NF scope decision for hunting, NX8 4-32 / ATACR 4-16 / FFP / SFP

Kimmo H

FNG
I recently got an ATACR 4-16X42MM MIL-C for my 6,5 Creedmoor, and I've been extremely pleased with the scope. Love the turrets, locking elevation, reticle is good and optically the scope just performs. The eyepiece design takes a little bit getting used to, but I can live with it.

Getting the taste for turrets and tracking accuracy of a Nightforce optic ruined me for good, and now I'm thinking of getting another one for an upcoming 223 build. The gun will become a short backpack carry rifle that will likely be hauled around a lot, used in all kinds of lighting and weather conditions.
Reliability is the most important thing, along with decent glass for general hunting / target practice. Leupolds etc. would make for a much lighter package, but the reliability and tracking part is a major concern.

I'm a bit torn between a few options:
Getting another ATACR 4-16X42MM FFP

NX8 4-32X50MM FFP MIL-C or the SFP mil version MIL-CF2D.

The nx8 seems intriguing with a bit more zoom, a tad less weight and overall slightly smaller package, but is it in return much of a sacrifice in performance from the Atacr?

Generally I don't care much for the 8x erectors, as the image always suffers on the top end. Knowing that I'd be happy if the nx8 is decent up to x25 or so, but the reticle in FFP worries me. It must be pretty tiny at 4, hence the SFP option is also in consideration. There are discussions online about tighter eyebox on the NX8, but is that only on the top end of the zoom range, or all around harder to get behind?

Any real world experience is much appreciated, especially if you have used both series of scopes and can compare the two.

Other recommendations are also welcome if something similiarly nice is around.

@Formidilosus has been behind a ton of scopes, maybe the mentioned NF's aswell?

SWFA scopes are not available here in europe.

The FFP NX8 4-32 is fine on the bottom end, it gets thin for low light but that’s what the illumination is there for. I’m pretty sure it’s the same dimensions at 4x as your ATACR.

On the top end it does lose a bit but I found it’s very good to 24-25x.

An NX8 4-32 T3 will likely be my next optic.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the NX8 4x42 and like it quite a bit. At the very top end - maybe above 26x, it does darken a bit in lower light conditions but you’ll be fine at everything under that. I have the FFP MilC reticle as well, and at 4x it is fairly small. That said, it’s perfectly fine illuminated in low light, and not illuminated in good lighting. 302021C0-0A37-4DBB-90AC-3FC034960DFA.jpegFCE4BD0D-78B5-4161-880C-80BF6E106DFD.jpeg

I tried to capture a couple of pictures (4x vs 32x) but they aren’t the best. It’s just really hard to do without some sort of phonescope - but that will give you an idea, anyway.

OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
I’ve got the NX8 4x42 and like it quite a bit. At the very top end - maybe above 26x, it does darken a bit in lower light conditions but you’ll be fine at everything under that. I have the FFP MilC reticle as well, and at 4x it is fairly small. That said, it’s perfectly fine illuminated in low light, and not illuminated in good lighting.

I tried to capture a couple of pictures (4x vs 32x) but they aren’t the best. It’s just really hard to do without some sort of phonescope - but that will give you an idea, anyway.

Thank you very much for the pictures! Reticle seems perfectly okay on both ends, and judging from the boards on the fence staying straight on both ends it doesn't seem as bad as some x8 scopes.
I do believe your scope is a MIL-XT as it has the tree at the bottom, and is lacking the inverted T that is found on MIL-C. I checked on NF website and the line thickness is basically the same for the two, so the pics are plenty helpfull anyway :) Good job with the camera by the way. I've tried to take pics like that many times and they always end up in off focus half moons.
Often there seems to be a fisheye effect on the low end, but that picture seems better in that regard.

The NXS would definitely be up on my list if it was available in MIL. I've started to sell off MOA scopes as it gets confusing trying to use both. On a set and forget gun that little 2,5-10 would be nice though.

I'll have to play around the idea for a little longer trying to decide. I don't think either would make for a bad choice, given the positive feedback on NX8 here and elsewhere, and knowing that the Atacr is as solid as a scope can be.
My wallet hates buying optics...

gearguywb

WKR
I have a couple of NX8 4-32's, FFP. Use one on my elk rifle for the last 3 years, the other on a Vudoo 22.

For me, they are really hard to beat. Are there better scopes? Probably, but you will have to pay a lot more for small, incremental differences.

It is not often that I use it at full power but one of the things I like in a FFP, is that in a bit faster hunting opportunity I use the stadia lines without dialing.

The NXS would definitely be up on my list if it was available in MIL. I've started to sell off MOA scopes as it gets confusing trying to use both. On a set and forget gun that little 2,5-10 would be nice though.

It (NXS 2.5-10x42) is available with the Mil-R reticle (which I think is a better hunting reticle than Mil-C anyways). EuroOptic has them in stock. Just an FYI...

OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
I have no idea how I have managed to miss that scope in MIL, thanks for the correction @MidGAHunter !
Another option in the mix then. There seems to be one in stock here in Finland, so there is a chance I'll get to look through one before buying blind. The non locking exposed windage is the only obvious downside to the nxs. The size would be perfect for a gun like this though.

WKR
I'm yet to have a windage dial move on that scope and with it set to 0, its an easy thing to check. Not saying its not possible, just seems low odds.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I stand corrected, it is a MIL-XT.

Glad it helped, regardless!

GearGuy is right though, those stadia lines are pretty easy to use and faster than dialing. I definitely dial more often than not but if you are in a shitty spot trying to make corrections on the fly, they work really well.

ATACR are supposed to be awesome. I do like the weight of the NX8 thou a little better

Id like to get a NX8 at some point. Don’t know if I want F1 or F2 thou. I only hunt and F2 serves me well

Just got two NXS with the moar reticle for a few builds.Went off the advice of 1/2 dozen hunters.
Not concerned with mil vs moa because these will be the only two scopes I dial and nobody I hunt with dials.Im not so sure but seems like people gravitate towards mills cause it’s the new thing,i like the reticle better so that’s how I picked.

OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
^ I like the MOAR reticle aswell, but Mils is just so much easier for me to work with living in a country where everything else is metric.

For me metric / mils translate faster in my head when sizing targets or making corrections.

Thats why I'm ditching the MOA scopes that I have / had, with exception of one on the 17hmr that is never dialed.

A part of me just wants another baby ATACR for simplicity between rifles that have the same model of scope on both, but me being me I'll think about this for a few more weeks for no good reason 😉

kickemall

WKR
I have an NX8, an Atacr and I put a NXS 2.5-10 on my .223 that I use for basically the same things you described as well a beater truck/ranch gun. I love that scope and have often wondered why I need anything else on my other guns.