Day hunting emergency shelter question

A space blanket weighs hardly anything and takes up even less room. The SOL bivy is my go-to and paired with a kifaru lost park parka it is hard to beat. They are like 30 bucks on amazon and come with a stuff sack. Throw in a hammock and you are sleeping in the lap of luxury.

Link:
S.O.L Survive Outdoors Longer S.O.L. 90% Reflective Lightweight Emergency Bivvy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WXX0JS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SRuDEbZN42EYK

View attachment 163482
I carry this same bag and 9x9 silnylon tarp for emergency use only. Its nice to hear from someone that has actually used it.

I just bought a new sleeping bag so trying to keep the costs down for this. I don’t think I want to go this route and have to buy an under quilt
You can use the sleeping bag in a hammock. Several guys around here do it. I’m with you I won’t do it but I’ve seen it enough that it might fit your bill

A good nights sleep may be important if you are packing meat out the next day.....good pad/bag and a silnylon tarp with a few stakes.

Tryvek weather wrap,,, wash it on light cycle in washing machine,,, then air dry with tumbling balls,,, water proof,,, light weight,,, and frugal costs at $4 for a 10'x 10' chuck... or 14'x 14'...

Bigger the better,,, super light and folds up into a small packag to pack,,, about the size of a soft ball...

Don

Some type of tarp like the original (Para Tarp). If you unfortunately get caught in a monsoon, the tarp is a life saver during the day also (Colo/Wyo 2013)

I had been researching the mountainsmith mountain shelter LT. It might fit the bill.
I just got one this week for the same scenario. Only 35 oz including stakes
I'd take the bag, especially if you have a ~2 lb one. When I was 20 something I could sleep in a rock ditch & be fine but not anymore

Anybody ever tried just getting under a big spruce, one with about a million stripped down pine cones underneath? Some of that stuff is a couple feet deep, dry and soft. Just a bag and bivy sack would seem pretty Cush.

If you're intentionally staying out, I'd say a tarp, bag and pad. Then there's food, and make it hot food? If you're trailhead hunting I'd just focus on staying nimble and boogie in/out each day. You'll be faster and more efficient that way. That spike kit is at least 5-8lbs. And that's for a mediocre nights sleep and minimal calories. I wouldn't want to hunt that way.

I made this a couple years ago. Simple. Easy. Lightweight.
Like mentioned above, tumble it in a dryer and it won’t crackle

What ever you go with, take it out and use it. Get all the kinks figured out and become proficient with it before using it on a hunt

Thanks for all the replies. I have a 2.1 pound tent, a sub 2 pound bag, and a little over 1 pound pad so a hair over 5 lbs total. Takes up quite a bit of pack space though and the plan would be to return to the truck every night. Only way that wouldn’t happen is if we got caught out there late or were 3 plus miles in and on elk.

I'd say use a backpack similar to Kifaru or Stone Glacier that is designed for 100+ lb loads and cinch it down. You may find that a frame designed for hefty loads is a lot easier on your arms, shoulders and body with small loads than a daypack that is only designed for 25 to 40 lb less bulky loads. Believe me, I learned that the hard way!!!! Even though a Kifaru bag/frame may weigh a couple lbs more than a daypack it is worth it's weight in gold!

It sounds to me like you are using a tiny daypack if you don't have much room with 5 lbs of gear? My EMR2 bag has over 6000 cu in of space which is super nice! I hardly notice light loads on my back. Also, if you harvest an animal you can bring a full load out your first load. I can usually bone and carry an entire muley buck out in 1 load by myself...which is nice! I use my Kifaru as a daypack anymore....it is that comfortable.

I usually go all or nothing. Either prepare to stay out or return to the truck every night. I often find it a lot easier to backpack a small camp in a couple miles that I hunt out of for a couple days at a time rather than going back and forth to the truck in the dark.

If you are covering gobs of country it may be worth just hiking in to different locations each day with an ultralight day setup. If you know you will be spending time hunting a particular area you may want to backpack in a camp? Depends upon the distance and ease of getting to and from the location.

I often use the fly off my 4 season Hilleberg tent for early season hunting. It is super light plus bomberproof with loads of room. I've been in early season blizzards with it in Wyo with no problems. I actually have a bivy bag but have never used it because I like the fly setup so much.

Depending upon where you plan on hunting and time of year I would be cautious about spending the night without a true shelter of some kind. I guess I'm a little more conservative than most. It can get pretty darn cold at night at 11,000' here in Colo even in the summer time. If in the prairie of Wyo or low elevation it may not matter as much. You may survive but why be miserable? I would prepare to either backpack in or return to the truck and your hunt will be a lot more enjoyable!

Last edited:
I keep a sheep tarp, small piece of tyvek, a few stakes, cord, and a space blanket in my bag all the time. It all packs up in the tarp bag and is fairly light and compact

I have the sheep tarp, paratarp, and a Seek DST. I usually pack the weight of the DST. It sets up so quick and easy in a plow point configuration. The sheep tarp would work for a solo night but its pretty small. The paratarp is great for a solo sleep shelter but a little trickier to set up in other configurations than a square tarp like the DST.

I got left out in the rain by a hunt "partner" and got to test my tarp, fire making skills w wet wood, and general composure over hypothermia.

If you are dry, a tarp is all you need. If you are wet, head out if you can or start a fire and dry your stuff.

Day pack has emergency blanket, fire starters, water proof matches, lighter, Life straw. Compass with signal mirror.

Back