CVA Temporarily Ceasing Paramount Production Due To BH209 Scarcity

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
The following is from their Facebook page CVA Official Paramount Shooters.

CVA

In recent months we have been receiving more and more feedback from frustrated CVA customers regarding finding components, specifically Blackhorn 209 powder, and large rifle primers. As a manufacturer, we feel we have a responsibility to offer products that our customers can enjoy and fully utilize in the field.
We are aware that there will still be smaller amounts of Blackhorn 209 powder showing up to a limited number of retailers, from time to time. However, we do not feel there is enough Blackhorn 209 powder being manufactured to keep up with the demand for the current Paramount users, along with the other muzzleloader users that choose to shoot Blackhorn 209 powder.
Instead of adding more frustration to our customers, we will be focusing on our other models of muzzleloaders and centerfire rifles at this time. Our team will be closely monitoring the Blackhorn 209 powder situation and will assess when it makes sense as a brand to restore production of the Paramount line of muzzleloaders. We appreciate your feedback and your understanding.
If you’re still looking to purchase a long range muzzleloader, there are currently a number of retailers that have the CVA Paramounts in stock. Because we want you to utilize your purchase, we want you to be aware that if you do so, the powder and large rifle primers may be much more difficult to find than in recent years.
We appreciate all of your support,
Team CVA

WCB

WKR
Strange approach. Seems like the market is ripe for them to bring a real bh 209 competitor out, rather than reducing their own product line.
For who to bring a BH209 competitor out? Hodgdon holds the market by the throat on powders especially MZ powders.

For who to bring a BH209 competitor out? Hodgdon holds the market by the throat on powders especially MZ powders.
Anyone motivated enough to market a powder? Like, perhaps, a company whose entire business is dependent on powder being available?

Hodgdon owning all the current powders does not prevent new ones from being developed.

Antares

WKR
Well, this is rather timely news for me. I've been looking real hard at getting a Paramount for the last few weeks, but I keep getting hung up on the nonexistent availability of components (i.e., BH209 and large rifle primers). This will be my first muzzleloader.

Just in the last few days I've shifted my focus to the Accura. Looks like IMR White Hots pellets and 209 primers are much more available. Sounds like the precision likely won't be comparable, but at this point I just want to get something I can find components for. I want to get some practice in this summer, get my certificate this fall, and do some late-fall/winter muzzleloader hunts. Seem like a bad idea? I'm not sure what other route to take.

atmat

WKR
Well, this is rather timely news for me. I've been looking real hard at getting a Paramount for the last few weeks, but I keep getting hung up on the nonexistent availability of components (i.e., BH209 and large rifle primers). This will be my first muzzleloader.

Just in the last few days I've shifted my focus to the Accura. Looks like IMR White Hots pellets and 209 primers are much more available. Sounds like the precision likely won't be comparable, but at this point I just want to get something I can find components for. I want to get some practice in this summer, get my certificate this fall, and do some late-fall/winter muzzleloader hunts. Seem like a bad idea? I'm not sure what other route to take.
I’ve had no issue with my Accura. Ironically I use the BH209 breech plug and have plenty of 209 near me, albeit at ridiculous prices. Also plenty of shotshell primers.

Akash

FNG
I too have been looking at purchasing the Paramount in the Colorado iron sight edition for PNW for my first Muzzleloader after getting addicted last Elk Muzzle hunt with a buddy. I started out looking at the Accura MRX but have read on numerous forums about the lack of quality with CVA. I guess now it's between the Rem. 700 UMl or Knight Mountaineer.

Antares

WKR
I’ve had no issue with my Accura. Ironically I use the BH209 breech plug and have plenty of 209 near me, albeit at ridiculous prices. Also plenty of shotshell primers.

The breech plug it comes with is for pellets, correct?

I too have been looking at purchasing the Paramount in the Colorado iron sight edition for PNW for my first Muzzleloader after getting addicted last Elk Muzzle hunt with a buddy. I started out looking at the Accura MRX but have read on numerous forums about the lack of quality with CVA. I guess now it's between the Rem. 700 UMl or Knight Mountaineer.

I've read a bunch of the Accura QC issue stuff. I think I'm just going to take a gamble. I'd like to get a Paramount or a Knight UL, but again, what's the point if I can't find components? I'm just viewing this as my starter gun to get my feet wet. If I end up liking it and component availability improves in the future, I can always upgrade.

atmat

WKR
The breech plug it comes with is for pellets, correct?
It’ll work with pellets or powder. They recommend the BH209 breach plug because it has a larger flash channel; it’s only $35 so I did it.

Others have said they’ve used the normal breach without issue.

CorbLand

WKR
It’ll work with pellets or powder. They recommend the BH209 breach plug because it has a larger flash channel; it’s only $35 so I did it.

Others have said they’ve used the normal breach without issue.
I tried the original plug with Blackhorn and got 3 out of 5 hangfires. Just spend the money and get the correct breach plug.

atmat

WKR
I tried the original plug with Blackhorn and got 3 out of 5 hangfires. Just spend the money and get the correct breach plug.
I didn’t even bother trying the original plug after having read reviews similar to yours. Like I said, it’s super cheap at $35.

OP
C

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I live in a small community with two Walmart stores about 15 miles apart and both never have BH209. Pretty much any legitimate online company selling BH209 has it priced around $70-$80 a bottle plus hazmat, shipping, and usually taxes. I'm not sure who's paying those prices but I won't be one of them. I have a Paramount that's extremely accurate with the powder but I'm now eyeballing the scope on it trying to figure out what I can put it on to get more use out of it. BH209 was $35 for 10 oz when I bought my CVA and easily obtainable. Think I'll watch from the sidelines for a while.