CPW Staff changed it's recommendation, they now support archery OTC for residents

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Resident here, and this will be my 54th year of bowhunting big game in CO. I remember how it was before the internet, YouTube, and spot-burning services like Huntin' Fool and others made it so easy to hunt Colorado. Running into a NR camp was sort of a novelty, and nobody thought about PPs. Trailheads had a couple trucks parked there, almost all with CO plates. Those days are gone, and looks like there may be a new game to play now. Figure it out.

Colorado will still offer the MOST generous NR elk hunting opportunity in the country. Anyone can move here if they want resident hunting opportunities. Plenty of jobs. Or you can choose to wait years and years and spend a lot more money to hunt any of the other western states.

Why aren't the complainers coming down hard on WY, for instance?. Only 16% of tags go to NRs, and takes multiple PPs to even draw the $2000 special. And that's still a good opportunity compared to AZ, NM, etc..
Crazy , I’m a resident too & last fall I ran into so many NR hunters 6 miles deep in the backcountry that I thought I was part of a circus bro!! 🤡

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
Crazy , I’m a resident too & last fall I ran into so many NR hunters 6 miles deep in the backcountry that I thought I was part of a circus bro!! 🤡
An acquaintance from PA and his buddies picked a wilderness area I'm very familiar with. I told them to expect lots of company, but they believed they wouldn't see much pressure "that far back" (6 miles). They didn't see or hear an elk all week, only lots of human bugles, but had a number of other hunters hiking past their camp almost daily, which was in a huge meadow that housed an outfitter camp and four other DIY camps around it. He listed off all the different states represented, and only two other groups were from Colorado if I remember right.

Looks like a great area when scouting from afar. I would prpbably hunt there too if I didn't know how things are at ground-level on September 2. Used to be a hell of a drainage before the onslaught.

I hunt other states as a NR, and I'm sure those resident hunters aren't crazy to see my CO plates. Difference is, nonresidents aren't 50/50 in proportion, and the hunting pressure, and quality of the experience, is much better. We can't hunt those states every year as NRs, though.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Has an of the Res noticed the 85k+- less people hunting elk since 05?
Nope, check the archery increase… that’s what we are talking about. Also the amount of OTC units has been halved or so. It’s forced an ever growing number of OTC archery hunters on less and less ground. This is an expected result. From what I have seen otc rifle has lost about 20k tags but those have been more than made up by the archery crowd

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lol you can't be serious? Wyoming holds the top spot for complaints from NR hunters.
You definitely do until Co does the smallest of changes to the have your cake and eat it too crowd… then they all pile on us! Even though Co sells more elk tags than the rest of the west combined… it gets a little silly. Come on I will advocate that everyone should have opportunities in their home state every year! But entitlements to hunt any state they want every year… nah that is silly

Nope, check the archery increase… that’s what we are talking about. Also the amount of OTC units has been halved or so. It’s forced an ever growing number of OTC archery hunters on less and less ground. This is an expected result. From what I have seen otc rifle has lost about 20k tags but those have been more than made up by the archery crowd

Total archery is only 40k+- tags, sure cut it in half…..

Let’s Look at the total tag numbers for the last two unit clusters that have switched to draw. Are those units 2nd choice or 3rd choice and how many left overs have they averaged since going draw?

move it draw, you will still be able to draw third choice or get left over.

Internet age has a massive negative effect on Colorado hunting and in general with tourons showing up because an influencer puts up an video of themselves in the woods at some out of the way place, and every one shows up. Witness every National Park in Colorado having a reservation system now, and it's not because of Colorado residents.

Take for example a forum has many thousands of members where the MANY have no idea how to pull it off and are using the info gleaned to skip the process of doing it one's self. Up until 25 years ago, that was part of the adventure. Now it's hit the easy button, "I don't have time off to put boots on the ground and scout 1,000 miles from home". Well, maybe a home state would be more appropriate. Other states besides the west have hunting...

As well, witness a thread (or more) a day in this forum about "where to go", "don't want to know where to go, but when's the best time to go", "what rifle do I build for my first trip to Colorado (or insert another western state), I need 800 yard capability", et al.

Very good folks make those posts, but are forcing the hand of the CPW with every thread and creating their own downfall for opportunity.

Good on my home state for what they are doing as a start. If it wasn't for the Information Age, it wouldn't need doing, so reap what is sown and don't complain.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Has an of the Res noticed the 85k+- less people hunting elk since 05?
I'm an NR, but I have hunted 2nd season each season since 2002. I see more people in general. At least it seems that way. The majority of people ibrun into and actually have time to chat with them, they are fairly new to the entire experience of going beyond the distances generally gone during day hunts.

I suspect that with the advance in mapping/navigation technology like Google Earth and OnX, people have more tools to go further in. There also is much more info on just how to do everything related to Western hunting. The barrier to entry has changed, which seems like there would be more people in general, but it seems they have shifted from truck camping and day hunts to backcountry hunts.

For the most part, I don't worry about it. Usually, I see more people the first 3-4 days and then no one. I hunt with horses, so we have the advantage of either riding past where they start hunting and we don't worry where we kill ananimal because of our tools available for pack out.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I'm an NR, but I have hunted 2nd season each season since 2002. I see more people in general. At least it seems that way. The majority of people ibrun into and actually have time to chat with them, they are fairly new to the entire experience of going beyond the distances generally gone during day hunts.

I suspect that with the advance in mapping/navigation technology like Google Earth and OnX, people have more tools to go further in. There also is much more info on just how to do everything related to Western hunting. The barrier to entry has changed, which seems like there would be more people in general, but it seems they have shifted from truck camping and day hunts to backcountry hunts.

For the most part, I don't worry about it. Usually, I see more people the first 3-4 days and then no one. I hunt with horses, so we have the advantage of either riding past where they start hunting and we don't worry where we kill ananimal because of our tools available for pack out.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

rifle OTC tags sales are down from 70k+- in 2004 to 55k+- in 2023.

OTC archery tags sales are going down as is “overall” Archery tags are also going down, but the “overall” segment is at a much slower rate. Question should be why? The units that have gone draw for archery in last decade are still 2nd and 3rd choice draw units with many having left over tags,

Point is this A) draw does nothing in its self to limit #’s, only # of tags will. B) if you really want people spread out more don’t do unit clusters, do sole units.

So what Res are really asking for isn’t just a draw for NR it’s “dramatic” tag cuts for NR. As the draw itself isnt limiting, if you have left overs

There is already been a drastic fall off of licenses in CO, the tags sales data doesn’t lie.

I’m a former resident, still a land owner and only missed two season since 96, 100% archery for elk, but typically hunt deer with rifle. There are years I think I see more hunters, but in hindsight it’s never a significant number from year to year. Data doesn’t lie.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Total archery is only 40k+- tags, sure cut it in half…..

Let’s Look at the total tag numbers for the last two unit clusters that have switched to draw. Are those units 2nd choice or 3rd choice and how many left overs have they averaged since going draw?

move it draw, you will still be able to draw third choice or get left over.
Sounds like with the soft cap on 1-4 choices it’s a great place for NR to go hunt then… don’t be too vocal about those opportunities or they will dry up though like all opportunities out west… I think we are assuming a lot and OTC very well may go away for R in the future, but if/when it happens I know R will press for 1-4 choice hard cap enforcement and they will want 80/20 or 90/10 split, I make no apologies for wanting more opportunities in my home state and would fault nobody who wants the same in theirs

Hnthrdr

WKR
Internet age has a massive negative effect on Colorado hunting and in general with tourons showing up because an influencer put up an video of themselves in the woods at some out of the way place, and every one shows up. Witness every National Park in Colorado having a reservation system now, and it's not because of Colorado residents.

Take for example a forum has many thousands of members where the MANY have no idea how to pull it off and are using the info gleaned to skip the process of doing it one's self. Up until 25 years ago, that was part of the adventure. Now it's hit the easy button, "I don't have time off to put boots on the ground and scout 1,000 miles from home". Well, maybe a home state would be more appropriate. Other states besides the west have hunting...

As well, witness a thread (or more) a day in this forum about "where to go", "don't want to know where to go, but when's the best time to go", "what rifle do I build for my first trip to Colorado (or insert another western state), I need 800 yard capability", et al.

Very good folks make those posts, but are forcing the hand of the CPW with every thread and creating their own downfall for opportunity.

Good on my home state for what they are doing as a start. If it wasn't for the Information Age, it wouldn't need doing, so reap what is sown and don't complain.
People are really clueless about how crowded Co gets… look up the numbers and it will blow your mind. Not only has the population doubled since I was born, and it one of the most active populations in the lower 48, Co receives 87 million tourons a year…. Check Wyoming and Montana they might combine for 5 million… hard to understand unless you live here

KsRancher

WKR
You definitely do until Co does the smallest of changes to the have your cake and eat it too crowd… then they all pile on us! Even though Co sells more elk tags than the rest of the west combined… it gets a little silly. Come on I will advocate that everyone should have opportunities in their home state every year! But entitlements to hunt any state they want every year… nah that is silly
Smallest of changes???????

Taking away OTC archery and going from 65/35 to 75/25 on the lower pt LE unit. Just the 65/35 to 75/25 potentially (if R put in enough 1st choice) took away 28.5% of our tags. I bet if you took a 28.5% pay cut you wouldn't call it the "smallest of changes"

Edit. 28.5% of tags in those LE units. Not total tags

Last edited:
Sounds like with the soft cap on 1-4 choices it’s a great place for NR to go hunt then… don’t be too vocal about those opportunities or they will dry up though like all opportunities out west… I think we are assuming a lot and OTC very well may go away for R in the future, but if/when it happens I know R will press for 1-4 choice hard cap enforcement and they will want 80/20 or 90/10 split, I make no apologies for wanting more opportunities in my home state and would fault nobody who wants the same in theirs
it’s not rock science. CO is probably the most documented state out there

Low PP or OTC units are typically high tags numbers because they have lower success, but decent populations, which means tougher terrain.

Hnthrdr

WKR
it’s not rock science. CO is probably the most documented state out there

Low PP or OTC units are typically high tags numbers because they have lower success, but decent populations, which means tougher terrain.
Agreed I’m not a geologist, but sounds about right. Those tags should be more desired now with less pressure though

Hnthrdr

WKR
Smallest of changes???????

Taking away OTC archery and going from 65/35 to 75/25 on the lower pt LE unit. Just the 65/35 to 75/25 potentially (if R put in enough 1st choice) took away 28.5% of our tags. I bet if you took a 28.5% pay cut you wouldn't call it the "smallest of changes"

Edit. 28.5% of tags in those LE units. Not total tags
Not great at math… but that 10% change… would result in a… 10% change… not sure where the 28.5 is coming from? Also, it’s usually more like 60/40 when you account for NR paying for LO tags, and often the 75/25 isn’t met so NR will can draw more than the 25 percen

KsRancher

WKR
Not great at math… but that 10% change… would result in a… 10% change… not sure where the 28.5 is coming from? Also, it’s usually more like 60/40 when you account for NR paying for LO tags, and often the 75/25 isn’t met so NR will can draw more than the 25 percen
Before you criticize someone about their math you might ought to know how math works first

KsRancher

WKR
Actually it's 28.57142857%. So I was off a little bit. My apologies

Jethro

WKR
Not great at math… but that 10% change… would result in a… 10% change… not sure where the 28.6 is coming from? Also, it’s usually more like 60/40 when you account for NR paying for LO tags, and often the 75/25 isn’t met so NR will can draw more than the 25 percen
Because the 10% quota reduction is off the total quota, it reduces the number of actual NR tags by 28.6%. For every 100 quota, NR previously got 35, now we get 25. 10 less tags from 35 is 28.6% reduction.

I'm not complaining, only explaining.