Destination Hunts to Improve Bowhunting Skills?

Sbird2019

FNG
Picked up archery about 10 months before a a previously scheduled African safari. The archery bug really bit me in that 10 months and I decided what better way to practice becoming a bow hunter than to go to Africa.
I had a very surprising amount of success, taking 2x impala, kudu, gemsbok, sable, nyala, and an awesome eland with my bow

The bug is really in me now and I want to continue my bow hunting journey, but looking for more of a destination trip / experience rather than just the typical white tail and hog hunts down south (which I still plan to do extensively)

Any suggestions on good destination type hunts that a beginning bow hunter can practice their skills in order to work up to more challenging hunts in the future like spot & stalk elk, moose, etc

I definitely want to push myself, as the process and preparation that enabled the success are just as, if not more important to me. I was shooting 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 8 months leading up to my last hunt. So preparation will not be lacking

Last edited:
What’s the goal of the hunt? Lots of animals? Or learning the real skill of trophy hunting? Spot and stalk?

I would say just start going after what you want to hunt. Plan the challenging hunts now. Definitely go after mule deer and elk.

Both are very doable DIY, especially if you are not too picky on what you shoot. Better to get practice upfront so if you do draw a promo tag or book a better hunt on private ect. You will be ready.

The challenging hunts will be the Sheep, caribou, mt goat… and spot and stalk pronghorn 😂

I have been to Africa and just recently went to New Zealand. Between the two ,NZ was much more challenging. Perhaps it was the service I used in Africa, but NZ was game rich and challenging finding the right one in the right approachable position. It was mostly spot and stalk and really did challenge those skills. I didn't get one animal I was after, even when switching to a rifle cuz I was running out of time. It was something I would easily do again. Went with my dad and we both had the same opinion that it was a true test of skills. PM if you want a recommendation.