Montana or British Columbia spring bear archery

I’m interested in a guided spot and stalk archery hunt this spring. I’m new to bear hunting and have been doing my best to sort through the info already posted on this fantastic forum. For spot and stalk, it seems the best options are British Columbia or Montana.

A few questions for those with experience:

1. Which destination for spring bears is generally preferred? BC or Montana? Any other desired locations where it’s spot and stalk only?

2. I’m looking for a smaller outfit, and more of a physically demanding hunt. I don’t need nor want fancy accommodations. Any guide/outfitter recommendations?

3. Although tough to predict and not necessary for a fantastic hunt experience, roughly what are spot and stalk archery success rates for these types of guided hunts?

Thanks for all who post on this forum, I’ve learned a lot already.

BC no comparison. It’s not even close. Vancouver Island is where you want to go If you’re looking for big heads, big bears.

A cancelation hunt is most likely your only chance.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
BC is great, and as covey said, at this point, getting into a cancellation hunt is probably your only option. Good outfitters are already booked up. Check out the Guide and outfitters association of BC website, https://www.goabc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/MH2023Directory.pdf for a list of outfitters in different regions on BC. I’ve recommended Pacific Bear Outfitters on here a few times. They are great. They can do hunts based on whatever physical challenge or lack of the hunter wants. Guides always prefer gun hunters, but they do take archery hunters. I recommend calling a few outfitters and talking to them.

House21

FNG
Agree with calgaryguy, Alberta has a ton of bears lots of colour phase bears as well if that’s something you’re looking for. I know where I hunt in Alberta it isn’t really physically demanding, but your chances of stalking a bear everyday or multiple times a day are pretty great

Agree with calgaryguy, Alberta has a ton of bears lots of colour phase bears as well if that’s something you’re looking for. I know where I hunt in Alberta it isn’t really physically demanding, but your chances of stalking a bear everyday or multiple times a day are pretty great
Which WMU is that? I would love to check it out!

House21

FNG
357 & 356 GP area. 356 definitely has more bears but there’s still quite a few in 357 as well. I grew up back east and my first day out bear hunting after moving we stalked more bears than I’d ever seen lol

357 & 356 GP area. 356 definitely has more bears but there’s still quite a few in 357 as well. I grew up back east and my first day out bear hunting after moving we stalked more bears than I’d ever seen lol
Ah ok I see, very nice! Thats pretty amazing!

BearGuy

FNG
Spot and stalk archery in Montana would be a big challenge but people do it every year. From what I’ve heard and seen, BC would have a higher success rate for that specific type of hunt.

Trial153

WKR
Easy choice BC for sure. BC is by far my favorite place to do a spot a stalk spring bear hunt, even over Alaska.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, I ended up booking Pacific Bear Outfitters in BC, based on recommendations on this forum. I look forward to posting feedback after the hunt this coming May.

Thanks again to all who post on here, have learned a lot!
Cool deal. You’ll have a blast. Post about your hunt when you get back.