CPW Staff changed it's recommendation, they now support archery OTC for residents

Everyone - pour out some of your beer for the poor morons that choose to live in an elkless shitbox midwest state.

I find it HILARIOUS how ignorant some of you NR are. 25 years ago not a one of you complaining would have figured it out without the internet holding your hand, online apps, and copious mapping.

I cant wait to write my reps and ask for less NR hunters and increased R tag prices. The sniveling and whining on every forum, social media, and anything else is certainly enjoyable + lack of crowding would pay huge dividends.
Agree almost 100% (a bit of tongue in cheek here...). Midwest states aren't necessarily the type of boxes described, but they do have hunting for their residents in case no one is paying attention, And opportunities for multiple kills over bait in many of them each year to fill the freezer vs. Co residents that get one deer and/or elk a year and all done with shanks mare so to speak.

Resident here, and this will be my 54th year of bowhunting big game in CO. I remember how it was before the internet, YouTube, and spot-burning services like Huntin' Fool and others made it so easy to hunt Colorado. Running into a NR camp was sort of a novelty, and nobody thought about PPs. Trailheads had a couple trucks parked there, almost all with CO plates. Those days are gone, and looks like there may be a new game to play now. Figure it out.

Colorado will still offer the MOST generous NR elk hunting opportunity in the country. Anyone can move here if they want resident hunting opportunities. Plenty of jobs. Or you can choose to wait years and years and spend a lot more money to hunt any of the other western states.

Why aren't the complainers coming down hard on WY, for instance?. Only 16% of tags go to NRs, and takes multiple PPs to even draw the $2000 special. And that's still a good opportunity compared to AZ, NM, etc..
So what’s your opinion on the dept’s strategy? Is it all about the money? Or what’s best for the herds? Or more pressure than they could bear from outspoken residents perhaps? (And rightly so I might add) ain’t no way it’s all of the above.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said. I’ve no skin in the game but I know this. No state government is gonna throw away tens of millions of dollars of direct income and tens of millions more in peripheral capital injection via local taxes, businesses and other cash influx from NR hunters. Just not happening. How they make that money back will be the question should NR OTC go away. And that’s a dangerous one to boot.

The DOW and now CPW have been riding the OTC cash cow for too long and it was finally coming to a head. There should never be more NR with hunting licenses than RES and that happened in 2023 OTC Archery.

The last OTC Elk license I bought was in 2018. If I cannot get a license for a fully limited draw unit I simply don't hunt elk anymore.

A resident elk license in Arizona when you finally draw a tag costs $148. I would gladly pay $150 for a Colorado "resident adult" elk tag. Youth tags should continue to be inexpensive.

I also agree with @Jaquomo when he says move to Colorado. We need more resident hunters to fight the anti agenda and more RED voters in this state.

Agree almost 100% (a bit of tongue in cheek here...). Midwest states aren't necessarily the type of boxes described, but they do have hunting for their residents in case no one is paying attention, And opportunities for multiple kills over bait in many of them each year to fill the freezer vs. Co residents that get one deer and/or elk a year and all done with shanks mare so to speak.
Right - and for what minnesota charges a NR to shoot a whitetail without any decent public access anywhere - every western state is a bargain.

Every NR ive ever met in the field - i have given tips and tried to help - largely cause i understand it was a larger investment of time and money for them than myself. Gave a guy pins where 2 archery bulls were hanging out when i was packing up camp.

Every NR comment ive ever read online is a whiney self absorbed idiot trying to do mental gymnastics whining about tags.

I'll let the @MallardSX2 guy know how it works out when i push my representation to raise R prices and cut the NR entitled overgrown children out entirely.

Like I said. I’ve no skin in the game but I know this. No state government is gonna throw away tens of millions of dollars of direct income and tens of millions more in peripheral capital injection via local taxes, businesses and other cash influx from NR hunters. Just not happening. How they make that money back will be the question should NR OTC go away. And that’s a dangerous one to boot.
just charge more to sell less licences. theres a never ending supply of dipshit NR demand. I think these guys applying to 5 states can afford it or afford to hunt less.

So what’s your opinion on the dept’s strategy? Is it all about the money? Or what’s best for the herds? Or more pressure than they could bear from outspoken residents perhaps? (And rightly so I might add) ain’t no way it’s all of the above.
This has nothing to do with “what’s best for the herds.” It’s all about hunters being sick of overcrowding. Yes, the final recommendation would have been to drop OTC archery for everyone but the residents very loudly opposed that. NR otc rifle is next but they want to give it a few years and see what happens with the NRs (and revenue).

Mcribs

Lil-Rokslider
I’m amazed at how simple supply demand goes unnoticed in the convo from CPW. Charge more and reduce tags. Revenue stays same, quality goes up.

How is CPW gonna fill the rev gap, is an easy answer. NRs can hunt deer at home for cheap. #huntlocal

Will you be able to afford the tag if they do that? lol
Sure can - im not so poor that I have to live in the midwest.

I want to ensure you cant afford a tag - how much would that take?

What dumpy state do you live in? Are you lobbying for NR fisherman to pay the same fee as you? or? How about the NR people who are dumb enough to buy a mostly useless whitetail tag?

I literally cant wait to make changes to tag prices and allocations. I used to be against outfitters hogging up NR tags - im to the point id like as many as possible going to it so you (put upon NR) either stay on private land or stay home.

Last edited:

Pro953

WKR

I think it’s pretty clear based on the fact that they wanted to look at archery first as it was a stated concern as to how a change to archery and rifle could impact the budget. From a business management perspective I 100% understand that decision, but it blows the hole in anyone’s pipe dream that every decision is made for what is best for the wildlife or the hunter. Organizations are like organisms themself and they will make decisions based on what is in the best interests for the organization first. It’s natural behavior yes, but that does not mean I have to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
What dumpy state do you live in? Are you lobbying for NR fisherman to pay the same fee as you? or? How about the NR people who are dumb enough to buy a mostly useless whitetail tag?

I literally cant wait to make changes to tag prices and allocations. I used to be against outfitters hogging up NR tags - im to the point id like as many as possible going to it so you dolts either stay on private land or stay home.

Everyone - pour out some of your beer for the poor morons that choose to live in an elkless shitbox midwest state.

I find it HILARIOUS how ignorant some of you NR are. 25 years ago not a one of you complaining would have figured it out without the internet holding your hand, online apps, and copious mapping.

I cant wait to write my reps and ask for less NR hunters and increased R tag prices. The sniveling and whining on every forum, social media, and anything else is certainly enjoyable + lack of crowding would pay huge dividends.
If you want to last much longer around here than 17 posts, I would suggest you reconsider all the name calling your doing on the forum

Poser

WKR
I think it’s pretty clear based on the fact that they wanted to look at archery first as it was a stated concern as to how a change to archery and rifle could impact the budget. From a business management perspective I 100% understand that decision, but it blows the hole in anyone’s pipe dream that every decision is made for what is best for the wildlife or the hunter. Organizations are like organisms themself and they will make decisions based on what is in the best interests for the organization first. It’s natural behavior yes, but that does not mean I have to like it.

From what I have gathered, the archery experience has been the target of the bulk of the complaint feedback from hunters in recent years.

If you want to last much longer around here than 17 posts, I would suggest you reconsider all the name calling your doing on the forum
I made them nice now. They are clearly victims. I am blessed to not live in Iowa and America is an open prison where people are not free to weigh the options of where they live.

Wonder why they arent complaining to the dakotas, mn, or nebraska about their lack of NR elk hunt opportunities...?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I made them nice now. They are clearly victims. I am blessed to not live in Iowa and America is an open prison where people are not free to weigh the options of where they live.

Wonder why they arent complaining to the dakotas, mn, or nebraska about their lack of NR elk hunt opportunities...?
Told ya not to name call and then you did, yet again, smh

signed.... just another victim

Backyard

WKR
Sure can - im not so poor that I have to live in the midwest.

I want to ensure you cant afford a tag - how much would that take?

I literally cant wait to make changes to tag prices and allocations. I used to be against outfitters hogging up NR tags - im to the point id like as many as possible going to it so you (put upon NR) either stay on private land or stay home.

Wow. Don’t hold back. Tell us how you really feel there buddy. Use any kind of language you can think of too! Feel free!

From the looks of the final report they didn't quite change the rifle seasons back to the old date structure.

They moved 1st season later in October and changed the opening day to Wednesday versus Saturday. So 1st season is still 5 days but runs Wednesday-Sunday. This provides a 5 day break versus the 10 day break of current and the 2 day break of old. 2nd season opens on Saturday and is 9 day season. Then they made 3rd season 9 days long again versus 7 days. Then a 2 day break before 4th season starts and runs for 5 days.

In case that doesn't make sense

2025-2029 Colorado Rifle seasons
1st season 5 days long Wed-Sun
5 day break
2nd season 9 days long Sat-Sun
5 day break
3rd season 9 days long Sat-Sun
2 day break
4th season 5 days long Wed-Sun

So the dates still run late into November.

Phaseolus

WKR
One factor that really pleases me as a resident is that I can move to several different units which surround me instead of being stuck in just one or two.

Poser

WKR
From the looks of the final report they didn't quite change the rifle seasons back to the old date structure.

They moved 1st season later in October and changed the opening day to Wednesday versus Saturday. So 1st season is still 5 days but runs Wednesday-Sunday. This provides a 5 day break versus the 10 day break of current and the 2 day break of old. 2nd season opens on Saturday and is 9 day season. Then they made 3rd season 9 days long again versus 7 days. Then a 2 day break before 4th season starts and runs for 5 days.

In case that doesn't make sense

2025-2029 Colorado Rifle seasons
1st season 5 days long Wed-Sun
5 day break
2nd season 9 days long Sat-Sun
5 day break
3rd season 9 days long Sat-Sun
2 day break
4th season 5 days long Wed-Sun

So the dates still run late into November.
So, in 2025, 1st rifle will be 10/15/25 through 10/19/25?