Colorado Unit 7 - Rawahs on Fire

Raptyr

FNG
Yeah i figured it was up in that area... could have been a stove or a fire from a hiker/camper up there that started it. The amount of people in the wilderness area in the summer is crazy.... Hikers and campers literally everywhere and 0 cell service.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ugh. Camped up there last year. Crazy people start campfires in a place like that.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
This is the fire an hour ago. Pic taken from the North Park/Walden side looking East.

View attachment 206722

Here it is from the other side, from Niwot.

9f41367488e5d42c4e2d7afff54092bf.jpg

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
The forest service called a buddy of mine this afternoon:

“Got a call from forest service. They say this is a low priority fire until the ones around grand junction are out. Expect it to be 12000 by tonight”

woods89

WKR
I've been up in country close to there a few times. There is a lot of fuel up there.........

Do you who are more local think it will stay north of 14, or is it going to jump?

Raptyr

FNG
That's a bummer for sure. Hope they needed an excuse for some new wall tents.
I've been up in country close to there a few times. There is a lot of fuel up there.........

Do you who are more local think it will stay north of 14, or is it going to jump?
I'm local. 7, 8, 191, 19 and 20 have been my stomping grounds for a decade.. i have hundreds and hundreds of days spent hunting, fishing, backpacking been all over this area. Im originally from Wyoming and spent twice as much time just on the other side if the boarder. The entire area is a tinderbox. Massive stretches of beetle kill and dead fall. If this fire is not a priority at this time its going to get huge. Many of the mountains in this area are basically vertical and super hard to access. If it keeps spreading as fast as it is it will be in the record books. Last update I saw it is 4500 acers... since start at 2pm yesterday. Very possible it jumps to 19 and 20 south of 14

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Based on what ‘windfinder.com’ predicts for Monday about noon, the wind will switch and come from the north. This is where the chance of it jumping 14 (if it doesn’t prior to that) and head SE into some real remote stuff before RMNP

5D8438EE-C3B9-4F27-8F10-8EA84678331B.jpeg

Raptyr

FNG
A friend of mine on the Front Range says there's about 100 acres burning on the east side of 14 as we speak.....
Buckle up boys and girls this is going to ve a nasty one.

Edit: confirmation its on south side of 14 from inciweb

Last edited:
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Reghan Cloudman, spokeswoman for the Roosevelt National Forest, said more than 300,000 acres of U.S. Forest Service land has been closed to protect recreationists from entering the area from connecting trails and to allow firefighters the ability to work without contending with foot and vehicle traffic.