WKR
Some more info about the new shed hunting regulations

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Collection and Possession of Shed Antlers

Shed Antler and Horn Hunting in Colorado
Information and Frequently Asked Questions
​​
What are the new regulations?

On Thursday, January 11, 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to prohibit shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30, annually. This year, the new regulations will be enforced on public lands beginning March 2.

In addition, to further protect the Gunnison sage-grouse, the new regulations include a time-of-day closure in the Gunnison Basin May 1 - 15 from sunset to 10 a.m. This closure applies to public lands in Game Management Units 54, 55, 66, 67, 551.

Why is this necessary? How does shed hunting hurt deer, elk and other wintering wildlife?
The purpose of this regulation is to reduce stress on wintering big game animals during the time of year when deer, elk, pronghorn and moose are most vulnerable. Stress can result in decreased body condition, increased mortality and decreased fawn/calf survival. These regulations protect the health of Colorado's big game herds.​

Why were these dates chosen?
These dates closely align with restrictions in neighboring states. Utah has closed shed antler hunting statewide until April 1. Wyoming prohibits the collection of shed antlers and horns from January 1 through April 30 on public lands west of the Continental Divide. The CPW Commission chose to align its restrictions more closely with Wyoming, where Colorado gets its biggest influx of both shed antler hunters and wildlife.

Why are other kinds of recreation and hunting still allowed in areas where shed hunting is restricted?
While it is true that these restrictions may overlap with some seasons, such as the spring hunting season for turkeys, the amount of pressure put on the animals will be limited by the number of hunting license holders. Hikers and bikers also tend to put less pressure on animals by staying on established trails, whereas dedicated shed hunters often explore an entire area in a grid pattern, searching it systematically.

What is CPW going to do to let all recreationists know about the shed hunting restriction?
As more people enjoy each season Colorado has to offer, and new forms of recreation continue to emerge, it will be very important for CPW staff to work with recreation organizations and local communities to get the word out. Protecting our wintering wildlife is something we have to do together. Everyone involved in education needs to help educate people who are out on public lands. We will also be working with local visitors bureaus to help get the information to people visiting Colorado.

What are the penalties for violations?
Each violation comes with a $50 fine and $18 surcharge. Additionally, possession of antlers during the closure on public lands west of I-25 can also be counted as a separate ($68) violation with each individual antler being considered a possible violation offense.

What about private lands?
The CPW Commission chose not to include a private land requirement in its decision to enact a shed hunting closure in Colorado.

Is shed and horn hunting growing in popularity?
Although shed hunting is not a new activity in Colorado, there is evidence that it is rapidly growing in popularity. At the CPW Commission's January meeting, both the commissioners and members of the public noted they had seen a big increase in shed hunting around the state.

In some states, you need a permit to hunt sheds. Is Colorado considering the same?
The requirement of a priced permit for collecting shed antlers and horns is a novel concept that would be precedent-setting in the western U.S. Although the CPW Commission decided not to require a permit at its latest meeting, it is an issue it may revisit in the future.

Will the BLM/Forest Service/Sheriff's Office, enforce the new regulation as well?
These agencies will notify CPW if they catch violators and coordinate with CPW officers to write the tickets.

Why do people like to hunt sheds?
There are many different reasons why people enjoy shed hunting. Some people shed hunt in order to gain information on an animal or herd's habits when building a hunting strategy for the coming year. Some just enjoy the thrill of finding a connection with Colorado wildlife out on the trail. Others recognize that people will pay money for shed antlers and hunting for them has become a business.

Once an antler or horn drops, why is it still the purview of CPW? It is no longer 'wildlife.'
Shed antlers or shed horns are still considered "wildlife" based on the statutory definition, which includes any parts thereof and whether alive or dead.

Have there been past restrictions?
Previously there were two localized antler collection closures in place, one for public lands in the Gunnison Basin and one for public lands in the Eagle and Roaring Fork Valleys. The problem with these closures was that it was moving the antler collection pressure to other areas of the state without closures, but still with important winter range habitats. The only other restriction that is also in place is the harassment of wildlife statute, which can be written to any individual who is harassing wildlife, including shed collectors. A harassment ticket is $137.

What if I'm doing something unrelated, like hiking, and find an antler?
If you are hiking in an area where there is currently a shed antler and horn collecting closure and you see an antler or horn, you are advised to leave it alone. There is no way for a CPW officer to differentiate between you and someone who entered the area for the purpose of shed hunting. ​

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doubtful those fines will curtail any illegal activities. With an elk antler worth almost double more than the fine amount. Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Some more info about the new shed hunting regulations

Additionally, possession of antlers during the closure on public lands west of I-25 can also be counted as a separate ($68) violation with each individual antler being considered a possible violation offense.

This needs clarifying or it will turn this law into the same "enforcement" as the magazine limit from several years ago.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Doubtful those fines will curtail any illegal activities. With an elk antler worth almost double more than the fine amount. Good luck

It curtailed me when they closed several of our winter ranges. Like locks, it'll keep the honest guys honest. Now if everyone just gets out with their optics and starts shed hunting like gentleman, we'll be able to turn in a lot of the cheaters.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in total agreement with you Robby some guys follow the rules because it's the right thing to do some others need more incentive/repercussions to hold themselves to that standard. A limited number never will have any standards.

Last year during Utah's closure a bunch of guys were busted by posting on social media. I'm hopeful guys will report violations because after all those cheaters are stealing those very opportunities from them.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
sure thing,
I just wish we could earn preference points for turning in cheaters, like we can for poachers.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
They have similar closures in areas of Washington. I'm sure they reduce the impact to wildlife some, but it seems most of the closed area's are picked pretty clean by time opening day hits.

On a positive note. Its created another opening day for folks to look forward to. Break out the glass, spot your horns, then make a mad dash when the gun goes off.

Might be kind of weird with the Colorado law though. Seems it would be legal for a guy to wander around and GPS all the sheds during the closure and then run around to all the waypoints at 12:01 AM on the opener.

sndmn11

WKR
Might be kind of weird with the Colorado law though. Seems it would be legal for a guy to wander around and GPS all the sheds during the closure and then run around to all the waypoints at 12:01 AM on the opener.

Exactly my point in the other thread.
There is also internal conflict in that private land shed hunting is legal, but "possession of antlers during the closure on public lands west of I-25 can also be counted as a separate ($68) violation with each individual antler being considered a possible violation offense." One could also read that verbatim and conclude that "antlers" means just that, and is not specific to sheds found during the closure. As a former law enforcement officer in this state, I guarantee there will be an instance of a citation issued due to a letter of the law interpretation versus a spirit of the law common sense approach, Silly laws tend to cost more financial on an exponential level when they are challenged or appealed in the court system.

Thedeerfarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot say I think the law will be overly effective. If the goal is to keep the animals away from people, they'd have to close it to hikers too. It'll be too bad to not be able to find as many either, I've already spoken with a few guys that have no plans to abide by it.

elkduds

WKR
I cannot say I think the law will be overly effective. If the goal is to keep the animals away from people, they'd have to close it to hikers too. It'll be too bad to not be able to find as many either, I've already spoken with a few guys that have no plans to abide by it.

We'll be reporting them if we see it.

Phaseolus

WKR
Yep, some of us will be watching and documenting illegal behavior of any kind. Pictures will be a big help in catching a new type of poacher. personally I think the way to deal with sheds is to make them illegal to sell. Collect all you want, stack em up in your yard, get rid of the bone pimps.

gbflyer

WKR
What are y'all that are going to be turning everyone in out there for? Earning a Junior G-Man Badge? Just curious.

Phaseolus

WKR
Deer herds in Colorado are in bad shape, anything we can do to help is a good thing. I’ll be out there doing what I always am, dropping yotes, but not in proximity to game herds though. I will also be paying attention to the yahoo’s out there running around, if you have never seen them out in western Colorado shed hunting then you are out of your league, y’all.

Thedeerfarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, some of us will be watching and documenting illegal behavior of any kind. Pictures will be a big help in catching a new type of poacher. personally I think the way to deal with sheds is to make them illegal to sell. Collect all you want, stack em up in your yard, get rid of the bone pimps.
I agree with reporting them, I just hope it is enough to deter them. Ideally, I would say it would count as a strike against hunting and fishing privileges. If I remember right, Colorado operates on a point system for CPW licenses too.

Making them illegal to sell seems like it would kill it for most people, but then you lose the whole industry of people who use them to construct cabinet pulls, chandeliers, etc. I have only snagged a handful in Colorado. Most of my shed hunting is in Illinois where I know all the deer on my farm. I haven't sold any, but it seems like making it illegal could potentially have repercussions.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just dug this up… pumped for another year of finding a fraction of what I used to on May 1…

I have only found two antlers after may 1 since this closure started in 2018. Have been out may 1 and found nothing but boot tracks. People don't abide by this law and it's pretty unenforceable. Only the honest guys abide... oh well, good thing I have a ton of antlers and deadheads since before the closure so I can't complain. Here's a pile in 2018 from many years before

Attachments

• 20160202_214359.jpg
    20160202_214359.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 29
Who is going to enforce this? There already isn’t enough game wardens to or forest service law to enforce the rules we already have.