CPW to relocate Copper Creek wolf pack

WTFJohn

WKR
Little confused...here when we kill yotes they lay where they die don't even go look at them or nothing. Most of the time it is at longer distances..are hunters in colorado going over and checking the kill out taking pics etc. or am I missing something...if you never go over and check it you don't know what it is...is the state tracking them and then going to pull slugs and run ballistics etc? Just trying to understand how they could ever say who killed one.

11 of the wolves in the state have GPS collars, and the state is managing them under 10(j) of the Endangered Species Act. Killing one (outside of a handful of situations) will net you a felony charge, so it is really worth your time to verify your target (also it's one of the rules of firearms safety).

yfarm

WKR
Search for Treves research papers, his two methods he speaks of for non lethal management are experienced range riders and lights on or adjacent to the herd animals with lots of verbiage about the accuracy and reproducibility of the results.

intunegp

WKR
So, just as a summary thus-far...they plan to capture some, not all, of the reintroduced wolves. Their plan does not allow them to drop them elsewhere in the state and they doubt any other states would take them. Colorado Sun has stated that the Copper Creek pack includes two adults and at least three pups but they originally released ten. So does that mean the Colorado Wolf & Wildlife center is the only option? And the other six or seven (one died...was that one of the original ten?) are going to be left alone for now/are considered a different pack?

Little confused...here when we kill yotes they lay where they die don't even go look at them or nothing. Most of the time it is at longer distances..are hunters in colorado going over and checking the kill out taking pics etc. or am I missing something...if you never go over and check it you don't know what it is...is the state tracking them and then going to pull slugs and run ballistics etc? Just trying to understand how they could ever say who killed one.
check out this article, shows how Idaho fish and game got a warrant and used cellular data to find who was in area. Granted these guys confessed right away, but if a game agency goes as far to get a warrant for cellular data running ballistics on a dead wolf wouldn’t be out of the question. And I think most of the wolves that were released have tracking collars.

The capture probably has more to do with being able to radio collar the pups, CPW's last concern is to accommodate the ranchers.
CPW also denied one of the rancher's request for lethal removal who had multiple livestock depredation claims. I assume they are worried the rancher is going to start killing these wolves, given that catching a wolf in the act of livestock depredation, was a justifiable use of lethal force in CPW's management plan.

It was an interesting point that CPW listed in their management plan "The translocation of depredating wolves to a different part of the state will not be considered, as this is viewed as translocating the problem along with the wolves."

I would think this would open CPW to a lawsuit from ranchers in the new relocation area if they actually carry it out.

tdhanses

WKR
In CO that wouldn’t shock me if the state did exactly that, all the wolves are highly tracked and monitored there.

NB7

WKR
check out this article, shows how Idaho fish and game got a warrant and used cellular data to find who was in area. Granted these guys confessed right away, but if a game agency goes as far to get a warrant for cellular data running ballistics on a dead wolf wouldn’t be out of the question. And I think most of the wolves that were released have tracking collars.

Yeah but lately the courts have been putting the kibosh on these kinds of warrants. In addition to that, Google and others are refusing to honor these requests and even warrants sometimes. This article was 2021 and things have definitely changed since then. Seems to be back and forth at best

Yeah but lately the courts have been putting the kibosh on these kinds of warrants. In addition to that, Google and others are refusing to honor these requests and even warrants sometimes. This article was 2021 and things have definitely changed since then. Seems to be back and forth at best
That’s good to hear that courts are holding back on these warrants. I know some companies have pushed back hopefully that continues.

Atoka Man

FNG
I have suggested in other areas to relocate them to the area where most people voted for reintroduction. Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuges seems viable. They have plenty of mule deer and other game, along with the local pets that they could scrounge out at living down there. Then all the people of the Denver metro area wouldn't have to travel all the way up into the mountains t have a possible encounter.

intunegp

WKR
Well now that hunting season is coming around, 13 wolves should be no problem with the number of keyboard vigilantes that are going to pile them up.