Colorado unit 61

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenDawg3

FNG
Looking for a place to rent from Aug 07 to Sept 30. Was planning to stay at the Rimrock in Naturita but it looks like that is not going to work.

Any ideas?
There are some different AirBNB around in that area and the Nucla area.

Phaseolus

WKR
The population estimate of the Uncompahgre herd was 10,300 with 33% buck to doe in 2022.
There are only 9 DAU's out of 55 in Colorado with higher deer populations. And, there are only two units that comprise this DAU. Units 61 and 62. Most DAU's have more units with less total deer. In terms of population, it's a top 20% DAU in the state.

But, I guess the deer migrated to 62 along with all of the elk. Funny, I keep seeing both in 61, lol.
You must not have been around it in the 80’s. Big change in deer populations of both 62 and 61.

gbflyer

WKR
The population estimate of the Uncompahgre herd was 10,300 with 33% buck to doe in 2022.
There are only 9 DAU's out of 55 in Colorado with higher deer populations. And, there are only two units that comprise this DAU. Units 61 and 62. Most DAU's have more units with less total deer. In terms of population, it's a top 20% DAU in the state.

But, I guess the deer migrated to 62 along with all of the elk. Funny, I keep seeing both in 61, lol.

But man are those 2 units massive.

I hunted with my dad when I was a little kid in 61 before it became a draw area. More so in 62. He said there were no deer when he was a kid in the 50’s yet they could get tags for 4. It got really good in the 70’s. Started heading downhill in the early 80’s and never has recovered. The point restriction has helped. Colorado needs to get a handle on their predators.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
You must not have been around it in the 80’s. Big change in deer populations of both 62 and 61.
You said "except there are very few deer in 61 anymore", and that's just not true. Look at the inventory numbers.

C'mon man, you're comparing it to the way it was 40 years ago.

Of course it's changed in 40 years. Most everything, everywhere has changed in the last 40 years.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
But man are those 2 units massive.

I hunted with my dad when I was a little kid in 61 before it became a draw area. More so in 62. He said there were no deer when he was a kid in the 50’s yet they could get tags for 4. It got really good in the 70’s. Started heading downhill in the early 80’s and never has recovered. The point restriction has helped. Colorado needs to get a handle on their predators.
They are big units, but divide the size by the deer inventory and its still a top 20% DAU. It's just a hard unit to hunt. You really can't glass it well and much of it is dense. That doesn't mean the cats ate 'em all.

The days of pulling off the road in a carbureted short-bed and grabbing the 30-30 off the back window rack to dump a 180" buck staring at you broadside at 50yds in unit 61 are over boys. Sorry to say.

There are some different AirBNB around in that area and the Nucla area.
Thanks. Yeah, I am checking them out. Rimrock finally called back and it looks like that is on.
Price and convenience are big.
Are you up to date on camping areas?

Friend of mine, Steve, in Junction drew 61 1st rifle. He is 70+ years old and had several heart attacks and open heart surgery over the years. He says this may be his last hunt. He's archery hunted the Western Slope since he moved there from Ohio many moons ago. His health is waning and archery is just too much for him now. One of the toughest men I know just knowing what he's been thru and still hunted and killed a bunch of elk. He's taught me a thing or 3. I've been trying to get back to the Western Slope Since I hunted it in 2017 while working in Junction. I'll be back in September! Cant wait to visit my buddy Steve before I head into the elkwoods. Some of you may know him as Telehog on Archerytalk. Been a great elk mentor to me!

Nice bull. I deer hunted the unit in 21 3rd season and seen a couple really nice bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
It was still a bit soggy on top yesterday, Divide road should open up soon making it a bit easier to get around.

Reactions: kjw

HenDawg3

FNG
Thanks. Yeah, I am checking them out. Rimrock finally called back and it looks like that is on.
Price and convenience are big.
Are you up to date on camping areas?
I do know some camping areas around 61 depending on which side and where you’re wanting to hunt. You could DM me if you’d like and I could help you out.

Phaseolus

WKR
You said "except there are very few deer in 61 anymore", and that's just not true. Look at the inventory numbers.

C'mon man, you're comparing it to the way it was 40 years ago.

Of course it's changed in 40 years. Most everything, everywhere has changed in the last 40 years.
I’m up there for 30-40 days in the summer and hunt cow elk there as well. My observations are based on spending many days up there for years. Very few deer anymore.

I do know some camping areas around 61 depending on which side and where you’re wanting to hunt. You could DM me if you’d like and I could help you out.
Great. I am out of town helping an aging relative so I have been slow to reply.
I have 2+ weeks to scout in August. I don't know where I am going to start but hope to make progress in July studying the maps.

Phaseolus

WKR
Just returned from 5 days of camping up there. Divide road opened full length Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.