Colorado wolves released today

I'm assuming a lot of decisions are being made based on studies such as this:

It states that in WY, ID, and MT where wolves are present - the elk population and hunter harvests have mainly increased.

I don't know what to make of this because everywhere I listen, and also the common sense meter tells me that both should decrease. How would the introduction of wolves NOT have an impact, I have no clue.

My point being is that it would be great to have some factual (not anecdotal) information to refute these studies. It's easy to have an emotional response but that won't get us very far unfortunately.

I've heard the "in MT, elk harvests have increased since wolf intro" line of bullshit to pretend like there is zero impact a bunch of times. They have increased in areas where there aren't notable wolf populations. Not the case in prime wolf range.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Agencies, companies can fire you for what you say and do… even online. Protected speech protects you from criminal action, but not from getting fired
I believe you're right.

Just shows where their values lie.

1jeds

FNG
@Hnthrdr @Elmer J. Fudd

Thanks I will check it out. I drive a desk for a living so listening to podcasts would be a sport I could gold medal in.

I just don’t want to listen to one that sounds like some people here. I don’t mind emotion, it’s what makes us human for hells sake, but I want to actually learn something useful. If I want pure emotion, I will talk to my wife.

Drive a desk for a living...I do the same, I'll have to use that line. I agree on trying to find a non-emotional summary of the facts so I can make my own decisions. It's seemingly harder and harder to not have a polarized take on every single topic. Maybe a polarized view is warranted, but then again maybe not.

I liked what the GoHunt guys did recently with the proposed changes to Utah regulations (required reporting, antler restrictions, scopes on muzzleloaders, etc.) on their podcast. It seemed to cover studies from other states and was pretty level headed with the pros and cons. I'm sure they'll come out with a podcast on the wolf topic.

Lawnboi

WKR
Shit I was wrong when another court ruling put the esa back on we “can’t “ shoot them. South Dakota has a lot of big coyotes…..

View attachment 645243
Same thing happened in WI. Off the list, on the list.

We had a season one year, they went over the quota in hours. Then next year back on the list.

If wolves are on the list so should deer in a few counties in northern wi.

CorbLand

WKR

We had a season one year, they went over the quota in hours. Then next year back on the list.

Same with Utah. I knew at one point you could shoot them state wide but not anymore.

CorbLand

WKR
Drive a desk for a living...I do the same, I'll have to use that line. I agree on trying to find a non-emotional summary of the facts so I can make my own decisions. It's seemingly harder and harder to not have a polarized take on every single topic. Maybe a polarized view is warranted, but then again maybe not.

I liked what the GoHunt guys did recently with the proposed changes to Utah regulations (required reporting, antler restrictions, scopes on muzzleloaders, etc.) on their podcast. It seemed to cover studies from other states and was pretty level headed with the pros and cons. I'm sure they'll come out with a podcast on the wolf topic.
That was a good podcast. Like you said, they presented information and used that information to back their opinions, and also had some emotional arguments in there. Like I said, emotion is what makes us human and it is a necessary thing but when it gets to the point of overriding the ability to think logically, its a determent, not a benefit.

intunegp

WKR
Wow. I posted my thoughts above thinking the 5 released wolves could make their way down the corridor to this area, but it’s crazy they went and released additional wolves like this. I didn’t see this in the news. I wonder if they’ve done these types of non publicized releases in other places and have only notified local ranchers. Around green mountain reservoir there are a couple of overpasses for animal migration. Seems like they are placed in a good spot to take advantage of migration and wintering grounds…. Lots of private land too. Can’t imagine this going well. I stated above that I love to hunt this area for coyotes and now I’m going to love this area even more :) I hike the gore range thoughout the summer/fall with my kids and will be on the lookout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told by a friend that works and guides on several properties in Colorado and Wyoming that the 5 wolves Monday were not the first to be released in the state recently...claimed his info was from CPW employees. I wouldn't gamble on it based on his word but I had already been wondering if they'd really make a news cycle out of it every time they let a few go.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I own some ranch property in Grand/Summit County and I just received the update below. We have a significant amount of deer and elk on our property, and run about 300 head of cattle and calves in the spring and summer. Very concerning. Headed up there this weekend, will be bringing my camera (and pistol) with me from now on when I venture out.

Dear ___, As I am sure you all are aware of the recent release of 5 Wolves near Radium Colorado "which is just on the back side of the mountain from ____", Today there were 2 additional wolves released just south of Green Mountain Reservoir between ______ and Silverthorne. This location is only a few miles south of the Ranch. Due to personnel safety and preventing the general public from following CPW vehicles and personnel, they have decided not to make any further press releases on the Wolf release until the project is complete.

Please note the severity and proximity of the situation to the Ranch. CPW is not notifying anyone of the location of the release of the wolves nor are they communicating with landowners or agricultural producers of the process of the project. We are relying on local knowledge and first hand sightings to keep people aware.
If you feel you see what may be a Wolf, Please reach out to staff.
I was just wondering if they were going to get another release in this week. Seemed I read somewhere they were trying to get the first ten on the ground within a weeks time.

I'm pretty familiar with this area, family house in Silverthorne, hunt/hike it regularly, work in the area and shoot frequently on BLM East of Green Mountain Res... There is no state land South of the reservoir other than the SWA right on the highway/river. Meaning they likely had an private landowner already in the que to release there. That is shocking!

It is certainly prime winter habitat along with some large cattle operations. I was already planning a Christmas drive up there to see how many animals where showing up to the grounds. The spotter and the camera will be in the truck.

intunegp

WKR
Guys,

This will be the only source you hear, but CPW just released 2 more wolves in Heeney literally right off the road around Green Mountain Reservoir. They have not announced this one. There may be some posts circulating on local groups on social media.

They are doing this in secret. The five in Radium are just the start.

I will be glassing from my deck tonight and reporting back.

This is in addition to the two from yesterday that the property owner got a letter about?

intunegp

WKR
Probably the same two then if its Heeney.

I would guess that "just south of Green Mountain Reservoir" and Heeney are the same thing. The way you said they "just" released them made it sound like you witnessed something this morning lol. Just wanted to be clear.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I would guess that "just south of Green Mountain Reservoir" and Heeney are the same thing. The way you said they "just" released them made it sound like you witnessed something this morning lol. Just wanted to be clear.
Just saw the above post! Yep same exact spot. Friend of a friend witnessed it.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I was just wondering if they were going to get another release in this week. Seemed I read somewhere they were trying to get the first ten on the ground within a weeks time.

I'm pretty familiar with this area, family house in Silverthorne, hunt/hike it regularly, work in the area and shoot frequently on BLM East of Green Mountain Res... There is no state land South of the reservoir other than the SWA right on the highway/river. Meaning they likely had an private landowner already in the que to release there. That is shocking!

It is certainly prime winter habitat along with some large cattle operations. I was already planning a Christmas drive up there to see how many animals where showing up to the grounds. The spotter and the camera will be in the truck.
I have a shooting range I set up off Williams Peak Rd during the winter after hunting seasons with steel you are welcome to. I will also be glassing the back of Green Mountain tonight for any movement or perhaps anything on the road after work.

I saw some bucks off 9 this morning (like usual) but nothing that would indicate they were pushed there by wolves since the release.

But, 90% of those homes are second homes anyway, why would they even care ya know? I'm also at ground zero and I am furious about all this.

Last edited:
The media is saying $15000 per animal for wolf depredation can this be right or did they add a zero to make it seem like ranchers are getting rich off it. Not many stock cows worth 15 grand that would have to be a high dollar seed stock registered animal
Payment will be fair market value (fmv) so whatever the animal is worth at the time of death based on current market trends is how it will be payed out.

49ereric

WKR
View attachment 644862
Love this statement.........seems wolves will increace the success rate of Col OTC hunters....lol
Wolves smarten big game up quickly and it will be tougher hunting where they’re currently roaming so hunters hate wolves. Wolf hate up is way up here (if it was ever down)
3 bad winters reduced the deer herd a good bit so doe permits (lottery)were way down in most of the state.
people got used to easy deer hunting and are pissed cuz it is no longer easy here some seasons.
some cattle here a few miles for from me but haven’t heard of any losses but I don’t socialize much.

Just dropped off a couple UPS packages at my local ODFW, and they had just caught another one. He’s headed your way Colorado. At least I got to tell him good riddance.

NRA4LIFE

WKR

I hear ya. I am part owner of a bunch of ground in Price County that is now almost devoid of deer.