Help me pick a scope please

IslandBoi

FNG
I am looking to buy one nice quality scope to move between a few diff rifles 6.5 cr, 300wm. Most of my hunting will be done on Vancouver Island for black tail deer and black bear, will be hunting in dense low light rain forest as well as some 2-600 yard shot across clear cuts. I'm much more concerned with durability/ consistency of the dialing and it holding zero after some abuse then I am about having an ultra light scope but all things equal of course a lighter one is ideal. I have 2-3k usd to spend Im not opposed to a FFP or SFP (I dont think figuring holding for wind on the sfp i was looking at would be too much of an issue. So far from reading through @Formidilosus evals (ty so much Form) I have narrowed it down to NF NX8 4-32x50 (ffp&sfp) or the trijicon tenmile 3-18xx44 ffp. A few schmidt and benders have caught my eye as well but I think they had a fairly limited amount of travel in elevation dialing. Thanks for the help guys and thanks for sharing so much knowledge @Formidilosus

I think the NXS 2.5-10x42 would be a good choice for what you're describing.
I have one, and it’s a great match for a rainforest rifle. I need one more scope soon and it will probably be another one of those or another swfa 3-9x, or a shv 3-10

I currently have the little NXS, swfa 3-9, and a swfa 3-15x and like the NXS the best

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am looking to buy one nice quality scope to move between a few diff rifles 6.5 cr, 300wm. Most of my hunting will be done on Vancouver Island for black tail deer and black bear, will be hunting in dense low light rain forest as well as some 2-600 yard shot across clear cuts. I'm much more concerned with durability/ consistency of the dialing and it holding zero after some abuse then I am about having an ultra light scope but all things equal of course a lighter one is ideal. I have 2-3k usd to spend Im not opposed to a FFP or SFP (I dont think figuring holding for wind on the sfp i was looking at would be too much of an issue. So far from reading through @Formidilosus evals (ty so much Form) I have narrowed it down to NF NX8 4-32x50 (ffp&sfp) or the trijicon tenmile 3-18xx44 ffp. A few schmidt and benders have caught my eye as well but I think they had a fairly limited amount of travel in elevation dialing. Thanks for the help guys and thanks for sharing so much knowledge @Formidilosus

You are welcome.

The NX8 is way too much scope for your use. Swapping scopes sucks, and a near guarantee that at some point one will come loose. A much better option would be multiple 3-9x SWFA’s (even used), or multiple Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil scopes.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Swapping scopes sucks, and a near guarantee that at some point one will come loose. A much better option would be multiple 3-9x SWFA’s (even used), or multiple Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil scopes.

OK, OK, talked me into a second one. Now I need to sell some stuff.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
You are welcome.

The NX8 is way too much scope for your use. Swapping scopes sucks, and a near guarantee that at some point one will come loose. A much better option would be multiple 3-9x SWFA’s (even used), or multiple Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil scopes.
I wanted both those scopes after reading your evals but i'm a canuck and it seems damn near impossible to get one here rn with out paying atleasdt double and waiting a few months

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG

Spend the rest on ammo.

Sorry should have mention im canuck . its hard to get an swfa or maven rs1.2 I tried to get both already. NF Trijicon and schmidt and bender seem to be three of the companies I can get a good selection of

atmat

WKR
A few schmidt and benders have caught my eye as well but I think they had a fairly limited amount of travel in elevation dialing.
The SB Klassic 3-12x42 has 4.8mils elevation, which is definitely enough to get you to the distances you’re wanting with those guns.

It’s a beautiful scope, robust, good reticle, and lightweight. I just sold mine because I’m finally shooting out past 650, but I loved it.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
looks like i can only get the 50mm versions here not sure if they have the 4.8 mils of elevation. So based of recomendations here and what is available to me it looks like between the NF nxs 2.5-10x42 F2 or the S&B Klassic 3-12x50mm

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
ty at mat, ty everyone @Formidilosus does SB Klassic 3-12x42 stand up to abuse and dial comparable to NF and Trij ?

Yes. The S&B Klassik 3-12x42mm with P3 reticle and and BDC (mil) turrets are solid scopes, and if 4.8 mils of elevation will work, and it sounds like it will for you, they are probably one of the best choices.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I would look hard at apex optics. The hunter 3-15 checks a lot of boxes. Also I agree that swapping scopes sucks. Buy one good one and a Burris ffII for now for the rifle you're less likely to be messing with turrets on.

atmat

WKR
looks like i can only get the 50mm versions here not sure if they have the 4.8 mils of elevation. So based of recomendations here and what is available to me it looks like between the NF nxs 2.5-10x42 F2 or the S&B Klassic 3-12x50mm
The SB Klassic 3-12x50 is limited to 3.2mil elevation travel as opposed to the 4.8mol on the 3-12x42.

It’s stupid. But it is what it is.

Hagas4all

FNG
Well… don’t take this wrong way but want to check what your experience is shooting and hunting? On Vancouver Island you will be hard pressed to find a spot to shoot over 100 yards and neither of the scopes you have listed are remotely close to ideal for black tail hunting in a rainforest.

You should be looking for fixed 4x or 2-8/10 with a clean and bold reticle. Definitely second focal plane.