Colorado shed hunting

Luked

WKR
When do you all start finding sheds?
Girlfriend and i are planning to go out end of Aug for 10 days and do some hiking and fishing.
but was thinking that we might go earlier in the year and do some shed hunting and fishing.
but not sure when the season starts

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not the expert but I believe they drop their antlers more like Jan-Mar turf don't they? Thus later spring and early summer are the prime times before others, the sun, and critters have worked on them.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's pretty competitive these days people get most picked up before the snow melts. Some of Colorado implemented a season but don't remember where

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
I know the Gunnison basin opens on March 15th with some special restrictions, not sure if there are any other areas.

Deer drop heavy from the second week in February through March. Elk start dropping heavy the second half of March through April. It will vary a bit depending on the mountain range. Prepare to be frustrated if you go anywhere other people go. It's gotten ridiculous the last several years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never really gone shed hunting on purpose. I've always just stumbled on them.
You should be golden just watch them on the wintering grounds and you'll be know when the best time to go is. I personally don't like to pressure them much with a bunch snow but around here when one side drops the crowds descends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk