Convince me Crispi makes a top quality boot ...

Seth

WKR
I’ve hiked in many brands over the past 25+ seasons, including Lowa, Asolo, and Scarpa. My Crispi Colorados fit well and are on their fourth year. I’ve chased bighorns and aoudad, deer and elk in them in a variety of terrain and never been disappointed.

My summits paired with a super feet insole are the most comfortable boot I've owned but one of them did leak on me after a month or so of use. I've never put any treatments on them though

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are all made in Italy, I always liked them as much as the Kennetrek, Lowa, Zamberlan, Schnees. Obviously different models so they're all a little different but I never had a problem.

StuckoYota99

Lil-Rokslider
How much of the deterioration of your crispi boot was attributed to lack of care? Do crispis break down faster then kenetrek for example if not properly cared for after use? Just curious.
My crispis cracked and I believe it's because i did not properly maintain the leather.

Ive burned through, lowa, keen, merrell, oboz, meindl boots all within 2 years (theyve lost waterproofing, delaminated, lost footbed support etc). The crispi nevada GTX have lasted 5 years and I just bought my second pair. I think the nubuck leather GTX style boots hold up significantly better than the boots with lighter synthetic materials that have seams all over. Also boot care is important, fire drying or throwing your boots on the shelf caked with mud particularly in the dry western climate will take years off a boot lifespan.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 buddies that bought Crispi's last year so I am interested to see how they have lasted. I could not possibly be happier with my Schnees Beartooths. I have 3 pair. First was bought in 2008 and has been on 11 elk hunting trips, 6 antelope trips, and countless pheasant, deer, duck, and turkey hunts in addition to a lot of just normal wear doing food plots, hiking, etc. I have no clue on miles, but it is probably 1,000 or more? The laces finally wore a hole in the tongue so they are no longer waterproof. But they were up until last fall. The other pair is from 2017. They have shared in some of the use, but do not have nearly as many miles. Probably 200-300? Still waterproof. The first pair is pretty well used up now with all of the dings and overall wear. The second pair has some wear as well, but nothing major. the third pair was new last summer and I haven't used them much. Maybe 50 miles with no issues.

There are better options but everyone’s foot is unique.

I had trouble with their warranty and customer service so I moved on quickly. It might be better now since that was 4 seasons ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pair of Nevada's. I liked them. Comfortable and good grip but just over a year old my toes got wet in both boots just walking in wet grass. Crispi wouldn't do anything with them due to being outside the year warranty but Gore-Tex did. sent them in and they said they were faulty and sent me a complete refund. I ordered a pair of Hanwags. May try another pair later but didnt want to risk having another pair leak that way.

Seeknelk

WKR
I love the fit of my Nevadas. I love that they ARENT as stiff as so many other boots. Everyone and their foot is different. I wish they had more minimalist styles

nobody

WKR
How much of the deterioration of your crispi boot was attributed to lack of care? Do crispis break down faster then kenetrek for example if not properly cared for after use? Just curious.
My crispis cracked and I believe it's because i did not properly maintain the leather.
Cracking isn't a boot issue, it's a leather maintenance issue.

My dad has a pair of no-name $40 leather hiking boots he bought at Big-5 sporting goods about 7 years ago, they still get used every year. He maintains them meticulously.

Contrast that with my boss, who wears Zamberlan's every day. He's had them for 18 months and the leather is so cracked it's basically perforated.

Just like with everything, maintenance is key. Doesn't matter how expensive something is, if you fail to maintain it, it'll fail you fast.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've really enjoyed my Wyomings. It's admittedly apples to oranges to some degree, but I prefer the Wyomings to my Tibets (hi-ankle). No experience outside of Crispi, Lowa, and Merrell.

GMiller

FNG
“With boots, fit is first, if they don't fit I don't care how good of a boot they are, they aren't going to work. My Thors fit me like they were special made for me. I had one other boot that fit like that, a long discontinued La Sportiva.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree that fit is the #1 criteria on boots. I have one brand/style work boot I found that’s best for me. Mine generally last a year or less and aren’t cheap, but the durability is a distant second when it comes to comfort.

The way I see it, you’ll get your money worth out of a comfortable pair of boots, even if they don’t last as long as others. But a pair that’s uncomfortable, I’ll never wear them enough to wear them out. So it’s all about what fits/feels best.

I have had Mendeil's, Kenetrek, Lowa's, and Zambies. I first bought the Crispi Idaho years ago before they were popular, I ended up wearing the sole's out after 4 hard years of hunting for elk, antelope and mule deer, I sent them in to the Utah company that is contracted out by Crispi and he re-soled and put a new rand on for $90. They have been the most comfortable boot by far and held up great, I'm on my 3 year of the re-soled boot and they are doing awesome. Last year I bought the Guide GTX 200 gram insulation for the colder Montana months and I loved that boot, I hunted in it from Nov. to FEB. and I think I might like it equally as well as the Idaho's.

They are definitely not a poorly built boot, it is all about a boot fitting your feet, just because it gives you blisters or is uncomfortable does not mean it is a not a great boot, it just means it doesn't work for your feet shape. I hated the Kenetrek boots I had and I put 120 miles on them before I called it quits, they we're built great and a good quality boot, they just did not work for me.

As far as boots falling apart, I think it's like anything else, you can get a lemon or a boot of any brand with some type of flaws from the manufacturer.

Good luck on your boot hunt.

I'm hunting 3rd season in Colorado and we have days where it's -15 below before sunrise. The Crispi Guide 200g have been good to me. I had some Danner's before and learned my lesson, they were awful. The guide GTX fits me perfectly, but that isn't the case for everyone. I'd try a few different options to see what fits your foot best.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Lowa, Asolo, Kenetrek, Schnee’s, Salomon, Crispi, and a few others. Crispis fit my foot the best out of all of them. I have had no issues with the two pairs of Crispis I have and I will be sticking with them in the future as long as nothing changes.

BCD

WKR
I have only had my first pair of Crispis for about 6 months and am still breaking them in (Wild Rocks). They are not nearly as comfortable or light as my Danners were but I was only getting about 2 years out of a pair of pronghorns. Hoping to at least double that with these.

4th_point

WKR
Never owned Crispi boots but the comments here and elsewhere about them not being durable scares me a bit about the brand.

I listened to the GoHunt guys say that they stopped selling the brand with orange trim due to durability issues. I took that to mean Crispi, so I asked a Crispi rep and he said that Crispi cancelled the contract with GoHunt due to unauthorized sales 🤷‍♂️

A friend bought Crispi and the rand started to separate midway during the second year. I thought that was messed up but he thought that was OK. The only time I've had the rand separate that bad was when I used incompatible leather treatment.

nobody

WKR
As an example of their durability, here's a picture of a pair that our General Manager wears at our masonry company. A pair of 3 year old 200G Insulated Guides, worn every day laying block, brick, stone, and pavers, day after day after day...

They could stand some waterproofing treatment and maybe a resole later this year, and he just changed to some new laces last week because the original ones broke. But other than that, no worse for wear. He's been so impressed with them and likes them so much that he bought a pair for every one of his superintendents and masons and hodtenders, so our entire crew for his division wears matching 200G Crispi Guides.

For being placed in a role that I'm sure Crispi never intended for them to fill, they've been phenomenal. His brother (our owner) wears a pair of Zamberlan Outfitters that he bought at about the same time and they look far worse than the Crispi's do. To be clear, I'm not crapping on the Zamb's, but when compared side by side the Crispi's have held up better.

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 55

BDRam16

WKR
Never owned Crispi boots but the comments here and elsewhere about them not being durable scares me a bit about the brand.

I listened to the GoHunt guys say that they stopped selling the brand with orange trim due to durability issues. I took that to mean Crispi, so I asked a Crispi rep and he said that Crispi cancelled the contract with GoHunt due to unauthorized sales 🤷‍♂️

A friend bought Crispi and the rand started to separate midway during the second year. I thought that was messed up but he thought that was OK. The only time I've had the rand separate that bad was when I used incompatible leather treatment.
Probably had more to do with the owner of BlackOvis owning the distribution rights to Crispi US. I met Kendal at TAC last year and he personally spent like 15-20 minutes getting me into the best fitting boot for me which ended up being the Thor II. It is hands down the most comfortable boot I’ve ever worn. I also ended up with a Briksdal but usually stick with my Thors.