Convince me Crispi makes a top quality boot ...

Lots of discussion in this thread about mid-tier boots….Crispi, Zamberlan, Lowa, Asolo, Schnees, Meindl, etc. What a waste of time. Just get Salewa boots and move on.

Just ordered a pair of Altitude GTX's to try out. We will see. I have used Keen and Salomon lately and they were decent boots until they weren't. The Altitudes look similar to the Salomon's and they are light, which is what I prefer over longevity. Good news is Scheels does free returns. Unfortunately in the Tulsa area there are no good retailers for good boots (although Scheels is in the process of building a store here) so mail order boots are my only choice at this point.

Lots of discussion in this thread about mid-tier boots….Crispi, Zamberlan, Lowa, Asolo, Schnees, Meindl, etc. What a waste of time. Just get Salewa boots and move on.
Honestly don't see anything special about these. All the options I see on their site are synthetic, Vibram sole, goretex, seems pretty standard in the $300-400 range. You listed a bunch of great boots above though.

2-Stix

WKR
I have Crispi Lapponas, Nevadas and Wildrock 400g.

I never got blisters until I ran Crispis. But I love the boots so I just put on a bandaid with Luko tape over it on my heal every 2-3 days during the hunt and I have no issues.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
My crispis lasted one season. My kenetreks are still going strong after 4 years. I also had a pair of lowa tibet gtx's that lasted longer than crispis. Plus, both lowa and kene are serviceable.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been a fan of my crispis since my review in 2016. Waterproof 🤙, comfort 🤙, Support 🤙, Stability 🤙, durability Avg. They simply fit my feet great and have since bought 3 further pairs. Boots are very individual and if you wear them hard you cannot expect them to last more than a few years.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
What do you mean by serviceable? Able to be resoled?
Yeah. Problem with Lowas resoling is you have to send them over the Germany and times can be lengthy. They did a great job and pretty much received a new boot without the break in. Even the leather that was cut and gouged in areas was fixed

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing to consider with outsole wear- if your outsoles never wear out, there is a very strong chance they don't grip rock for shit. Stickier outsoles will definitely wear faster than less sticky ones; this is true in boots as it is in trail runners.

Personally, a significant portion of my time hunting is spent in rock- my preference is a sticky outsole :)

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to consider with outsole wear- if your outsoles never wear out, there is a very strong chance they don't grip rock for shit. Stickier outsoles will definitely wear faster than less sticky ones; this is true in boots as it is in trail runners.

Personally, a significant portion of my time hunting is spent in rock- my preference is a sticky outsole :)
I did notice between the crispi and the lowa, the crispi bit better. Those lowas in snow or ice covered rocks were a puckering experience.

Benjblt

WKR

Tread design has something to do with this. The old Danner bob soles had fantastic traction.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ it does, but the old bob soles usually used a very soft compound that helped with grip on rocks

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a pair of Crispis Nevadas GTX off Black Ovis. 20% off with free shipping.

Had a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX. I can’t believe I paid so much money to have a pair of boots hurt my feet that much. I can wear them for a day maybe two. Then I need to put on a different pair of boots because my feet hurt so bad. I bought them in 2019. When I first got them I thought I needed to break them in. So I wore them every where, even did multiple AT sections with them. Still hurt my feet. That was 4 years ago. I wear them for day hunting and hiking trips. I am trying to kill the boots and wear them out. I just can’t. They won’t die. Unbelievably durable.

I also want to give a shout out to the salomon gtx 4d. They are not the most durable. But if your on a budget you can’t beat them. They do last a long time if you only wear them to hike and hunt. Also, very comfortable for my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy to report I'm starting to break in a new pair of Briksdals', 4 miles on rocky single track trail w/ close to 800' of gain and a 35# pack on- not even a hot spot :D

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I Can I ask what makes the Salewa better? I own a pair, love them, but I love my others also.