Conservation Organization

Any specifics on why several of you dislike BHA? I’m not saying they are great… or even good. I generally like (from the little I’ve read) that they are strong supporters of keeping public lands out of private hands but I don’t know much else.

CorbLand

WKR
Any specifics on why several of you dislike BHA? I’m not saying they are great… or even good. I generally like (from the little I’ve read) that they are strong supporters of keeping public lands out of private hands but I don’t know much else.
Use the search feature. Tons of threads regarding it.

Hoodie

WKR
RMEF, MDF, BHA.

RMEF- Have opened up tons of access. Several properties within 2-3 hours of me have been purchased by them and opened for hunting. As stated before, very high percentage of funds goes to on the ground work.

MDF- Mule deer need all the help they can get. Especially in Oregon.

BHA- Vocal opposition against threats to predator hunting/trapping. Outspoken opposition to the sale of the Elliot State Forest in Oregon and to limiting hunter access when several wilderness areas in the Cascades went to a permit access system.

I'm not involved enough in any of them, but paying my $25 makes me feel nice.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR

From the article: BHA members are politically diverse: 32 percent of respondents identify as Independent, 25 percent as Republican and 16 percent as Democrat (17 percent responded “none of the above” and 10 percent preferred not to answer)

This is the primary reason. 16 percent of the members are Democrats and 32 percent are independents. Given the trend towards hyper-partisanship here lately, people on both ends of the spectrum are likely to lump independents in with whatever party they happen to dislike.

This means that 48% at minimum do not identify as Republican, and maybe as much as 58%-75% (depending on how many of the 10% that preferred not to respond/"none of the above" are closet liberals/Independents).

Most western hunters are Republicans. So they prefer conservation organizations with membership that is predominately Republican.

To me it makes sense that you'd have a lot of independents/centrists, particularly in a conservation group with a public land emphasis. Neither of the two major parties in the US has a solid position on all the key issues that most public land hunters care about. It's just how it is.

Last edited:
BHA is just sketch. Look at their annual reports. Here's the 2020 one:

Most of their expenses are on programs (of which biggest expense is salaries, not grants or donations or actually doing something), which makes sense, but look into that and it gets sketch to me. In their annual report they don't call out specific programs, but they call out areas of "programmatic focus" and list specifically "access and opportunity," "conservation of public lands and waters," and "fair chase."

Yet go on their website (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/programs) and it's completely misaligned. There you'll see Armed Forces, Collegiate, and Hunting for Sustainability programs. How are they so misaligned? This is supposed to be a professional organization.

They have loads of cash, so they're not spending what people are giving. Another red flag.

The genesis is sketch.

The lack of engagement on predator management and trapping regulations is sketch.

I'm not going to look it up again (did years ago), but one year they dumped all their cash donating to one US Senator's election campaign. Like, I can just do that myself and save their administration expenses cut.

BHA is probably not as evil as some make them out to be, but for my dollar, and probably yours too, there are better ones out there.

Hoodie

WKR
The lack of engagement on predator management and trapping regulations is sketch.

I mentioned engagement on those issues specifically in my post for a reason.

I mentioned engagement on those issues specifically in my post for a reason.

What about release of wolves in Colorado? Where did they end up on that one?

Hoodie

WKR
What about release of wolves in Colorado? Where did they end up on that one?

I guess I can copy and paste that as well. Although given that we both have Google machines this seems unnecessary.

" BHA does not endorse advancing wildlife management policies and decisions by state or federal legislation or voter referendums and ballot initiatives. "

Recommendations from the statement:
  • Update Colorado’s dated wolf management plan to incorporate new science, wildlife and habitat data, and the growing body of evidence that suggests natural colonization of the grey wolf (Canis lupus) is a reality in Colorado.
  • Direct the appropriate decision-makers to study, evaluate, and secure new sources of funding to support the financial burden of wolf management in Colorado including both the costs of additional staffing for wolf-related management activities and mitigation expenses for livestock losses.
  • Develop a plan to evaluate potential livestock depredations and community conflicts, provide for ongoing monitoring, and create a compensation program that mitigates livestock losses.
  • Direct the appropriate decision-makers to create durable policies for any new livestock compensation programs that protect state-based revenue sources provided by hunters and anglers (Game Cash Fund) and create legal compliance with and insulation for federal funds provided by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 (Pittman–Robertson).
  • Facilitate cross-jurisdictional collaboration with neighboring states and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service related to future wolf management needs in Colorado.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
I was watching that one in real time. They weighed in after it didn’t even matter anymore.

RMEF did the same thing with SB-22 in California. I still pay my dues. MDF actually didn't mention a single one of the aforementioned threats, before or after the dust settled. I still pay my dues to them too.

There just isn't a defensible argument that BHA is less vocal on predator/trapping issues than other conservation organizations. You can't convince me otherwise.

N.ID7803

WKR
Foundation for Wildlife Management F4WM.ORG . If you hunt Montana or Idaho and soon to be in Wyoming. RES or NON RES you should consider being a member. Check them out.

RMEF did the same thing with SB-22 in California. I still pay my dues. MDF actually didn't mention a single one of the aforementioned threats, before or after the dust settled. I still pay my dues to them too.

There just isn't a defensible argument that BHA is less vocal on predator/trapping issues than other conservation organizations. You can't convince me otherwise.

What do you think of my other points?

Jesus H. I see why it’s a bad idea to ask about BHA 😉

I did go back and read as much as I could stomach. My general take is that most folks who care about BHA fall into one of two groups:

1- The ones who hate them because someone that was once a board member said he thinks we should have some gun control. And a lot of other nonsense not actually related to the BHA mission.

2- People who support protecting public lands from privatization. Even if some of those people strongly disagree on other topics; they have that in common.

I’m not a BHA member. Now I’m more interested and will conduct my research elsewhere.

Hoodie

WKR
What do you think of my other points?

Internet arguing is ineffective and usually doesn't change anyone's mind on anything.

Knowing this, I limit myself to engaging with statements that can be very easily proven wrong with no real counterargument. I like to pick the kind of points that can be dismissed with some copy and pasted links.

You said "the lack of engagement on predator management and trapping issues is sketch." That can be shut down by just showing the repeated engagement with those issues.

Your other points are not like that.

"The genesis is sketch"

I got nothing man. This is too vague for me to say anything about. What's the genesis? What about it sketches you out?

"I'm not going to look it up again (did years ago), but one year they dumped all their cash donating to one US Senator's election campaign."

If you don't tell me which year it was, or which Senator, or where you found the information, how am I supposed to look for any facts that might go against (or support) this claim? For all I know you're totally right and BHA is actually just a scam that does two things:

1) Voice opposition to threats to predator hunting and trapping.
2) Contributes 100% of their available funds to certain Senators' campaigns during certain years.

"In their annual report they don't call out specific programs, but they call out areas of "programmatic focus" and list specifically "access and opportunity," "conservation of public lands and waters," and "fair chase."

I'd say the Oregon chapter has repeatedly been involved with threats to the above (although not fair chase. We haven't really had any fair chase debates pop up recently). If all they did was raise awareness about things like the sale of the Elliot State Forest, the inability for OTC archery elk hunters to access the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness without a permit, etc. that would be worth my $25 a year. It's like $2 a month.

Last edited: