CPW Staff changed it's recommendation, they now support archery OTC for residents

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if this is legit? Couldn’t find anything to back it up yet. FB post claiming non res archery otc is officially gone

Attachments

• IMG_8049.png
    IMG_8049.png
    334.9 KB · Views: 82

Poser

WKR
Just because NR have to apply for OTC in the draw now doesn't mean there won't be 15,000 tags available in the draw. Available for 2nd/3rd/4th/leftover most likely
For whatever reason, this point is completely lost on quite a number of hunters. There's just thousands of hunters that don't know anyway to hunt if its not OTC -they simply will not apply during the draw.

For whatever reason, this point is completely lost on quite a number of hunters. There's just thousands of hunters that don't know anyway to hunt if its not OTC -they simply will not apply during the draw.

more lost on residents. if a NR can draw a units as third choice why would a resident waist their time there…….

I think your being a little optimistic anytime they limit something the demand goes up. Hopefully they go to any tag burns points
If the demand goes up then that sucks to suck for NR. I'm hoping the actual tag allocation they decide on is way less than 15,000.

The memo in the OP said in 2023 there was 27,000 OTC archery licenses sold with 53% NR. So 14,310 NR and 12,690 RES. That's obsurd. Just shows that residents gave up hunting OTC archery. Can't blame them as I haven't had an OTC archery tag in my pocket since 2018.

Something had to give

Hnthrdr

WKR
If the demand goes up then that sucks to suck for NR. I'm hoping the actual tag allocation they decide on is way less than 15,000.

The memo in the OP said in 2023 there was 27,000 OTC archery licenses sold with 53% NR. So 14,310 NR and 12,690 RES. That's obsurd. Just shows that residents gave up hunting OTC archery. Can't blame them as I haven't had an OTC archery tag in my pocket since 2018.

Something had to give
Well they cut the units you could hunt in half so, it forced 4x the people into a fraction of the units, the overcrowding was pretty predictable. What they should do is open up all units back to 2015 that were OTC back to otc, spread all the pressure from resident hunters out

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider

Something had to give

They had a graph showing change in revenue in regards to various changes in tag allocation. They showed 0% (actually increased revenue) 10%, 25%, and 50%. I think the 50% was shown as an extreme. They’ve said many times they won’t reduce the tag allocation to start, and likely won’t make major changes for quite a while

Archer86

WKR

Something had to give
I agree 100 percent they should have limited nr hunters 5 years ago. I was just pointing out it's now a limited hunt. With the demand to hunt elk in very short time there won't be tags going 2nd choice. I am hoping for colorado residents they cap it at much less then 15k also and that the go to limited entry for all nr tags in colorado eventually.

Anyone know if this is legit? Couldn’t find anything to back it up yet. FB post claiming non res archery otc is officially gone

If you read the link that started this thread, it clearly said (middle of page 3, Starting with "In June") they were going to limit R and NR OTC tags or just NR OTC tags. Two options, one was gonna happen. Not if they were maybe going to do it, just what form it would take. NR OTC was going away any way the cookie crumbled.

And yes, massive winter kill 2022/2023. Tags are already cut back to nothing in the NW part of the state. The folks worried about the economy there haven't been paying attention apparently. The hunters weren't coming whether they want to or not regardless of this passing.

Last edited:

UncleBone

WKR
Im just happy I can draw a ML tag in many of the (previous) OTC units and know exactly how many people I will have to compete with now. Maybe if Colorado had mandatory reporting, that would have been easier to begin with.

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t keep a good man down. OTC or Draw, I’m going to CO and will be hunting elk every year. As a NR, I have given more advice to Front Range folks than other NR’s. I think the Res Hunters with experience are barking up the wrong tree with this OTC business. Either way good hunters are going to continue to kill elk and others won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had a graph showing change in revenue in regards to various changes in tag allocation. They showed 0% (actually increased revenue) 10%, 25%, and 50%. I think the 50% was shown as an extreme. They’ve said many times they won’t reduce the tag allocation to start, and likely won’t make major changes for quite a while
Here’s that OTC archery graph

IMG_6464.png

Everyone - pour out some of your beer for the poor victimized NR that choose to live in an elkless shitbox midwest state.

I find it HILARIOUS how ignorant some of you NR are. 25 years ago not a one of you complaining would have figured it out without the internet holding your hand, online apps, and copious mapping.

I cant wait to write my reps and ask for less NR hunters and increased R tag prices. The sniveling and whining on every forum, social media, and anything else is certainly enjoyable + lack of crowding would pay huge dividends.

Last edited: