Shed Hunting: Where’s the beef and what’s the best way to manage it?

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Starting a new thread to minimize the derailment of another

It seems there are strong opinions about shed hunting which I admit is curious to me as an Arizonan. The request for information on antler buyers around Denver sparked a debate and maybe we can discuss it here

It seems there is reasonable concern for the protection from displacement while animals are on critical winter range

There also seems to be unreasonable concern about what the public should be entitled to do with public resources and use public lands, with cries for government oversight, overreach, and all out banning

In Arizona, the business does not impact the herds. Other western states have real winters and some have a problem or a perceived problem with encroachment of winter range when the animals are vulnerable and have passed laws to mitigate this. In these instances it seems reasonable to have some reasonable rules to manage this

My opinion in a nutshell as a starting point is that dropped antlers on public land is a public resource and the public should have access to it, and when done ethically is a wholesome and worthwhile activity for a myriad of reasons. Quite obviously, this activity should not be done in a matter that negatively impacts the herds or comes at a notable expense to the species as conservation of the species is the goal of hunters as a group and the general public interest besides. On the topic of emotion-based, reactionary opposition to a legal activity that one doesn’t participate in and therefore feels the need to condemn it outright for these reasons, well, I don’t think very highly of this line of thought. The example that picking up a shed to put on my mantle is just and picking up an antler and selling it is unjust, seems about as reasonable as someone not liking the color of my truck or the type of beer I drink

I absolutely love shed hunting. It’s a great way to get out in the offseason, to find new habitat and learn travel patterns and scout for hunting spots, to spend time outdoors and stay in shape, and to generally find cool stuff. Everything about it is wholesome and what I listed above is celebrated almost universally unless you add “while I was shed hunting” at the end of the sentence, then some people appear to think that completely derails it

So shall we discuss?

Antlers are freaking cool

Found this set while guiding a deer hunt. I still have them. Ethical or unethical???:

GBBRkaP.jpg

Found this set while shed hunting with my daughter. Still have them too. That okay?:

bpuAs8Y.jpg

If I decide I don’t want them anymore for whatever reason, unethical to sell them then?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
When a small portion of the population was picking up antlers it wasn’t a big issue. Since the SM and YouTubers (shed crazy sick for it bros) that promote shed hunting it has become a major issue on the landscape when deer/elk are trying to survive and lowering reproductive rates. Comparing the shed hunting masses on critical winter range vs a few spring granola hikers that stay on trials is a weak argument.

I’ll also mimic others on this forum and say selling of antlers should fall under the same restrictions as wild game meat. Both are a publicly owned wildlife resource and neither should be sold. The only reason I feel this way is because it would benefit the deer and elk which means more opportunity for you and I, that simple. I wish the state agencies didn’t have to implement “shed hunting” seasons but it’s needed now. With that said there are still a ton of people breaking the law and hanging sheds in trees/marking gps points to come back later.

Ive enjoyed finding spring deer antlers in non migratory populations in the past. It also used to be more fun finding antlers in the fall while hunting. That is nearly impossible now.

I enjoy shed hunting. Where I live there is no *obvious* impact to wildlife as we are limited by drought and not winter kill necessarily.

Unfortunately we are having a tough time controlling ourselves as shed hunters. Plenty of examples of this out there, probably just a few bad apples, but I do believe it can negatively affect the herd.

In CA we cannot sell sheds. Honestly I think it’s reasonable that this should be applied in other states. I don’t think wildlife should be commercialized especially if it is having a negative effect.

I also think shed season is a good idea in states affected by winter kill. It should be pushed back far enough to avoid any potential effects on wintering wildlife.

I would also love to see winter range closures for ALL recreation during critical time periods on critical winter range. We already do it to protect wetlands, snowy plovers on the beach, etc. want to get outside with your dog in February? Go to the effing park…

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t sell sheds so I don’t care if there’s a ban on selling them or not. However I think a blanket ban on picking them is dumb, I think perhaps certain zones should not be open until April 15 or something though. Some areas it affects the herds but other areas it doesn’t.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy shed hunting. Where I live there is no *obvious* impact to wildlife as we are limited by drought and not winter kill necessarily.

Unfortunately we are having a tough time controlling ourselves as shed hunters. Plenty of examples of this out there, probably just a few bad apples, but I do believe it can negatively affect the herd.

In CA we cannot sell sheds. Honestly I think it’s reasonable that this should be applied in other states. I don’t think wildlife should be commercialized especially if it is having a negative effect.

I also think shed season is a good idea in states affected by winter kill. It should be pushed back far enough to avoid any potential effects on wintering wildlife.

I would also love to see winter range closures for ALL recreation during critical time periods on critical winter range. We already do it to protect wetlands, snowy plovers on the beach, etc. want to get outside with your dog in February? Go to the effing park…
No offense but this is the most California reply ever.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Starting a new thread to minimize the derailment of another

It seems there are strong opinions about shed hunting which I admit is curious to me as an Arizonan. The request for information on antler buyers around Denver sparked a debate and maybe we can discuss it here

It seems there is reasonable concern for the protection from displacement while animals are on critical winter range

There also seems to be unreasonable concern about what the public should be entitled to do with public resources and use public lands, with cries for government oversight, overreach, and all out banning

In Arizona, the business does not impact the herds. Other western states have real winters and some have a problem or a perceived problem with encroachment of winter range when the animals are vulnerable and have passed laws to mitigate this. In these instances it seems reasonable to have some reasonable rules to manage this

My opinion in a nutshell as a starting point is that dropped antlers on public land is a public resource and the public should have access to it, and when done ethically is a wholesome and worthwhile activity for a myriad of reasons. Quite obviously, this activity should not be done in a matter that negatively impacts the herds or comes at a notable expense to the species as conservation of the species is the goal of hunters as a group and the general public interest besides. On the topic of emotion-based, reactionary opposition to a legal activity that one doesn’t participate in and therefore feels the need to condemn it outright for these reasons, well, I don’t think very highly of this line of thought. The example that picking up a shed to put on my mantle is just and picking up an antler and selling it is unjust, seems about as reasonable as someone not liking the color of my truck or the type of beer I drink

I absolutely love shed hunting. It’s a great way to get out in the offseason, to find new habitat and learn travel patterns and scout for hunting spots, to spend time outdoors and stay in shape, and to generally find cool stuff. Everything about it is wholesome and what I listed above is celebrated almost universally unless you add “while I was shed hunting” at the end of the sentence, then some people appear to think that completely derails it

So shall we discuss?

Antlers are freaking cool

Found this set while guiding a deer hunt. I still have them. Ethical or unethical???:

GBBRkaP.jpg

Found this set while shed hunting with my daughter. Still have them too. That okay?:

bpuAs8Y.jpg

If I decide I don’t want them anymore for whatever reason, unethical to sell them then?
Awesome! Love the smile and I don’t blame you.

Pick them up! No issues. If you want to sell them, I think there should be some oversight. Helps track, who, what, when, where, etc.

If you want to cut firewood for commercial purposes there are regulations. If you want to hunt for animals, regulations. If you want to pick mushrooms for commercial use, regulations and permits for all 3. How can someone argue shed hunting should be a free for all?

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy running a moose through the snow with his drone. Dropped both antlers. He was bragging about going and picking them up. I guess that’s ok. No government involvement!!!

Ucsdryder

WKR
This. Plus an option of picking up sheds durning any hunting season. Problem solved.
The issue is guys don’t follow the law. I was in a spot last year hiking and saw a bunch of bulls in a spot not far from the trail. All had horns. May 1, there wasn’t a shed to be found but the bulls were still around without antlers.

Criminals will be criminals, I get it. But if selling sheds required a commercial license it would make it harder for the honest thief. A ban would make it even harder as it would become a black market item and the buyers would dry up.

Eastfork

FNG
i think a ban on selling them and also closure of more sensitive wintering grounds is needed. something must been done. i love shed hunting to but its turning into a joke. if it werent for social media( money) and being able to sell them for profit, how many of these people would actually still go out and enjoy it.... makes me wonder the motive of chasing animals for a large set while pushing animals around? pride? honor? and social media glory? if not for that would they have any desider to spend time out doors? not saying this true. just truly speculating.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
The issue is guys don’t follow the law. I was in a spot last year hiking and saw a bunch of bulls in a spot not far from the trail. All had horns. May 1, there wasn’t a shed to be found but the bulls were still around without antlers.

Criminals will be criminals, I get it. But if selling sheds required a commercial license it would make it harder for the honest thief. A ban would make it even harder as it would become a black market item and the buyers would dry up.
This 👆🏼

The all winter range closed for all activities part, as well as the “just go to the park” part.
Like it or not, the west is overpopulated. If we want to keep winter range and animals healthy it will probably take some rules and restraint.

Hikers on a trial not bothering wildlife? Deer isn’t just gonna stand there while people walk by. Every trail, road, etc is limiting animals from accessing the surrounding habitat.

I would like to see essentially wilderness type restrictions on known critical winter ranges. Including my home state.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Like it or not, the west is overpopulated. If we want to keep winter range and animals healthy it will probably take some rules and restraint.

Hikers on a trial not bothering wildlife? Deer isn’t just gonna stand there while people walk by. Every trail, road, etc is limiting animals from accessing the surrounding habitat.

I would like to see essentially wilderness type restrictions on known critical winter ranges. Including my home state.
I go hiking year round and often deer and moose just watch me walk by. Just straight up banning being out in the woods seems a little much. I think a ban on selling antlers and some specific shed seasons would be a more widely accepted solution.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I go hiking year round and often deer and moose just watch me walk by. Just straight up banning being out in the woods seems a little much. I think a ban on selling antlers and some specific shed seasons would be a more widely accepted solution.
Not directing this toward anybody in general, but the whole “what’s the difference between hikers and shed hunters” is so dumb. How many shed hunters are walking down hiking marked trails? Not any that want to find sheds! Most shed hunters are hunting sheds in places that elk and deer are living, which is RARELY next to a trail. When I shed hunt, I’m bushwhacking south facing slopes, getting away from trails, glassing for animals then going to those animals. Not a lot of leaf lickers are doing that, actually none.