Dall Sheep Hunt - Outfitter Suggestions

Look at Dan Montgomerys rams from the last 3 years. I would like to know if anyone else in the state of alaska is getting sheep as big and as consistently as him.

MattB

WKR
Having hunted AK twice and the NWT twice for dalls, my experience suggests AK I the wrong place to go for a once in a lifetime hunt. I had a fantastic hunt with Gana River last year, and took a nice ram with my bow. If you are hell bent on AK, Ultima Thule is the place I would go.

OP
H

Hunt365

FNG
I tried to PM you MattB, no luck, looks like you are full. I'd be very interested to hear more about your experiences if you are willing to share.

Bambistew

WKR
Look at Dan Montgomerys rams from the last 3 years. I would like to know if anyone else in the state of alaska is getting sheep as big and as consistently as him.

Uh... have you looked at the other guides who hunt 13/14? There are only 3-4 of them... They kill also kill some giant sheep. Comparing sheep that come out of the Chugache to the rest of the state is like comparing Kansas whitetails to Alabama. Whole different animal.

I would NOT book with any outfitter hunting the Alaska Range (20A). The pressure is incredible, and the rams they kill are pretty young in comparison to most of the rest of the state. Sure an occasional old ram is killed, but compare trophy pictures and you'll soon realize that most of the sheep they are killing are 7-9yo which barely make full curl, if they do. If you're after a barely legal ram and want to pay top dollar... hunt 20A.

Sorry I can't help with an outfitter, but I would look at Canada if it was my money. The sheep that come from Canada are consistently bigger and older than anything you'll find in AK.

Good luck with your research.

primitive

FNG
The Lancasters in NWT (Nahanni) are well known, well respected, and have amazing Dalls. Their guides are bowhunting literate and their success rates speak for themselves.

Uh... have you looked at the other guides who hunt 13/14? There are only 3-4 of them... They kill also kill some giant sheep. Comparing sheep that come out of the Chugache to the rest of the state is like comparing Kansas whitetails to Alabama. Whole different animal.

I would NOT book with any outfitter hunting the Alaska Range (20A). The pressure is incredible, and the rams they kill are pretty young in comparison to most of the rest of the state. Sure an occasional old ram is killed, but compare trophy pictures and you'll soon realize that most of the sheep they are killing are 7-9yo which barely make full curl, if they do. If you're after a barely legal ram and want to pay top dollar... hunt 20A.

Sorry I can't help with an outfitter, but I would look at Canada if it was my money. The sheep that come from Canada are consistently bigger and older than anything you'll find in AK.

Good luck with your research.

I am comparing him to the other guys who hunt Chugach. And there's a lot more than 3-4 guides who hunt the Chugach... Who else has got as many big sheep as consistent as dan? I'd love to see them.

+1 on hunting in canada instead of AK. Wish I had the option!

Bambistew

WKR
I know everyone gets all hot and bothered when Dan Montgomery's name is mentioned...

These guys kill slammer sheep every year, and focus on Chugach tags.

Lance Kronburger
Bill Stevenson

I know everyone gets all hot and bothered when Dan Montgomery's name is mentioned...

These guys kill slammer sheep every year, and focus on Chugach tags.

Lance Kronburger
Bill Stevenson

Lance hunts tok too and bill hunts talkeetnas a lot. They get some awesome sheep but dans numbers separates him from those guys.

MattB

WKR
Hunt365, sorry about the full inbox - I cleaned it up and PM'ed you but have not heard back. I have not personally hunted with Ultima Thule but there are a few aspects about their operations, and more specifically their guide use area, that makes it pretty unique. From what I understand, their sheep numbers are closer to what you would experience in the NWT than much of AK, and they kill some great rams (I believe they killed a booner this year). Their prices do reflect the quality though, as they are more expensive than most AK outfitters but less than those in the NWT. A friend of mine who long envied their situation while running his own camp in another unit now works for UT, and I would be happy to put you in contact with him so he can give you his thoughts.

The NWT is a great option and I have hunted sheep there twice (Gana River Outfitters - outstanding, and South Nahanni - not as outstanding) because some of the outfitters have more bowhunter-friendly areas, but if I was to go to AK and was rifle hunting I would most definately book with UT.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I did a lot of research for my hunt in 07. There are some simply awesome outfitters available.
What I found is most are at least 2 years out if not more booked up.
I hunted with max after talking with many past clients.
His hunts 20a and I would agree it doesn't put out Rams like 13/14 but I was happy with my 9 year 38" ram.
His hunts are pretty afordable and for most people 5k is a bit of money.
I have had 2 friends book with max with excellent results.
Pm me if you want more details.

Good luck with your quest.
Bryan

radak12

FNG
I've hunted Alaska twice in the last 3 years with Coke Wallace of Midnight Sun Safaris. I killed a 10 1/2 year old in 2012 and this year a 9 1/2 year old. I had a great experience both times. The first trip 3 of us went up and we went 3 for 3 in six days, all respectable rams. This year, 2 of us went up and both killed good rams (mine was 37 1/2) by day 5. I killed a grizzly and my buddy killed a 60" bull moose. Coke runs a great operation and his guides are top notch.

If I was to ever hunt another Dall, I would go NWT and hunt with Nahanni Butte. For bigs rams, I think they have been doing a great job lately.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I tried booking with Braun back in 2005 but he was booked out.
The guy is a stud sheep guide!!!