Getting Into Hunting, Want A Proper Pack (and other gear)

Hi All,
I've only hunted waterfowl, upland birds, and small game so far. But am gonna get a muzzleloader (or learn how to use a crossbow) next season, and I want to go out big game and turkey hunting. I was supposed to go on an elk hunt last week with my roommate, but she canceled because she did not feel properly prepared for a 3-day trip in the mountains... Which makes sense as we are both totally new to hunting big game, and would struggle greatly trying to deal with a 400lb bull elk if we'd shot one. Unfortunately we don't have an experienced hunter mentor to show us the ropes, though I try to listen to as many hunting podcasts as I can.
I want to invest in some good gear so that next time at least I can have a pack that will serve us well. And some good boots for myself. I think we might have a sufficient knife, and decent sleeping bags, but I'm not sure. I have a good 2P backpacking tent (Nemo), and good active ear-pro (Sordin) already. What other gear is essential when going out on a half-week big game hunt? My total budget is about 2000, and I will be able to get many things on discount at Sportsman's.

I've been reading about Seek Outside packs for a while, and I'm wondering what size would be best (or if there are better alternatives.) There's a Goshawk 4800 in the classifieds that I'm lookin' at, that would be perfect. It would save me almost 50% of the cost too, haha. But first I gotta finish making 10 posts, lol. I tend to lurk too much on forums.

Regarding boots, I am looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400g. We have them at Sportsman's where I work, so I could get them on discount (and also break them in easily just walking around the sales floor!) I read that they don't do well for wildland firefighters since they are walking on hot ash and the boots de-laminate when exposed to heat, but I don't expect to be getting them hot. Is there another pair of boots that I should be looking at for comparison? Perhaps something from Crispi?

I guess I'll also need a spotting scope and tripod, and I was planning to go budget with Vortex for those.

Thanks for reading my long post, and I am grateful for any advice you deign to offer~ ^_^

Drenalin

WKR
Exo, Kuiu, and Initial Ascent make frames specifically for women. Seek Outside also has a great frame, the most comfortable I’ve tried under normal backpacking weights. It all comes down to fit.

I’m no help on women’s boots.

I’d skip the spotter and put that money into the best binos and tripod that fit into your budget.

TaperPin

WKR
That’s really cool - there’s a lot to learn, but go places for the experience and enjoy it - it gets easier with practice.

Until you’ve had one backpack it’s hard to know what you like and don’t. Sportsman’s has a lot of general purpose packs that will work fine.

Probably the most important thing to learn at this stage is basic mountain stuff - carry the ten essentials everywhere, know how to read a map, what to do if things go bad - basic things to keep from killing yourselves. Every year hunters die in every Rocky Mountain state because they aren’t prepared. By far the thing to prevent is hypothermia if weather gets bad or you get turned around or injured and can’t get back to camp.

The advice I was given at 14 in a hunters safety class was to go into the mountains and stay the night with what you carry in a day pack. To this day that’s what I tell everyone new to the mountains, and it will change what you carry and what you do. Stay close enough to the car that you’re not in any real danger, but it’s tough.

My mountain day pack is always together so nothing gets left out. It’s easy to grab and go for hikes, fishing, hunting, whatever.

Best of luck and let us know how things progress!

2ski

WKR
I'll echo to stay by the car. If you're not experienced yet gain experience in small steps.

You're kn the right track with your equipment thoughts. Buy technical clothing at work when it's on sale. Pro form and expert voice what you can.

Spike elk

WKR
I wouldn't recommend wearing 400 gram boots around the store. I started off with Walmart boots and a Jansport pack. You will figure things out as you go. You can save money on 2nd hand packs. Another pack to consider is sold at Sportsman's and that is Mystery Ranch. I have had good luck with two of their packs and they both handled elk well. Had good luck with Danners minus one pair, until I moved onto Schnees and Hoffman boots. If you have an employee discount at Sportsman's those are both serviceable brands that would get you pointed in the right direction.

OP
LassOfThePuddle
That’s really cool - there’s a lot to learn, but go places for the experience and enjoy it - it gets easier with practice.

Until you’ve had one backpack it’s hard to know what you like and don’t. Sportsman’s has a lot of general purpose packs that will work fine.

Probably the most important thing to learn at this stage is basic mountain stuff - carry the ten essentials everywhere, know how to read a map, what to do if things go bad - basic things to keep from killing yourselves. Every year hunters die in every Rocky Mountain state because they aren’t prepared. By far the thing to prevent is hypothermia if weather gets bad or you get turned around or injured and can’t get back to camp.

The advice I was given at 14 in a hunters safety class was to go into the mountains and stay the night with what you carry in a day pack. To this day that’s what I tell everyone new to the mountains, and it will change what you carry and what you do. Stay close enough to the car that you’re not in any real danger, but it’s tough.

My mountain day pack is always together so nothing gets left out. It’s easy to grab and go for hikes, fishing, hunting, whatever.

Best of luck and let us know how things progress!

What a great idea! Here in the next month I think I'll head up to the Santa Fe or Taos area and camp out next to my car to do some learnin'. Maybe I'll even hunt some grouse/small game! Or do some mountain biking, hehe.

I got my feet fitted today, and tried on some Kenetrek MEx 400's and Zamberlan Lynx 4014 (Boa). Both are size 8, and fit fine in the width, but the toe in the Kenetreks was too long, and was perfect in the Zamberlan. The Boa system was nice, I have it on my bike shoes. But I did like the higher boot fit on the Kenetreks. I want to find some Zamberlan Outfitters to try out, and see if they are the ideal combination of boot fit and snug toe-box.

Do y'all think the Zamberlan Outfitters, an uninsulated boot, would work alright in the winter with proper socking and perhaps a gaiter and/or boot blanket if needed? I've read around and some people prefer the uninsulated boots even in the winter.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Hi All,
I've only hunted waterfowl, upland birds, and small game so far. But am gonna get a muzzleloader (or learn how to use a crossbow) next season, and I want to go out big game and turkey hunting. I was supposed to go on an elk hunt last week with my roommate, but she canceled because she did not feel properly prepared for a 3-day trip in the mountains... Which makes sense as we are both totally new to hunting big game, and would struggle greatly trying to deal with a 400lb bull elk if we'd shot one. Unfortunately we don't have an experienced hunter mentor to show us the ropes, though I try to listen to as many hunting podcasts as I can.
I want to invest in some good gear so that next time at least I can have a pack that will serve us well. And some good boots for myself. I think we might have a sufficient knife, and decent sleeping bags, but I'm not sure. I have a good 2P backpacking tent (Nemo), and good active ear-pro (Sordin) already. What other gear is essential when going out on a half-week big game hunt? My total budget is about 2000, and I will be able to get many things on discount at Sportsman's.

I've been reading about Seek Outside packs for a while, and I'm wondering what size would be best (or if there are better alternatives.) There's a Goshawk 4800 in the classifieds that I'm lookin' at, that would be perfect. It would save me almost 50% of the cost too, haha. But first I gotta finish making 10 posts, lol. I tend to lurk too much on forums.

Regarding boots, I am looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400g. We have them at Sportsman's where I work, so I could get them on discount (and also break them in easily just walking around the sales floor!) I read that they don't do well for wildland firefighters since they are walking on hot ash and the boots de-laminate when exposed to heat, but I don't expect to be getting them hot. Is there another pair of boots that I should be looking at for comparison? Perhaps something from Crispi?

I guess I'll also need a spotting scope and tripod, and I was planning to go budget with Vortex for those.

Thanks for reading my long post, and I am grateful for any advice you deign to offer~ ^_^
Exo K4 is a great pack. People who like Kifaru really like them, but they tend to be heavy. Stone Glacier has a reputation for good packs. Seek Outside packs can carry a load, and are the lightest packs made that I would put 100 pounds in and hike (and I have done that).

To me, a K4 is a touch more comfortable, I also like the bag organization of the Exo more. I am keeping a 6300 SO non-detachable pack because nothing else can do what it can at 3.6 pounds, but the K4 goes out more.

4500 or so is a good size for a new hunter, it will let you over pack for a three day trip, but will also allow you to take longer trips.

Avoid boots marketed for hunting, they are all too heavy and lack dexterity in rough terrain. Go with a mountaineering boot. La Sportiva fit me well, but Scarpa also makes great boots if they fit your feet.

I have processed entire animals with a benchmade Griptilian and the Bugout. A knife really just needs to be sharp, what you have will probably work. For less than $50 you can get a Mora or Vic and a pocket stone and process any animal you need.

My advice, spend money on things you don't have and need, like a nice pack, so you don't have to upgrade later, if you have something already, use what you have and figure out if you actually want to upgrade and what you might want.

You will need a sleeping pad.Thermarest is hard to beat from a weight to comfort perspective, but not the most comfortable.

You will need a stove. Simple is to get a Jetboil, I don't take mine backpacking, but it more than works and is not too heavy.

If using dehydrated meals, a long handled spoon is well worth it.

My boiled down mental checklist
-pack
-food/cooking/water
-shelter
-sleep system
-kill kit/weapon/glass
-emergency (inReach, and a few odds and ends)
-clothes on my back

Everything else is extra

OP
LassOfThePuddle
Exo K4 is a great pack. People who like Kifaru really like them, but they tend to be heavy. Stone Glacier has a reputation for good packs. Seek Outside packs can carry a load, and are the lightest packs made that I would put 100 pounds in and hike (and I have done that).

To me, a K4 is a touch more comfortable, I also like the bag organization of the Exo more. I am keeping a 6300 SO non-detachable pack because nothing else can do what it can at 3.6 pounds, but the K4 goes out more.

4500 or so is a good size for a new hunter, it will let you over pack for a three day trip, but will also allow you to take longer trips.

Avoid boots marketed for hunting, they are all too heavy and lack dexterity in rough terrain. Go with a mountaineering boot. La Sportiva fit me well, but Scarpa also makes great boots if they fit your feet.

I have processed entire animals with a benchmade Griptilian and the Bugout. A knife really just needs to be sharp, what you have will probably work. For less than $50 you can get a Mora or Vic and a pocket stone and process any animal you need.

My advice, spend money on things you don't have and need, like a nice pack, so you don't have to upgrade later, if you have something already, use what you have and figure out if you actually want to upgrade and what you might want.

You will need a sleeping pad.Thermarest is hard to beat from a weight to comfort perspective, but not the most comfortable.

You will need a stove. Simple is to get a Jetboil, I don't take mine backpacking, but it more than works and is not too heavy.

If using dehydrated meals, a long handled spoon is well worth it.

My boiled down mental checklist
-pack
-food/cooking/water
-shelter
-sleep system
-kill kit/weapon/glass
-emergency (inReach, and a few odds and ends)
-clothes on my back

Everything else is extra

Thanks Marbles, I appreciate the thoughtful reply! Your personal checklist is very useful. I have a stove, but actually don't know if I have a thermarest. I have read the Argali Serac knife is pretty good as an all-rounder, and the $200 price point is reasonable. Having never field dressed big game, just birds, do I actually need a gut hook?

I think the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50 ($270 retail) is a solid looking binocular for my purposes. I like my Diamondback rangefinder. What might a good 'binoc + tripod + adapter' setup look like? What am I looking for in a tripod? Will I also be using it as a shooting rest?

OP
LassOfThePuddle
Well I bought the Serac, as a part of Argali's 'Backcountry Field Kit'. I don't have game bags either, and I love the look of these (and that I am assured they can handle up to an entire bull elk!) This company is fast growing on me. ^_^

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Marbles, I appreciate the thoughtful reply! Your personal checklist is very useful. I have a stove, but actually don't know if I have a thermarest. I have read the Argali Serac knife is pretty good as an all-rounder, and the $200 price point is reasonable. Having never field dressed big game, just birds, do I actually need a gut hook?

I think the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50 ($270 retail) is a solid looking binocular for my purposes. I like my Diamondback rangefinder. What might a good 'binoc + tripod + adapter' setup look like? What am I looking for in a tripod? Will I also be using it as a shooting rest?
A gut hook is not needed, I have never used one. Place your finger over the tip when opening the abdomen and it will help not puncture an intestine.

I find it easier to skin before gutting. The gutless method works well to. Lots of ways to get it done.

Everyone's eyes are different, and I have not used the Diamondbacks, but my cheap (Leuphold Yosemite) binoculars were worthless and I simply hunted without binoculars rather than carry them. I currently use Zeiss Conquests that I got for 20% off from Moosejaw. That will eat heavily into your budget though.

For tripod, I would look for something light, my wife Surui travel tripod works well for seated glassing, but is not standing hight, the ball head is also good for the price. I would personally go without a tripod before using another Vanguard.

Being on a budget, I would get Wiser Precision quick sticks and use those to stabilize binos starting out (might be bad advice, I hunt Alaska and have not hunted Elk) and get better glass. Some of that is also hunting style dependent.

20231024_061213.jpg

zacattack

WKR
I really like my kifaru frame and pack (duplex lite and hoodlum) it’s heavier than a lot of others but I like the fit, quality and design of the hoodlum.

Make sure your sleeping bag and sleeping bag are good quality, and adequate r value for the time of year, your life and a good nights sleep depend on them.

You can rent spotters and tripods and a lot of other high end gear until you figure out what you really need.

socoalt

WKR
I will add another vote for exo packs. My wife got the k4 exs designed for women and packed her mule deer with it. She had as much weight as she could handle and had no complaints. I would say to get the best binos you can afford (at least viper level of you are going with vortex) and skip the spotter for now. Put the spotter money towards boots, etc. the saying buy once cry once really is good advice. If I had all the money I lost upgrading so-so gear to what I have now well…

You don't really need a lot of gear to go hunting and be successful. It sounds like you may already be a hiker/backpacker, and if so, you probably have a majority of things that will work fine. If you have time to burn, there's a lifetime of reading on here dissecting the minutia of one pair of pants or another...

A good pack, boots, and binoculars is really the most important. When I bought my girlfriend her pack, I tried to steer her towards a hunting pack but she wanted an osprey. Now that she's been training with a sandbag in the osprey, she wants a better hunting pack... I don't know anything about seek outside packs but they are or were a sponsor on here. I would give them a call and ask what they suggest for women's packs.

The things that I would suggest are for your vehicle. Get a tire plug kit and some way to inflate tires. Wire a spare key to your frame somewhere. Get a battery jump starter.

Breaking down a large animal is often done in irregular positions on ground with poor footing. Make sure you have a decent first aid kit with items for dealing with cuts/bleeding.

You mentioned hunting small game. I think that would be a very good idea to practice the basics. A rabbit and a deer really aren't put together much differently. It's a perfect chance to get used to how the different joints connect and where to make cuts.

I would also suggest skipping the muzzleloader and crossbow, unless you already have a shotgun, centerfire rifle, and rimfire rifle. If you have a compound or traditional bow, find a local league to shoot with, guys love to talk about hunting and it would be a good time to ask questions.

Try on many packs. If possible, put some heavy items in them when you try them on, then cinch that chest strap and see how all of the straps ride on the cleavage region. We women are unique in that we have to consider “boobage” as a complicating factor. And not all “racks” are the same - what works for a b cup rack will not work for a d cup rack. 👀
I tried on several name brand packs and the Barney’s pack fits me best. Plus, it’s a great pack and has a really comfortable hip belt.
Don’t go by what works well for someone else. Go by what works for you.

Hi All,

It would really help to reach out locally and see if anyone has packs you can try on, it’s a big purchase and if you get it right, one you won’t have to make again for some time.

Seek didn’t work for me, mine was brutal with a heavy load. I used a kifaru a few years and it was great, but I always come back to exo, and the k4 is a standout among all packs I have worn

Many love the seek, so my experience isn’t just how it is, just my experience… they are the most comfortable with a heavy load for some

If you have time, don’t be in a hurry to buy and try to try some on.

If at all possible, it helps to have the buy once cry once mentality with the bigger ticket items, because the upgrading process has wasted a lot of money in my life… I end up with a top shelf product eventually, but end up paying for it 3 or 4 times by the time I get it… I also understand not being made of money and needing several different items at once, and you can 100% get by fine without the best everything

I too came into hunting without any help or mentors, and my learning curve was steep, but just get out and start doing it, I truly think I’m much better off having to figure things out myself, and wouldn’t trade that for anything. I also suffered a lot with less than stellar gear for a long time, and it makes you appreciate good gear when you finally get it

Zamberlan are great boots, but the boa system is risky on a hunting boot imo, laces give you way more control over how the boot fits and you can solve a lot of problems with different lacing techniques… a friend of mine has the zamberlan with the boa, he loves the boots but he can’t get the fit dialed in with the boa and cause issues in steep terrain.. I love the boa system for certain applications but a mountain boot isn’t one of them

Good luck and just start going, analysis paralysis will hurt you more than help you, much of figuring out gear is going and finding the system that suits your needs over time

What a great idea! Here in the next month I think I'll head up to the Santa Fe or Taos area and camp out next to my car to do some learnin'. Maybe I'll even hunt some grouse/small game! Or do some mountain biking, hehe.

I got my feet fitted today, and tried on some Kenetrek MEx 400's and Zamberlan Lynx 4014 (Boa). Both are size 8, and fit fine in the width, but the toe in the Kenetreks was too long, and was perfect in the Zamberlan. The Boa system was nice, I have it on my bike shoes. But I did like the higher boot fit on the Kenetreks. I want to find some Zamberlan Outfitters to try out, and see if they are the ideal combination of boot fit and snug toe-box.

Do y'all think the Zamberlan Outfitters, an uninsulated boot, would work alright in the winter with proper socking and perhaps a gaiter and/or boot blanket if needed? I've read around and some people prefer the uninsulated boots even in the winter.
I think uninsulated boots are more versatile. Use them with good liners / socks and you will stay warm. If sitting on a stand or in a blind, boot blankets work.