Crazy Used ATV Prices-Is This Regional or Everywhere?

CorbLand

WKR
Pricing is “crazy” in Utah too. It’s pretty much everything it seems like. Pickups, quads, side by sides, sleds, doesn’t matter. Used is 15% less than new. I am in the market for a newer pickup and it’s generally $5-8000 more just to get a new one than one with 80,000 or less miles on it.

Right now the best bet seems to have cash on hand and be ready to jump when a good deal (for the times) pop up. We have been hearing it’s going to crash for four years…

I hear of other people getting deals like this, but haven't stumbled across any yet. Typically seems to be smaller town, word of mouth stuff. I'll keep looking, but there seem to be quite a few other guys who are seeing the same thing with crazy prices.
Don't be afraid to show up and low ball someone with cash in hand and a trailer to take it home.

You'll probably get cussed out once or twice but I buy stuff on a deal like that all the time. Especially if it's been for sale for a while.

Where did you find it for sale? Craigslist, FB Marketplace, friend of a friend, etc...?

The past few years have been interesting. I'm not sure if the current ATV prices are symptom of the semiconductor shortage, a sympathetic response to seeing car prices through the roof, general inflation, or some combination of all.

I thought about that for about half a second, but even buying one of the cheaper quads on the market will put me over 10K real quick. I don't want one that bad. I want to give a guy a couple grand and get something to put around on in the woods.
Facebook Market place. I saw it listed and within 3 minutes I messaged the guy. He gave me first dibs since I messaged him first.. he said he had 40-50 messages within a few hours. I’ve been lucky with other things as well, and missed out on many many more. I’d just not be in a hurry and set up alerts and look religiously. Heck I looked for a tractor for two years and missed out on many deals.. then that one came along and I got it way below market value.

Im in Ohio and a neighbor guy flips them. Usually Less than 10 years old pretty clean and a title. No junk. He always has a 4x4 for 4-5 grand. He also likes those Honda Recon 250, which are 2wd, for about 3 grand.
Ayup.. many people do the same with cars, trucks, tractors etc. that definitely contributes to the inflated market.

People have been saying that for 2 years, not happening any time soon.
Agree. But prices on the used market have been trending down for some time now. Covid money and cash out refi/ helocs are what pumped the market and they are ancient history at this point

Right at the beginning of the pandemic a dealer in Boise was running a deal on 2 new Polaris 450’s , and a 2 place echo trailer for $9999. Then the govt started sending free money out. The dealers were panicking at the beginning, then sold everything they had and couldn’t replenish their stock. Prices haven’t come back down since then.
Once in a while a deal will come by on marketplace. Like stated above though, you have to act fast .

cnelk

WKR
I bought a new Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 in 2002. Still have it. Man that thing is bullet-proof. It has 4700 miles and still going strong.

I also have 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4. Purchased from a guy who just wanted to sell it.

I'm glad I had the foresight to have stuff before things went nuts.

Last edited:
I bought a Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 in 2002. Still have it. Man that thing is bullet-proof. It has 4700 miles and still going strong.

I also have 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4. Purchased from a guy who just wanted to sell it.

I'm glad I had the foresight to have stuff before things went nuts.
I’ve got an old ‘96 Kodiak. I don’t know how many miles it has on it. The odometer quit working years ago. My dad bought it new. Tough, reliable old machines.

I hear of other people getting deals like this, but haven't stumbled across any yet. Typically seems to be smaller town, word of mouth stuff. I'll keep looking, but there seem to be quite a few other guys who are seeing the same thing with crazy prices.
Let me know we got one local rancher interested but he hasn’t brought a check. Roads are good now if you want to adventure

I wouldn’t be afraid of high mileage Hondas either. I ran a rincon to 24,000 miles before my boss got me new. Regular maintenance and she’s eat gravel at 52 mph, never skipped a beat. Lot of start and stop work

OP
DenimChicken
Let me know we got one local rancher interested but he hasn’t brought a check. Roads are good now if you want to adventure
I can let you know now that I'm not driving to central Montana to buy it. If it was local I'd be interested.

I sold a house for a buddy, he called me and asked if I wanted his Polaris 500 4x4 - so I took it. A week later his sister called and asked if my wife could use her Polaris 330 4x4 with under 100 miles … so we took that also and I ended up buying my friends custom trailer for $1500 - bags, helmet, scabbards, ramps included - it’s good to have great friends .

Ucsdryder

WKR
Pricing is “crazy” in Utah too. It’s pretty much everything it seems like. Pickups, quads, side by sides, sleds, doesn’t matter. Used is 15% less than new. I am in the market for a newer pickup and it’s generally $5-8000 more just to get a new one than one with 80,000 or less miles on it.

Right now the best bet seems to have cash on hand and be ready to jump when a good deal (for the times) pop up. We have been hearing it’s going to crash for four years…
Used prices are in a free fall. Just give it 90 days.

LVaughn

FNG
Give it a few months, I have a feeling there will be yard sales like never before.
I've thought that for a few years, still hoping.
Agree. But prices on the used market have been trending down for some time now. Covid money and cash out refi/ helocs are what pumped the market and they are ancient history at this point
Holding cash, still waiting

If its quality and desirable, they bring stupid money, if its got miles and is over the hill, its still stupid money, just less of it.
I keep seeing the round of 2 year old machines people bought with long term financing and put 5k-7k Miles on popping up, pretty much on the edge of being shot and they still want 75-80% of what they paid, but that's probably a reflection of what they still owe.
I'm glad to have everything I need, I see it being like the housing market, still plenty of people on the side lines to snap up anything that's not ridiculous.

OP
DenimChicken
They're usually cheaper in Oregon. Search Portland area.
I did notice they were a little cheaper in that area. Might have to dedicate a weekend and head down with trailer and cash in pocket. Certainly want to line a few of them up first though, I don't want to drive 3 hours to look at one and find out it's beat.

tdhanses

WKR
Used prices are in a free fall. Just give it 90 days.
They won’t fall much when most msrp’s increased 25% the last 2 years. I don’t think we’ll see drops like we did in 2008 that everyone seems to compare to, also dealer fees have gotten crazy on new units which increases used values.