along with some areas to get started with. Duckhunter175 reached out and offered a ton of good advice and pointers from his hunt, as a number of others on this thread.

I plugged everything into onX and started digging through ranch and getting more familiar with the roads and topography. Still working through it all and will be continuing.

Two months out, so have a little time but it’s creeping up quick.

Honestly I didn't think it was THAT physically challenging of a hunt. Gotta let your glass do a lot of the work for ya. I'm 6'2" 240lbs from the flats of Wisconsin and I was Ok. The only time I felt fatigued was the day after I hauled my ram out a few miles. Just gotta take it slow on those steep rock faces.

If I dig out my old my old GPS one of these days out of my junk drawer ill send you some GPS waypoints of where I shot my ram.

As far as gear goes, good glass like everyone's said, and make sure you have a good spare tire and jack. We popped a tire pretty quick into the trip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cam.b.A

FNG
I’m going to be going on this same hunt this fall 2-3 weeks after you give it a go—any chance you’d be willing to link up and give me some pointers after you go crush it? I’m hitting it DIY as well. I’ve got a few contacts out of state I’m waiting to get in touch with who have done this hunt in the past and going to try and grab some information from them. Happy to share any info with you I find out.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I’m going to be going on this same hunt this fall 2-3 weeks after you give it a go—any chance you’d be willing to link up and give me some pointers after you go crush it? I’m hitting it DIY as well. I’ve got a few contacts out of state I’m waiting to get in touch with who have done this hunt in the past and going to try and grab some information from them. Happy to share any info with you I find out.

For sure. More than a few guys on this thread have already been super cool with sharing tips/experience.

Getting pretty excited. Got most of the gear nailed down and now just deciding which rifle.

Favorite thread on RokSlide right now. An aoudad hunt is my current obsession so I am soaking up as much as I can.

Any opinions on tripod? I am looking to pick one up for shooting use and am debating going with something that will also work for a hunt like this.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Favorite thread on RokSlide right now. An aoudad hunt is my current obsession so I am soaking up as much as I can.

Any opinions on tripod? I am looking to pick one up for shooting use and am debating going with something that will also work for a hunt like this.

I’m using a pro master 525 (I think?) but only for optics. Have thought about shooting off of it but no plans to do so as of yet.

I’d give Doug at cameralandny a call.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Update.

Got the 300wm set up for 200 eldx. Perceived recoil is honestly about the same as tikka, which was a pleasant surprise. Planning on spending some more time at the range over next couple weeks.

Fitness is where I want, gear is pretty much set. Finalizing Binos, bringing a leica 62 televid for a spotter.

For those that have hunted this ranch, did you find a lot of opportunities glassing from truck?

Reading and searching more for tactics.

Thanks for following along, and big thanks to all that have reached out with advice and information.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
22a5bf7de24fff2e380a3c7192240a53.jpg

One week out! Primary glassing set up.

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Update.

Got the 300wm set up for 200 eldx. Perceived recoil is honestly about the same as tikka, which was a pleasant surprise. Planning on spending some more time at the range over next couple weeks.

Fitness is where I want, gear is pretty much set. Finalizing Binos, bringing a leica 62 televid for a spotter.

For those that have hunted this ranch, did you find a lot of opportunities glassing from truck?

Reading and searching more for tactics.

Thanks for following along, and big thanks to all that have reached out with advice and information.

we did have some opportunities to glass from the truck but not alot. maybe 15-20% of our glassing was done from the truck/road

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk