Diesel Shortage - Anyone Worried?

So do I drive the 6.7 Diesel truck or the gas V10 tomorrow? That is my question. Funny thing is, cost of fuel per mile between the two is probably pretty close.

Still driving my 1996 7.3 but it scares me leaving it at trailheads in the winter. If I switch to gas it will be for the more reliable cold weather starting.
Exactly why my hunting rig is a gasser, the good old Modular V10 in an Excursion. Had an old 7.3 and it gave me trouble a couple times. Make sure you have 2 strong batteries and replace those glow plugs and it'll start reliably down to -20 in my experience.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
here's hoping the Northeast, particularly Vermont w/ their Communist Senator, is rewarded for voting blue and sees a brutal winter and the green new scam is further exposed as the left's concocted cabal to steal from the federal treasury and make $ for their donors.....
We love our brutal winters up here. Just hold my beer, flatlandah.

I spent 90 minutes filling up a lot of 5 gallon gas cans just in case. Filled the truck bed with full cans...kinda hurt my back cuz the truck has a lift. :) Better safe than sorry...can't risk not having it.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Nope not worried, now if it ever gets down to a 5 day supply I’ll consider worrying. Diesel just dropped another $0.10.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I spent 90 minutes filling up a lot of 5 gallon gas cans just in case. Filled the truck bed with full cans...kinda hurt my back cuz the truck has a lift. :) Better safe than sorry...can't risk not having it.

There is a certain amount of gasoline a homeowner can store - based on local fire codes. Usually 25 gallons

bsnedeker

WKR
There is a certain amount of gasoline a homeowner can store - based on local fire codes. Usually 25 gallons
I've said many times there are very few problems a landowner can't fix with 5 gallons of diesel. The stuff is pretty dang stable but man, storing it would make me nervous! Once it gets going, it's going!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rookie. After $5/gal diesel back in 2008, I picked up five 55gal HDPE drums and filled them up when I found diesel for $1.34/gal in Feb 2009. I'd get them home and ratchet strap them to a hand truck in the bed and then chain hoist them to the ground and wheel them to my storage spot, and repeat. Installed a $25 hand pump and a hose and filled up after diesel went back up after that short decrease. I've filled them up a few times over the years and emptied them, but only used that fuel when diesel was at least $1/gal more than I paid for it.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't trade my 2500 Ram Cummins for a gas powered version.

I just took a trip with it, and averaged 23.7 mpg. Obviously wasn't towing, but still.

2019, with 28k miles on it. It's still breaking in.

If there's a diesel shortage, there won't be any gas either, so really, it doesn't matter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ve fired up old diesel equipment that sat for years, ole Bruce and 5MB will be just fine. Now gasoline on the other hand, different story. The 2 are not equal, but using a good fuel stabilizer can go a long way.
Yep. Interesting though, gasoline formulations have changed a lot over the years. I pulled my old metal Jerry can out of the shed for hunting season this year. I hadn't used that thing in over 30 years. When I grabbed it, I was surprised to hear some gas sloshing around in it. It was about 1/4 filled. I poured it into an empty gas can to check it out. It was the color of a fine Tawny Port. I poured just a bit into a coffee can and dropped a match in. It did what gasoline does when lit, but if anything.......even better.

I figured I'd have to somehow clean the inside of that old Jerry can it came out of, but I shined a flashlight in and it was about as shiny and silver as the can could be. No gunk, no gumming, no particles, no stains......perfect. So I took a chance and put that gasoline back in, filled it up with new gas, and used it in my 34 year old Toyota. Quite frankly, it was like a turbo boost additive for it in the high country. Truck hasn't run that well and smoothly in years. There's even a couple big inclines on the highways nearby that I have to drive over there every now and then during the season, and every year I have to put the truck in third to pull those hills. Not this year, the truck was doing 65 in fifth gear without issue. I was amazed.

CorbLand

WKR

So, if there is a real shortage of diesel then the cities (all those small blue areas) will starve.
A lot of small, red areas will be in trouble as well. Pretty hard to grow your own food in negative temps and two feet of snow.