Shed Hunting: Where’s the beef and what’s the best way to manage it?

Idaboy

WKR
100%. Don’t support the influencers you don’t agree with and don’t support the sponsors and let them know why is the only way I can think to make a difference. Unfortunately I think the “industry” is such a small little circle that companies don’t care
Literally as I read TheTone post, these adds are flashing in front of me in his post....not knocking these businesses, but we all complain about "social media" often on rokslide as we are fed commercial adds the whole time...totally not a fair comparison as many of the commercial sponsors in Rokslide are not "shed hunting" promoters.

Attachments

• 196128E2-CDBE-422D-8FB0-C50AD4664AE3.png
    196128E2-CDBE-422D-8FB0-C50AD4664AE3.png
    395.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2922A9C0-ED3C-4101-B197-0609CCA23CBA.png
    2922A9C0-ED3C-4101-B197-0609CCA23CBA.png
    375.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 64E445E9-B37E-4274-9227-398524CEC3BE.png
    64E445E9-B37E-4274-9227-398524CEC3BE.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 15

fatlander

WKR
Literally as I read TheTone post, these adds are flashing in front of me in his post....not knocking these businesses, but we all complain about "social media" often on rokslide as we are fed commercial adds the whole time...totally not a fair comparison as many of the commercial sponsors in Rokslide are not "shed hunting" promoters.

Bingo.

Rokslide exists because of a love for backcountry hunting, gear, tactics, and camaraderie to a degree. Rokslide persists because of revenue generated from advertisers trying to sell us products.

This is a broad generalization, as there are some incredible people in the outdoor industry, but when big corporations get involved it always divulges to money first, ego second, conservation is convenient for tax write offs and virtue signaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaboy

WKR
Bingo.

Rokslide exists because of a love for backcountry hunting, gear, tactics, and camaraderie to a degree. Rokslide persists because of revenue generated from advertisers trying to sell us products.

This is a broad generalization, as there are some incredible people in the outdoor industry, but when big corporations get involved it always divulges to money first, ego second, conservation is convenient for tax write offs and virtue signaling.

I really enjoy Rokslide and have learned a lot from folks on here....but it does make you wonder if someone developed a similar site, but free of any sponsors, pop up adds or spam emails....

lets face it, podcasts, websites like this, YouTube/Facebook, "social media" are heavily reliant on advertising and as they succeed the leverage of advertising and commercial interests grow exponentiallly.

I am not trying to slam rokslide, nor am I questioning the integrity of those who manage the site, but just trying to call it like I see it

fatlander

WKR
I really enjoy Rokslide and have learned a lot from folks on here....but it does make you wonder if someone developed a similar site, but free of any sponsors, pop up adds or spam emails....

lets face it, podcasts, websites like this, YouTube/Facebook, "social media" are heavily reliant on advertising and as they succeed the leverage of advertising and commercial interests grow exponentiallly.

I am not trying to slam rokslide, nor am I questioning the integrity of those who manage the site, but just trying to call it like I see it

Agree with you 100%

I love Rokslide, the people, the moderators, and the sponsors.

What you’re spitballing is a subscription based platform that was off limits to anyone from the outside, including advertiser dollars. The problem you’d have is finding people with enough influence to promote it that don’t already have the taste for industry money. Not a chance anyone who’s livelihood depends on the industry is burning those bridges.

TheTone

WKR
Bingo.

I tend to typically think of forums a little differently that said I’m always skeptical of reading product reviews by people that have a pro staff, sponsorships or business relationship with the product they are “reviewing”

Idaboy

WKR
Agree with you 100%

I love Rokslide, the people, the moderators, and the sponsors.

What you’re spitballing is a subscription based platform that was off limits to anyone from the outside, including advertiser dollars. The problem you’d have is finding people with enough influence to promote it that don’t already have the taste for industry money. Not a chance anyone who’s livelihood depends on the industry is burning those bridges.

Oh I get it.....I spittballing , dreaming etc....it's funny how hard it is to actually have open discussions devoid of commercial interests, sorry to Derail the OP topic

Ucsdryder

WKR
Oh I get it.....I spittballing , dreaming etc....it's funny how hard it is to actually have open discussions devoid of commercial interests, sorry to Derail the OP topic
I will say I think Robby has done a really good job not turning rokslide into a big infomercial for sponsors. There have been plenty of threads blasting sponsor products and I’ve yet to see rokslide mods get involved. It gives a lot of credibility.

fatlander

WKR
I will say I think Robby has done a really good job not turning rokslide into a big infomercial for sponsors. There have been plenty of threads blasting sponsor products and I’ve yet to see rokslide mods get involved. It gives a lot of credibility.

X2 great job on Rokslides part.

There are many a forum where threads and posts that reflect negativity about sponsors disappear

Rokslide isn’t like those places.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Not directing this toward anybody in general, but the whole “what’s the difference between hikers and shed hunters” is so dumb. How many shed hunters are walking down hiking marked trails? Not any that want to find sheds! Most shed hunters are hunting sheds in places that elk and deer are living, which is RARELY next to a trail. When I shed hunt, I’m bushwhacking south facing slopes, getting away from trails, glassing for animals then going to those animals. Not a lot of leaf lickers are doing that, actually none.
I've hunted and backpacked for over 30 years now... I've seen more deer and elk within 200 yards of a road or trail than I have "GoInG dEeP!"