Considering Switching to Full Synthetic Oil

7mm-08

WKR
4.7 in an '02 Tundra with 70K. We're decent friends with our mechanic and his wife, so I'm pretty sure he's not trying to be extractive when he said, "Oil's cheap, engines ain't." He's a man of few words.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I do full synthetic at no more than 5k intervals in all vehicles.
It's the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.

Doing filter-only every 3k or 4k would be something id consider to extend it further

*zap*

WKR
best full synthetic oil I can find and change it when it starts to look dirty. Use a white paper towel to check it. Generally no more than 4-5k.

I have a buddy that builds moto race engines for one of the big factory MX teams. They do durability testing on everything imaginable, oil included. He said that Shell Rotella blows everything out of the water as far as longevity and engine wear. They are a Maxima team and he says they dump all their Maxima and fill it up with Rotella for the races.

I run Rotella in everything I own with an engine. (Diesel truck, motocross bikes, boat, generator)

wapitibob

WKR
Do what you want but fluid changes are cheap and I need a rig to last.

2.JPG

This one turns 4 years old in a week. Oil every 3k till 21,000 then every 5k or less. Trans fluid changed 3 times, rear diff 3 times, transfer case and front diff changed twice.

IMG_0638.jpg

Backyard

WKR
You will see oil leaks where you didn’t before, going with full syn on an older vehicle with lots of miles. It has a different viscosity than regular oil. Been there, had it happen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a dodge dakota with 285,000 miles and I changed the oil in it exactly 20 times. Always ran full synthetic. Sold that truck to another guy and he drove it for years.
I replaced everything on that truck except for the engine. Lol

If you are an every day driver and you are changing full synthetic oil at frequencies less than 10,000 miles, you’re simply wasting your money.

Unless you’re towing heavy equipment regularly. I would change at every 4-6 if I was towing around a track machine daily.

Bugger

FNG
You will see oil leaks where you didn’t before, going with full syn on an older vehicle with lots of miles. It has a different viscosity than regular oil. Been there, had it happen before.
It has the same viscosity as the same rated conventional oil. The better detergents of the synthetic broke down sludge that was covering up holes that should have already been leaking.

Orlando

FNG
I like that vehicles start easier in the winter with full synthetic. If I am wasting money changing every 5,000 miles, then, well, I've wasted more money in worse ways. I like having a nice even number to track oil changes. kiss method.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I use Schaefer’s 9000 full synthetic in all my vehicles. People usually don’t mention to run a decent oil filter as well. I use a WIX or NAPA (made by WIX) filter on everything. 5000 mile intervals. I have done a black stone test at 5,000 miles and the report came back as the oil was still in great shape to go longer intervals on changes if I wanted but I’ve always just stuck to 5,000

My wife drives a 2008 4.7L Sequoia and I drive a 2008 5.7L Tundra. I’m getting tired of changing oil every 5000 miles with running the synthetic blend oil. I’ve thought about switching to the full synthetic stuff that says it can protect for 10,000+ miles, but have heard contrasting opinions in the older vehicles. I used it in her previous car which was a 2016 with no issues. What’s everyone else doing?
JEck, you don't mention how many miles you have on your vehicles. Amsoil synthetics is all I use. The Signature blend can go 25,000 miles between changes. At 12,500, change the oil filter and top off the oil. Good to go another 12,500. A quality filter is really important. Amsoil makes filters for most vehicles, or NAPA Platinum (designed for synthetic oil) for the filters that Amsoil doesn't offer. I have been using Amsoil since 1988 in every vehicle, lawn mower, and generator I own. I got my Son interested some years ago, and now he is a distributor. PM me for his dealer # which you might need when ordering online.
You can always change it sooner, but knowing you have the extra protection of a full synthetic can give you piece of mind.

Last edited: