Decision

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
Cheers guys. Yeah, I've decided that I'm not too keen on blowing it on a scope or anything of that nature. I guess if you're making 100k a year or something, it's one thing (buying really high-end gear). But at age 20, and only working part-time, I should probably be investing/saving as much as my $$ as I can. :0) And reading as many hunting books as I can to educate myself.

If you already have gear, use what you have brother. Gear doesn't make you a better hunter, experience does. If you already have good gear, which it sounds like you do, keep it and use it as much as you can.

You can spend stupid money on gear trying to get the best of everything, but the issue is that new stuff comes out every year and you will be behind the 8 ball every year. I have an entire storage unit that is fully of crappy gear that I have bought through the years because it was the newest camo pattern, newest this or that and I have killed most of my animals using gear like a pair of Carhartt pants and a wool jacket. Great gear gives a guy the ability to POTENTIALLY stay out longer, but if you don't have grit or the heart to do it thousands of dollars in a rifle, glass, clothing and a pack will not put more animals in the truck.

My advice keep your money, you have good gear and just keep hunting until you wear you stuff out and you have to replace it... Don't be like me with a ton of useless gear that you cant use!

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
Wise words, man. I'll take heed of it! Thanks.

By the way, if you're looking at getting rid of all that useless gear...feel free to just ship it all over to me. I'll dispose of it for you. ;D

JeremiahH

WKR
I would invest in Lasik. However, your still fairly young so maybe wait until your vision remains unchanged for a year or two before investing in the surgery ? That's what an optometrist will tell you anyways I believe.
I tried to get Lasik and was told my vision wasn't bad enough and I wouldn't be a candidate for Lasik. I'm near sighted just enough to make hunting and seeing football scores on TV a pain in the a$$. I hate hunting and sweating into my glasses and I blinked one of my contacts out into my lap in a Tree stand last month. I spent 30 minutes trying to put it back in with no mirror and a burning irritated eyeball when it was all said and done.
For what it's worth :D

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
I would invest in Lasik. However, your still fairly young so maybe wait until your vision remains unchanged for a year or two before investing in the surgery ? That's what an optometrist will tell you anyways I believe.
I tried to get Lasik and was told my vision wasn't bad enough and I wouldn't be a candidate for Lasik. I'm near sighted just enough to make hunting and seeing football scores on TV a pain in the a$$. I hate hunting and sweating into my glasses and I blinked one of my contacts out into my lap in a Tree stand last month. I spent 30 minutes trying to put it back in with no mirror and a burning irritated eyeball when it was all said and done.
For what it's worth :D

I went to my optometrist yesterday, and they said the same thing! I haven't received any new prescriptions for my eye sight over the past two years (due to being too lazy to get my eyes checked and continuing using the contacts/glasses I was assigned with 3 years ago). But my eye sight has deteriorated a little since then. If I continue getting check-ups for the next two or so years, I should be in a better position to decide whether or not my sight is stable enough for Lasik or not. Cheers for the heads-up mate, and I totally know what you mean...glasses and contacts can be an absolute b*tch to use. I especially hate it when glasses fog up in the bush.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
everyone is different, I'm 36 and just this year my eyes have stayed the same long enough for lasik. Invest, wish I did. or take a once in a lifetime vacation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

PA 5-0

WKR
Too young for Lasik. I am a big Zeiss bino fan, you're good there. Invest in a real deal scope-$500-1000. I highly suggest Zeiss or Lupy. You can book hunts, train ur ass off, and travel cross country to get within range of ur dream animal, but if your scope is messed up, ur f'd. A "good" scope, which came with a gun I bought, cost me a Booner ram in AK last August. I opted to buy a Swaro spotter instead of a rifle scope upgrade. I'll regret it til the day I die. Make sure your rifle is 1000%, and ready for ANYTHING, before spending a dime on other stuff. Just .02 from a broken hearted sheep hunter. Best of luck in school Brother.

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
Cheers PA, I'll keep that in mind.

Sucks that you missed out on that animal! But at least you've got your rifle all sorted out now. :D

Cheers,
AJ