Critique my Backpack Hunt Gear List

AKMoose

WKR
Headed out for an 8 day backpack hunt in AK this fall, getting all the gear dialed and reviewing notes from previous backpack hunts. This should have everything I can think of and cutting out previous gear I didnt use.

Open to insight on anything I may have missed or anywhere I can shave some weight potentially.

Of note, I currently have all the optics, rifle, cooking gear and fuel. These will be split up to some degree between my partner and I.

schmalzy

WKR
Looks pretty slim to me, but take that with a grain of salt as I go on my first trip this August. Only thing I could really think of is ditch the TP altogether and just bring wet wipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on your water situation I like a bigger bag to tote more water to camp with, or set up a gravity filter with. Or even just a platypus soft bottle to have more capacity to hold clean water at a time.
I do love the smart water bottles. Threads fit the sawyer and if you get the squirt cap it fits perfect to back flush the sawyer filter, can leave the stupid syringe at home.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
TP will probably stay on, but could consider just lots more wet wipes.

And I bring 2X 1L smart bottles and then a 2L bag for the sawyer, so i can carry up to a gallon. Could always ad a second bag as well.

There is nothing like the sawyer system for weight, I love it. I put a hole on the bottom corner of the bag and hang it as a gravity filter, just use the backflush adapter and I can screw a smart water bottle straight into it (loosely so it vents) and it transfers straight to the bottle.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider

And I bring 2X 1L smart bottles and then a 2L bag for the sawyer, so i can carry up to a gallon. Could always ad a second bag as well.

There is nothing like the sawyer system for weight, I love it. I put a hole on the bottom corner of the bag and hang it as a gravity filter, just use the backflush adapter and I can screw a smart water bottle straight into it (loosely so it vents) and it transfers straight to the bottle.
I got a 2 gallon sawyer bag and we used it for spring bear this year, it was great. Fill with dirty water, hang at camp, filter from there. Good for a day or 2.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
List looks good :)

Not sure where you're headed, but if I'm bringing a headnet, I'm bringing bug dope too

I run the same stove and while it's pretty efficient, it would be cutting close for eight days on a 8 oz fuel canister- would suck running out of fuel

also consider using cut up blue shop towels (the paper ones) instead of tp- much stronger, you can get wet them (w/o worries of tearing) and you end up using less

Do this and thank me later.

Get your wet wipes and allow them to air dry. They will be VERY light. Rehydrate when you get to camp.
Works great!

ljalberta

WKR
Nice list. Real streamlined. Depending when and where you’re heading out, I might consider adding a warmer puffy, swapping out the base layer merino zip offs for puffy pants, and packing a pair of waterproof mitts. But I really don’t like being cold, and I hate having cold and wet hands.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
List looks good :)

Not sure where you're headed, but if I'm bringing a headnet, I'm bringing bug dope too

I run the same stove and while it's pretty efficient, it would be cutting close for eight days on a 8 oz fuel canister- would suck running out of fuel

also consider using cut up blue shop towels (the paper ones) instead of tp- much stronger, you can get wet them (w/o worries of tearing) and you end up using less
-Yes bug dope should be added, ill put it on now!
-Yeah I love the stove, and will be close with 8oz but really don't want to have to carry a second can. Will cut out hot drinks on the last few days as needed.
-Good idea on the shop towels, probably going to try out dried out wetwipes too.

Do this and thank me later.

Get your wet wipes and allow them to air dry. They will be VERY light. Rehydrate when you get to camp.
Works great!
Love it- trying that this year!

Nice list. Real streamlined. Depending when and where you’re heading out, I might consider adding a warmer puffy, swapping out the base layer merino zip offs for puffy pants, and packing a pair of waterproof mitts. But I really don’t like being cold, and I hate having cold and wet hands.
I've found that if I layer my merino shirt, heavyweight hoody, uncompahgre and the cloudburst jacket I can do well down below freezing. I run fairly warm I would say. Also I've carried around puffy pants for backpack hunts before and never even put them on even in the snow... just easier to throw on the rain pants and stayed warm enough. Waterproof mitts are certainly a potential, the merino half finger gloves have done well for me when wet too.

They actually make dehydrated wipes that look like tablets. I take a quart freezer bag and rehydrate with warm water when i get to spike camp.

Macintosh

WKR
Interesting, cant say I've ever torn thorugh anyone else's packing list. Not sure how far north you are going so maybe it doesnt matter, but I didnt see a headlamp on the list other than your e-light. Is that the only light you are bringing? Or did I miss it?

Also, dehydrated TP is a new one for me, should make for some good tent banter. I can see getting some mileage out of that! (slow clap please....)

Felton

WKR
I don’t think the dehydrated wet wipes makes a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe it works if you gonna use them next to the water source, let’s be honest who knows when your going to need them.

Here’s my thoughts, 4 extra oz to carry wet wipes vs carry 4 oz of water to rehydrate wet wipes. Water is your most precious resource and you’re going to just pour in our on a wet wipe and the excess will find the ground. It seems inefficient.

Fartface

FNG
good list, not much room for improvement. I just printed it out and will post if I think of something

Drenalin

WKR
I have zero experience with AK, but looks like a solid list to me.

I also like blue shop towels and the CNOC bags (check threads, they sell one for Sawyer and one for BeFree).

Seems like a lot of dry bags considering you have a pack cover - maybe you could do with either/or? Not much weight, but it's there.

I wouldn't personally be comfortable with just the Havalon and would want a pocket knife for general use, but this doesn't sound like your first rodeo.

Seems like a ton of food (you know your body better than I do) and I don't see carried water.

I print these off and use them as a checklist when I'm packing; if doing that, make sure to list your tags so you don't step off without them. Good luck!