Conservation Organization

Seed15

FNG
When it comes to groups like SCI, RMEF, NWTF, BHA, etc., what groups are you apart of and why? Looking at joining a few and curious what and why you've joined the ones you did.

I used to donate a ton to WSF, RMEF and MDF. I'm pretty much done with the donations. Residents want a bigger and bigger piece which is fine. Let the residents fund their wildlife then. I'll use the money saved to buy vouchers, hunt great private with easy to get tags, etc.

MattB

WKR
My wheaties were piss-free this morning, so here goes: RMEF and WSF. RMEF does good work and a very high % of donated $'s go to their cause. WSF because sheep are probably the most fragile of our big game in terms of being impacted by domestic livestock diseases and climate change. They seem to be pretty good at translating donations to projects as well.

OP
S

Seed15

FNG
You are a spammer arent you? What group are you in charge of recruiting for?
No. Just every time I turn around I've been hearing more and more about these groups. Feel like I should help in one way or another but just want to make sure if I'm supporting a group I don't support the wrong one.

Phaseolus

WKR
RMEF and BHA. BHA because they are very active in Western Colorado working on guzzler projects and other projects that I can volunteer and help with. RMEF is not active in on the ground projects in Western Colorado but does some good on a larger scale.

ODB

WKR
None of my conservation-specific money goes to American orgs. They are far too fat for my taste. Any money I spend goes to very small, very lean orgs in Africa.

When I learned that I could review each org's annual report, I sent in questions to each of the two national organizations I was part of to ask questions about why a portion of my donation was going to a few places not aligned with their mission statement and neither responded. Let my memberships expire with all the national orgs. I only hold memberships with a couple local organizations now (that are not subparts of national organizations).

I do like what I see with Sportsman's Alliance. I've been active with a few of the call to action items they've had but other than that I haven't been able to do a deep dive. It seems they really have it together.

KineKilla

WKR
I am an RMEF life member and local committee member. We do as much good on the ground as we can. At least one work project every year, sometimes several.

Last year our funds helped purchase and secure 8,000 local acres that will now be publicly accessible forever.

Utah is not the #1 state but we often come in 3rd.

I agree that I would like to see less mailers from them. I saw somewhere numbers that showed how much money was raised via mailers so I understand why they do it. It works.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
None anymore. I think you get better bang for the buck buying tags, licenses etc and funding the state agencies

Marble

WKR
I'm a committe member for NWTF. I do not know all of the details for our projects. But I do know we have the best apprentice program for new hunters that i have ever seen. It directly gets kids involved, educated and experienced. Almost every kid that gets into the program leaves with their own firearm.

It is quite impressive.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
NRA is the only group i currently belong to.

Tried DU and Delta, NWTF, and a few state groups. Even started a state group.

Whichever one makes you smile, join them.

Oregonboy

WKR
Rocky Mountain goat alliance seems pretty legit, at least, I haven’t seen anything that would make me second guess them thus far.

CorbLand

WKR
Use to have a membership to RMEF but haven’t renewed. I work with the chapter head and got so sick of listening to him complain about things going on here but won’t take the time to even email the wildlife board. I thought the whole point of conservation groups was so they could use the weight of their members. He bitched and moaned when Utah talked about changing the OTC elk tags to a draw. Asked him where the **** was RMEF at the meeting? Just more excuses.

Basically have given up on all national ones. I think they are all self serving. They all do some good though.

Mt Al

WKR
I belong to zero conservation orgs and am conflicted as they all do some good and I'm benefiting from their efforts. I should just donate without becoming a member.

In a past life I worked with several of the organizations making some of the large run products that are bought and auctioned off at events. Nothing wrong, illegal, most of the people were awesome, but was amazed at how hard volunteers are expected to work (thank you all!), how organizations expected companies to somehow 'buy in' and reduce profits for the cause, and where some of the funds went. It's hard to argue RMEF's benefits when they keep public land open, buy access, etc., and how DU helps keep ducks migrating all across America.